Cold fresh vs warm salt water diver quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In general (Great Lakes excluded) I would say there are less factors to consider diving fresh water, though my experience there is limited. No tides, currents, not much surf. No big predators (sharks), spiney urchins, jellyfish, etc.
Try diving in the St. Lawrence Seaway, 8 to 9 knot currents, low visibility, freighter traffic over head, or the St. Clair river, 7 to 8 knots current,3 or 4 back eddies across the width of the river, low visibility, freighter traffic overhead.

Adding one example. I've seen a highly experienced Great Lakes wreck technical diver unable to smoothly handle a blue water ascent on an ocean drift dive. You can be a rock star in one environment, but change environments significantly, and you are in many ways a newby all over again.
Try desending in freezing cold green pea soup without seeing the bottom until you are only about 5 feet away along withUnpredictable weather and 5 to 6 foot waves appear that within minutes.The Great lakes are one of the toughest enviorments to dive

Try desending in freezing cold green pea soup without seeing the bottom until you are only about 5 feet away along withUnpredictable weather and 5 to 6 foot waves appear that within minutes.The Great lakes are one of the toughest enviorments to dive
Oh I have. I’ve dived all 5 Great Lakes plus the St Lawrence.

I agree. Very challenging environment.

I don't know how to ask this even. I've only dove in cold fresh water with various visibilities. This includes inland lakes, quarries as well as the great lakes now. I've read repeatedly how some divers are judged for being 'quarry' or 'spring' divers then not being prepared when going out on a reef or whatever in the ocean. I'm trying to find the logic in this? In my very limited experience, it seems like diving in crappy visibility with 7mm wesuit or a drysuit, gloves, hood, and 20+lbs of lead is a little more complex than your vacation to Cozumel dive. Just looking for thoughts and to align myself with reality.
Iam your 7 mm friend,

Cold water diver are better in warmer environment compare to others for the simple reason we are face to harsh conditions. ( my friends down south will say otherwise). You are facing during your dive to zero viz, current, debris etc..Your situational awareness need to be spot on. When the cold hit you, you still need to stay focus to act and react. You are restraint in that 7 mm you still need to move around. When you are going down and you dont even see the bottom you wondering when it will appear. ( In Cozumel you are on the boat and you see quiet clearly the bottom.

I ve been diving in the thousands islands for the last two years in temperature ranging from 9 celcius to 25 celcius. Each dive i need to adapt myself to the conditions. I am diving in different wreck from time to time in the same area. Quiet often cargo ship (and regular boat...)are near by i could ear them loud and clear or even see them from down under.

Back in the days when i was living in PDC, Cozumel and Cancun from 05 to 08 i dove a lot and made various trips to belize, honduras amd galapagos. A part from galapagos i could tell you that diving in warm water is like being in a kindergarten compare to the harsh conditions of up north.

Not only this will be a breeze for you but you have nothing to worry and enjoy the bathtub.When you will be taking out that 20 pounds of led and that 7 mm you will fly like a shrimp. I could say i am a better diver now then i was before, the environment the conditions shape who i am today.

Since i dive in the thousands island and in the st lawrence i always say for each dive i will face my faith and destiny.

Two weeks ago i completed my 28 solo dive since april 26th.

Be safe

Try diving in the St. Lawrence Seaway, 8 to 9 knot currents, low visibility, freighter traffic over head, or the St. Clair river, 7 to 8 knots current,3 or 4 back eddies across the width of the river, low visibility, freighter traffic overhead.
Yes, I've dived in rivers, though not in those circumstances. River diving is kind of a separate thing by itself and of course has it's pitfalls. Not sure how far the incoming tide from the Gulf brings any salt water to the river. But I can see that St. Lawrence diving can be more challenging than many salt water locales.

In general (Great Lakes excluded) I would say there are less factors to consider diving fresh water, though my experience there is limited. No tides, currents, not much surf. No big predators (sharks), spiney urchins, jellyfish, etc.
It seems you never encounter a angry beaver or otter looking to bit you. 😂

Wait, you have a bottom? :)

I can't comment on quarry diving in fresh water as I've never had the experience. But in general, I sincerely believe that a cold water ocean diver can more easily transition / adapt to warm water ocean diving than vice versa.

I learned originally in the pleasantly chilly waters of the Seattle area as well as Oregon Coast and local rivers. I transitioned to warm in Puerto Rico and now live in Florida where the 72 degree springs is as cold as I like and much prefer the warm ocean off the back of a boat. All types of water have their special needs, being able to adapt just makes you better. I do find myself making more dives in a day in warm as it is easier to suit up and get in the water, but that is just me being an old guy

I don't know how to ask this even. I've only dove in cold fresh water with various visibilities. This includes inland lakes, quarries as well as the great lakes now. I've read repeatedly how some divers are judged for being 'quarry' or 'spring' divers then not being prepared when going out on a reef or whatever in the ocean. I'm trying to find the logic in this? In my very limited experience, it seems like diving in crappy visibility with 7mm wesuit or a drysuit, gloves, hood, and 20+lbs of lead is a little more complex than your vacation to Cozumel dive. Just looking for thoughts and to align myself with reality.
If the only thing you do is the same thing over and over you might be very good at that one thing and completely horrible at all of the other things you have never done. You do not know what you do not know until you realize you do not know it.

My observations of quarry divers new to something like WPB or Jupiter is the depths, current and (large) marine life. And when the captain yells out DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, you better be in the water or you will not make the dive. And I have noted that quarry only divers with this first experience are simply not prepared to be kitted up and ready to go for a hot drop (and often with deflated BC/wing), they like to futz around (on the boat and on the surface) and that just does not work out for them.

The more dives you make in different and varied environments and conditions the better you will be as a diver when confronted with something new. And the less equipment you have to futz around with the better off you are IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom