What is the appeal of Lake, Cold, Low vis diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Thrill of diving is the same regardless of water Temperature, or it should be.
The challenge presented by the cold can be overcome quite comfortably in a good Dry Suit and with suitable regs.
If you get bit by the Shipwreck bug then you're hooked for life; if its marine life that gets you excited, there is a lot of that also, just a tad less colorful.
Whether Warm or Cold Water each Dive is what you make it.

Oh I forgot the vis thing, You concentrate better on what you can see with fewer distractions.
We measure vis as follows: 10 ft. vis= 5 ft. left+ 5ft. right.
Just Kidding............. a little.

Unless your just a WWW you have to dive whenever you can. It's nice to go on a carribean vacation a couple times a year, but nothing beats improving your skills like diving in 55-60degree water with 5-10 feet of visibility. :crafty:

do it easy:
I wouldn't call $165 charters cheap- then there are $2000 drysuits and $500 flashlights- it almost starts to sound like a government bid.

hmm... lets add it up. $165 + $2000 + $500..... most trips to the tropics cost more than that just to get there.
A trip to Haigh cost $20 :)

Well, it's not fresh water, but Puget sound qualified for cold, dark and frequently rather opaque. But we do have a lot of sea life, even if it sometimes isn't very colorful. And you still get to be weightless. But the cold, dark water may be part of the reason some of us spend a lot of time doing skills :)

opalobsidian:
I'll be interested in hearing the answer to this one as well!

I was just thinking the same thing today as I flew into Nashville over some open quarry pits.

Pamela

Me too....water temps below 60 degrees & it's only good for fishing to me........

For one its close.

It is also experience, and it is an environment that not everyone dives.

The cost per dive is nice.

Being land based means we're basically at a weekend long party interrupted with some dives to cool off.

And finally, since I practiced all my skills I can enjoy the warm water dives more.

The gear rinsing issue is a little nice, but I think it is offset by all the other gear I haul to the quarry. I'm basically showing up with the scuba gear, overnight gear, plus enough stuff to make it a picnic (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). I might have a heater. It's fun hanging out with other divers, sharing food, and telling lies...stories, I meant stories! Being outdoors and away is also nice.

For me, it's all about the wrecks and wreck photography. I dive year round up here in the great white north, water temps from 32F to 75F or so. Not that I don't like warm tropical water diving, but I can't be on a tropical vacation all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom