What is the appeal of Lake, Cold, Low vis diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexman24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Maybe someone can explain it to me.
I am a vacation, warm water diver.
I like it because there are so many interesting things to see.

So what is the appeal of diving in lakes, quarries, cold, low vis waters?

Is it just the thrill of the diving itself?
Is it the challenge presented by the conditions?
Maybe sometimes there is something interesting to see?

I'll be interested in hearing the answer to this one as well!

I was just thinking the same thing today as I flew into Nashville over some open quarry pits.

Pamela

Well, for one thing, I'm 3.5 hours from the nearest clear-water diving location. If you want to get wet, you have to work with what you have. I did go to a South Carolina lake about a month ago and it really wasn't too bad. I saw a lot of fish and turtles, and the vis was about 20' in some locations. I really enjoyed myself just because I was diving ANY WHERE. I do go down to the Florida Springs as often as I can, but now I'm getting kind of tired swimming around in a circle. I'm ready to find other challenges so should be going on my first ocean dives this summer.

I personally think that all the cool fish, and "things to see" get in the way of the actual scuba diving.

Fresh water wrecks rule!

Oh and when you dive in the tropics, it is a cake walk.

Well for us in the land of cold water it is entirely accessible anytime for one thing.

We often find artifacts or underwater structures from bygone days.

Cold water is no big deal with the right exposure protection. If you want to dive it's a non issue. The colder water seasons can offer some of the best visibility due to reduced algae and such.

How much visibility do you really need? I can have a very nice time in 10 feet and even 5 works. Below that you need to have the right buddy. You can't see forever so you dive in a smaller space examining what is at hand.

It does have a certain tactical feel to it that you don't get jumping into blue water wearing a shorty!

I get to keep my skills fresh and growing for the price of air fills.

Granted a good part of my diving is in the ocean but we do frequent many freshwater sites especially when the seas are up and it has it's own charm to be sure.

Pete

rexman24:
Maybe someone can explain it to me.
I am a vacation, warm water diver.
I like it because there are so many interesting things to see.

So what is the appeal of diving in lakes, quarries, cold, low vis waters?

Is it just the thrill of the diving itself?
Is it the challenge presented by the conditions?
Maybe sometimes there is something interesting to see?

its shows you aint a puss! lol jk:14:

Stephi:
Well, for one thing, I'm 3.5 hours from the nearest clear-water diving location. If you want to get wet, you have to work with what you have. I did go to a South Carolina lake about a month ago and it really wasn't too bad. I saw a lot of fish and turtles, and the vis was about 20' in some locations. I really enjoyed myself just because I was diving ANY WHERE. I do go down to the Florida Springs as often as I can, but now I'm getting kind of tired swimming around in a circle. I'm ready to find other challenges so should be going on my first ocean dives this summer.

which lake did you dive in?

Things I like about Freshwater diving:

1) I don't have to rinse the gear
2) I never get too hot
3) there is nothing with teeth or venom (except in TX and KY)
4) all the best old, wet rocks are found in freshwater
5) freshwater is a shipwreck time machine
6) the challenge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom