What is the appeal of Lake, Cold, Low vis diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexman24:
Maybe someone can explain it to me.
I am a vacation, warm water diver.
I like it because there are so many interesting things to see.

So what is the appeal of diving in lakes, quarries, cold, low vis waters?

Is it just the thrill of the diving itself?
Is it the challenge presented by the conditions?
Maybe sometimes there is something interesting to see?

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=191299

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQXEg00jqpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KPxHF4tao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBg5VFNv9o

Coldiver1:
:( I dive Tahoe in January in a 7mm wetsuit. The thing I like about it is that there is not a lot of boat traffic when it is snowing and the water temp is 38 degrees F, you are not likely to accidentaly find a dead body because they don't heat up and rise to the surface like warm water, carrying extra weight makes me feel like a stud and gives me the much needed exercise I require, you can observe the wonders of "shrinkage", it is fun to lose the feeling in your face, (after the initial cold burn,the headache, and the feeling of blacking out subside) and finally it is such a great feeling once the dive has ended and you can get your *** out of that freezing cold water.

Why did the clown keep hitting himself in the head with a hammer?
Cause it felt better when he stopped.

It is all I have around this area.

Awww...it ain't that bad. I would invest in a 6mm hooded vest. I have one and it really makes a difference, even down to 90ft/38degF in Tahoe with my face getting freeze-burnt. :) Totally worth it.

rexman24:

Staying in practice for nice, tropical warm water diving is another good reason. I enjoy my tropical trips more when I have been diving frequently locally as well.

Therefore I will not let more than 2 months go by in the dead of winter locally when I have not dived someplace. Lakes are good because they are normally calmer than oceans. Quarrys are good because then are normally deep. This allows you to practice all your skills.

Nobody can go to The Red Sea or the Great Barrier Reef every weekend.

Coldiver1:
:( I dive Tahoe in January in a 7mm wetsuit. The thing I like about it is that there is not a lot of boat traffic when it is snowing and the water temp is 38 degrees F, you are not likely to accidentaly find a dead body because they don't heat up and rise to the surface like warm water, carrying extra weight makes me feel like a stud and gives me the much needed exercise I require, you can observe the wonders of "shrinkage", it is fun to lose the feeling in your face, (after the initial cold burn,the headache, and the feeling of blacking out subside) and finally it is such a great feeling once the dive has ended and you can get your *** out of that freezing cold water.

Why did the clown keep hitting himself in the head with a hammer?
Cause it felt better when he stopped.

It is all I have around this area.

Yah those dead bodies, I absolutely hate when I run into those.

Skeletons on the other hand are not that bad, and may be indicative of pirate treasure somewhere around!

I now live near Dauin. Philippines. Nearest dive is 5 minute walk to some of the best macro diving in the world. Cold for me is 80 degrees. I think I will stick with my warm water ocean diving!

I think it's all 3 things that you mentioned. Although, given the chance, I'll take a coral reef anytime.

Staying in practice for nice, tropical warm water diving is another good reason. I enjoy my tropical trips more when I have been diving frequently locally as well.

Therefore I will not let more than 2 months go by in the dead of winter locally when I have not dived someplace. Lakes are good because they are normally calmer than oceans. Quarrys are good because then are normally deep. This allows you to practice all your skills.

Nobody can go to The Red Sea or the Great Barrier Reef every weekend.
See above I can now go to awesome macro diving in 5 minutes, everyday if I want. Also it cost less than the tax I used to pay on a dive day in the US. Loving life!

Some of us don’t give a flying fig about pretty fishies and coral. I have the Great Lakes in my backyard. World class wreck diving. Wooden schooners from the 1800s that are still pretty intact. If you’re into the history, no better place to dive and mostly within a day’s drive.

No need to get on a plane. If you’re willing to dive cold, you’ll dive a lot more frequently than the one trip a year divers.

I think it's all 3 things that you mentioned. Although, given the chance, I'll take a coral reef anytime.7

Some of us don’t give a flying fig about pretty fishies and coral. I have the Great Lakes in my backyard. World class wreck diving. Wooden schooners from the 1800s that are still pretty intact. If you’re into the history, no better place to dive and mostly within a day’s drive.

No need to get on a plane. If you’re willing to dive cold, you’ll dive a lot more frequently than the one trip a year divers.
I'm from Kalamazoo Michigan so well familiar with the great lakes. Some of us don't give flying fig about wooden boats either, different strokes and all. I got on a plane last year, and didn't come back. Now live in one of top muck diving spots in the world. 5 minutes away, can dive everyday, and it cost less than the price of dinner in the states. Dive all the time and not cold, well 80 is cold for me. To each thier own. Peace!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom