What is the other option for diving doubles beside bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vintage divers use a horse collar BC and web harness

I guess the big question is; Why don't you want to dive a back plate?

From what I've heard, some of the "jacket designed" bc's that claim to be good for diving doubles are just failures...not that the units aren't great for diving single cylinders, but they don't quite make it for anything more. I've seen "adapters" that somehow weave through your cam bands, but they don't look stable at all (someone at my local quarry was selling one, and I had to ask what it was when I saw it...I wouldn't try it, it looked like a set of doubles falling off your bc waiting to happen!)

I have a back plate, and it "marries" with my doubles very well! :D

As has been mentioned IMHO the only legitimate alternative is sidemount.

Thanks for the ideas. let be be clear. I love my backplate, even for single. I am moving to double and will be sure using backplate.

The reason I asked because my one of my usual buddy who also wants to do double (because I keep talking about), but he refuse to use switch to a backplate. He currently is using zeagle ranger, and he claim he can make it work for double. So I just want to see if not backplate, what is a legititmate setup.

More on this buddy, he basically is an anti-DIR, so no backplate, no long hose, not even agree to the default horizontal position in water (especially in safety stop). He basically doesnt see the "NEED" of doing these. I am giving up trying to convince him.

ScubaPro Classics have a shaped backplate that is designed to mate well with a a single and with doubles (that's why the backplate assembly bolts are hollow, and on a standard 11" spacing.

That said, Transpac or BP/W is probably the only sensible alternative since dobles diving usually at least might come with deco obligation, and to sling tanks you need a harness.

Thanks for the ideas. let be be clear. I love my backplate, even for single. I am moving to double and will be sure using backplate.

The reason I asked because my one of my usual buddy who also wants to do double (because I keep talking about), but he refuse to use switch to a backplate. He currently is using zeagle ranger, and he claim he can make it work for double. So I just want to see if not backplate, what is a legititmate setup.

More on this buddy, he basically is an anti-DIR, so no backplate, no long hose, not even agree to the default horizontal position in water (especially in safety stop). He basically doesnt see the "NEED" of doing these. I am giving up trying to convince him.

Scuba Training involves learning, and learning requires an open mind.

Success, and the ultimate enjoyment of your new skills is mix of the right goals, right instructor and right teammates.

Tobin

So don't convince him ... let him struggle. Just be careful what sorts of dives you agree to do with him.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
So a backplate is DIR only??? :shocked2: Hmmm interesting concept your friend has! I look at a backplate as a means to an end :idk:

Not to turn this into a "bp/w vs. jacket" thread...I used a jacket BCD for the first few years, tried a Transpac, and liked it, then a backplate, and liked it more. When I went to doubles, it was a no brainer?!?!

AS I said in my earlier post, I've seen the adapters for doubles, and I wouldn't trust them...but let him take his own lumps....I'd be interested in seeing how things progress over time.:popcorn:

1) Backplate and longhose is not owned by DIR. Is he also anti-commonsense?

2)You need a new buddy.

Back
Top Bottom