What in the he%$#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the rather large group of desert dwelling waterlovers.

Someone early on suggested try and buy. If you can find at least a sampling of each to beg/borrow/rent to try in open water thats the only way to know. My g/f got lots and lots of recommendations for the ladyhawk or some variation of women's back-inflation BC. When she got the chance to actually try one (the Aeris) and immediately switch to a quality jacket (she already dives a jacket, Tusa Platina) she found jacket suited her. She now dives a ScubaPro Classic and I still dive a Sherwood Outback. Moral: Don't let others decide what is most comfortable for you.

Just to add one point:

The BP/wings is for recreational diving as well as "tech" diving. There is nothing "tech" about the setup. It's just very adaptable for all types of diving-rec, wreck,cave, etc.

I like it a lot when diving a single 80 in warm carribean water. It works well when diving twin lp104's and a drysuit in 38 degree water also.

Don't let anyone pidgeon-hole this rig-it's very useful in ANY type of diving (okay, except for sidemount cave diving).

Check it out!

This is what I tell my students based on an alot experience with both systems. I do have both systems available for the students to try.

If you are primarily going to do ocean diving with seas to contend with, I recommend the stabilizing jacket. When I'm teaching and talking on the surface, I don't like to have to be doing some maneuver to keep vertical and face out the water. I'm now using a back inflate system (within in the next week will be returning to a Stab Jacket).

The wings have excellant trim underwater, work great with heavier steel tanks but perform poorly in high seas. You can play with the amount of air in the to minimize the face down tendancy but it's always there. I've tried placing 2/3 my weight in the back with no major difference. I have never used heavy steel tanks like 100's or 120's...most who do are into tech diving.

One observation I have had with new divers especially in the opn water...They tend to hang at about a 30 deg heads down attitude checking things out. They sometimes trap a bubble in either the left or right wing really messing up their trim. I physically have to get to a kneeling position to stabilize the buoyancy.

I would recommend a a stab jacket to a new diver.

Having read all the posts here and having done a search for the different types of BCD's out there the conclusion that one can gather is:

Try as many different types of BCD's available to you and pick the one that suits you best. :)

There are lots of different recommendations because these things tend to be subjective - so your ultimate BCD may be one that your fellow diver may disdain. Get the one that works best for you. Main thing is make sure you are comfortable (should be almost transparent underwater) and you dive safely.

cudachaser once bubbled...
This is what I tell my students based on an alot experience with both systems. I do have both systems available for the students to try.

If you are primarily going to do ocean diving with seas to contend with, I recommend the stabilizing jacket. When I'm teaching and talking on the surface, I don't like to have to be doing some maneuver to keep vertical and face out the water. I'm now using a back inflate system (within in the next week will be returning to a Stab Jacket).

The wings have excellant trim underwater, work great with heavier steel tanks but perform poorly in high seas. You can play with the amount of air in the to minimize the face down tendancy but it's always there. I've tried placing 2/3 my weight in the back with no major difference. I have never used heavy steel tanks like 100's or 120's...most who do are into tech diving.

One observation I have had with new divers especially in the opn water...They tend to hang at about a 30 deg heads down attitude checking things out. They sometimes trap a bubble in either the left or right wing really messing up their trim. I physically have to get to a kneeling position to stabilize the buoyancy.

I would recommend a a stab jacket to a new diver.

My wing doesn't push me face down at all at the surface. I haven't had any trouble in high seas, not even in really high seas. No air gets trapped and trim is great at depth.

My experiences exactly, Mike. No face down push.

You need to learn how to use your epuipment properly, but that's true of any piece of dive eqiupment.

I think most people just over-inflate their wings. If sized properly, this shouldn't be required.

detroit diver once bubbled...
My experiences exactly, Mike. No face down push.

You need to learn how to use your epuipment properly, but that's true of any piece of dive eqiupment.

I think most people just over-inflate their wings. If sized properly, this shouldn't be required.

Amount and position of weight have an effect but a crotch strap and a well adjusted harness are important too. If the weights are out front especially if the rig is free to ride up it can certainly push you foreward.

When diving double FULL 104's it actually has a tendance to pull me back a little but one some of the gas is gone it's perfect.

I started off diving a Zeagle Ranger for both doubles and singles. It did great and I had no complaints. Decided to go to a BP/wings with the doubles and I thought I could just use the Ranger for singles. Now I am very seriously considering getting a single tank wing for the BP. I really like the simplicity of the BP/wing setup. Or I just like to keep buying new equipment Im not sure which.:bonk:

jepuskar once bubbled...
Beware of the trolls on this board. They will try and entice an argument out of you!

:)

LMAO - :wink:

The "wings" you speak of have less buoyancy, and will tend to float you face down. Vest BCD's have much more buoyancy and will float you with your head up.

I prefer the full vest as a cold water diver (and instructor), but it has to do with your needs. I would recommend the full vest. It does have a bit more drag, but is well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom