What is the appeal of Lake, Cold, Low vis diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can dive up here you can dive anywhere. There is alot to see if you know what you are looking for or at. I welcome the chance to work on buoyancy, propulsion, navigation, and air consumption. If you can skim a silty lake bottom 8-12 inches from the silt, kicking so that vis behind you is not affected, and find your way back to your starting point on a 45 minute dive in 10-15 foot vis and 55 degrees making a minimum of 5-6 turns, and still have over half a tank left (lp95, average depth 35 ft), a dive on a reef with 80-100 ft vis is no work at all.

rexman24:
So what is the appeal of diving in lakes, quarries, cold, low vis waters? ... Is it just the thrill of the diving itself? ... Is it the challenge presented by the conditions?
The appeal of cold fresh water such as the Great Lakes is probably more apparent - lots of well-preserved wrecks, things to see. For cold, low(er) vis inland quarries, the appeal for me is threefold: 1) training - work on skills and techniques, buddy practices, try out new gear and gear configurations, in a way that you cannot do in a pool or the ocean; 2) As H2Andy mentioned, it beats not diving; 3) When you're 3+ hours from a coast, and only 30 minutes from a quarry, it is simply practical (and relatively cheap). Plus, you don't have to worry about being blown out by a storm that creates 6 ft seas. Call me crazy, but there are times I actually prefer calm, 46 degree water with 15 ft vis to being hammered trying to ascend a wildly swinging boat ladder in doubles, while also trying to avoid the effluent of some hurling divers.:D

Besides, what else would I do with my drysuit?

rexman24:
Maybe someone can explain it to me.
I am a vacation, warm water diver.
I like it because there are so many interesting things to see.

So what is the appeal of diving in lakes, quarries, cold, low vis waters?

Is it just the thrill of the diving itself?
Is it the challenge presented by the conditions?
Maybe sometimes there is something interesting to see?
?... because it's there, of course...

JimLap:
If you can skim a silty lake bottom ... [snip]...a dive on a reef with 80-100 ft vis is no work at all.

A dive on a reef with 80-100 ft viz is no work at all anyway. :)

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ COST $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

the K

rexman24:

Yes!

It's also what is available. Unless I want to go on an overnight road trip or get on a plane thats what I have to dive in. I actually have a quarry about five minuets from my house so It's actually very convenient.

To me diving isn't just going to see stuff, if you just want to see stuff you can do that on the television. Diving is a joy in and of itself.

And pretty much all the stuff everyone else has said.

I usually dive in Lake Travis where the viz is less than 10ft. Now, what's the appeal of lake diving?
1. Improve my skills
2. Cold and low viz diving is a lot better than no diving at all (to rephrase H2Andy's statement)
3. It only cost me an airfill and a park fee to dive:)
4. Get the most of my drysuit

Yes it's cold and dark. Where else can i get away from the cell phone and have some peace and quiet. It sure does beat sitting at home watching tv.

rexman24:
Maybe someone can explain it to me.
I am a vacation, warm water diver.
I like it because there are so many interesting things to see.

No APPEAL per se, but rather, diving the hand that's dealt you to keep your skills sharp year round.

The exception might be the Great Lakes. For quality wrecks, the deeper, colder, and darker it gets, the better quality the "museum" is. So you deal with the environment to get to the goal.

Back
Top Bottom