What is the appeal of Lake, Cold, Low vis diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey:
Whats the appeal????
Obviously someone who has to ask this question has never been to my favorite cold water, low Vis quarry in Ohio "WhiteStar" and had the pleasure of swimming to the sunken Frito Lay Truck, had the courage to navigate to the old Barney Fife Sheriff car, exerienced the thrill of sitting on the sunken scuba toilet, the rush of riding the proped up scubacycle while your buddies take your picture, or the pride of overcoming your worst fear that the 12 year old fishing above is not going to hook you and think hes got the big one as he sets his hook. But seriously as I come from an area with no warm water we don't have much options. I really don't think its about what you see every time your down, its about the experience of diving, being with friends, buying better equipment than your friends so they have to spend more to out do you, camping, and doing an activity myself and the fiancee love to do together. "Granted I think its because she can't yell at me with a regulator in her mouth! " But whether in Cayman, Bonaire, St Thomas, Aruba, or The White Star Rock Quarry we always have a good time and meet alot of nice people. And theres something nice about getting back to town and going to the club to watch the Bengals game and you talk to people and they tell you about their weekend of lawn work and playing a round of golf, and they say what did you do? And you say not much just went camping and quarry diving for a couple days. They get a look on their face that says it all "What a dull life I lead!!" Priceless
David
If you get there the right time of year and/or week, the viz can be between 70-100ft! Hardly low viz! I used to live 15 minutes from there and that wasn't the exception, but the rule. :wink:

Well ya got me there, I have seen the visiblity pretty good, I hear its alot better in the winter but have never dove it any colder than 58 degrees. That was about all I could take in a 7mm. "That was surface temp colder below". I did buy a drysuit just have not had the opportunity to try it yet. Anyway if I'm not mistaken I think we will be at Roatan at CoCo View together next month. Look forward to meeting you

Because its there.
I heard a quote once that somes it up for me.
"The two constants in life are beer and diving. One can get you through times without the other ,but life without either is intolerable."

DavidHickey:
Well ya got me there, I have seen the visiblity pretty good, I hear its alot better in the winter but have never dove it any colder than 58 degrees. That was about all I could take in a 7mm. "That was surface temp colder below". I did buy a drysuit just have not had the opportunity to try it yet. Anyway if I'm not mistaken I think we will be at Roatan at CoCo View together next month. Look forward to meeting you

I guarantee the viz will be much better at CCV than Whitestar!! :D See ya there!!

In my case, I get to dive the quarries with the dive classes, so it is free. Being finacially challenged, the warm water dives are out for a long time. There is still plenty to see in the cold water, you just have to spend more time in the water and isn't that the goal of diving?

In the great lakes there are wrecks that date back to the 1800's. Wooden ships with the mast still upright. Know how cool is that (pun intended). Diving in the cold water with less vis makes you a better diver. Take a dry suit class and join the fun. If you are in Colombus, you are just a couple hours from hundreds of great wrecks. Leave your GO BUCKEYES shirt at home and come on up.:wink:

PARADISE HUNTER:
Diving in the cold water with less vis makes you a better diver. :wink:
Either that or between the shivering, the bulky dry suit, hood, gloves, heavy boots and the inability to see anything, you don't know what a lousy job you are doing.

In warm water with good vis, EVERYONE can see what you are doing.

:wink::wink:

(Okay, just realized someone might not realize I am just kidding around on a Friday evening...no offense intended to anyone)

Practice.

also, my gear doesnt need to be washed, no dangerous creatures/plants/whatever else, and the ship wrecks preserved in cold water... priceless.

jd950:
Either that or between the shivering, the bulky dry suit, hood, gloves, heavy boots and the inability to see anything, you don't know what a lousy job you are doing.

In warm water with good vis, EVERYONE can see what you are doing.

:wink::wink:

(Okay, just realized someone might not realize I am just kidding around on a Friday evening...no offense intended to anyone)

Well, typically in lakes, you have no currents or anything like that to deal with. So the salt is still it's own beast to be learned and dealt with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom