What is the appeal of Lake, Cold, Low vis diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok thanks everyone, some good answers and some good entertainment too.
Im not sure Im convinced but maybe I will try to dive one of those wooden wreaks in one of the Great Lakes some day, being from Michigan and relocated in Ohio it is just natural to be in them.
Not sure about seeing toilets and Frito Lay trucks either as alot of what I love about diving is getting away from a man made enviroment and getting into one far more beautiful and created by a higher power.
thanks again everyone!

do it easy:
Things I like about Freshwater diving:

1) I don't have to rinse the gear
2) I never get too hot
3) there is nothing with teeth or venom (except in TX and KY)
4) all the best old, wet rocks are found in freshwater
5) freshwater is a shipwreck time machine
6) the challenge

#3 is wrong, surfaced next to (2' away) a 10' gator two years ago. No big deal, but still lots of teefs...:D Water mocassin's locally in select areas during the summer also have a high pucker factor.

OK, here's my fab-five:

1) I'm close to (or very close to) all of the great lakes
2) Practice makes perfect - Hones my skills for my big $ warm water vacations
3) Cost Cost Cost
4) 100+ year old shipwrecks are totally cool and not always in bad vis water
5) Frequency of diving is much higher than my local warm water only buddies

The one bad thing:
1) Cold water can be very COLD!

Mike-G

Diving here near the mouth of lake huron offers some great diving experiences,the current here is 9mph and surges to 11mph vis here is between 30 to 50 ft and freighter traffic is always of some concern,diving here is different than diving anywhere else,not for the inexperienced diver alot challenge here!

I figure diving in cold water with poor viz is better by far than not diving at all. I love diving but I live in upstate NY and it is almost 2 hours to the lake, ocean is a lot further and Bonaire is way to far to ge there often (sadly). So Lake George for me every chance I get. Yup cold, poor viz but hey I am blowing bubbles so I am happy :wink:

I tell people that diving in Lake Travis is like playing golf on a municipal course. If you really enjoy golfing and that's what's available, that's where you golf.

1. Great things to see . . . stuff last forever in fresh water
2. The unexpected . . . when you dont expect to see really neat fish, it's fun when they surpise you
3. The challenge
4. It's here . . . I can dive every day
5. commraderie

less'ee here:

1: I GOT cold low-viz lakes around... and am currently a bit short of Carribean reefs
2: Cold puddles is good training for LARGE puddles... like the Great Lakes
3: Ya' can find out where all to big fish hang out... and they'll be there tomorrow
4: Beats the heck outta' swimmin' pools
5: As somebody pointed out... "Shows ya' ain't a wuss..."
6: Keeps me from getting bored with balmy breezes and bathwater warm oceans
7: Neat junk on the bottom... if you can see it...
8: 55 degree thermocline is GREAT on a 98 degree day
9: Yer' zen calm isn't distracted by an abundance of visual enticements.
10: Chicks dig it...
11: It's a... ummm... challenge...
12: Sometimes the water is warmer than the air... that's NEAT...

This year's Western Illinois University Underwater Easter Egg Hunt:

Viz about a foot... or so... give or take...
Temp below thermocline: 45
Air Temerature: 85

... and we're tryin' to find little eggs laying about on the bottom of the lake... YA' GOTTA' LOVE IT!!!!

... oh... and the NUMBER ONE REASON...

Because it makes people who DON'T dive in cold, dark, fresh-water lakes ask questions like, "Why would you WANT to dive in a cold, dark, fresh-water lake?"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom