What happens in a recreational computer if you go past the NDLs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've always wondered about this. Say you've got an Oceanic ProPlus and you go past 130ft for like 15 minutes. Would the recreational computer give you a suitable decompression profile? Just purely a theoretical.

Yes, but.
It may not be an efficient deco strategy, but rather a very conservative, very "safe" strategy.
I tried to use an Oceanic Versa Pro early in my deco training. Bad idea. I was stuck in the water what seemed like forever, waiting for my computer to clear.

Of course it will show you deco profile.
Whether it is conservative or liberal is NOT an issue.
Most if not all computers will give you audio or whatnot to warn you about the imminent deco obligation. Recreational dive computer is NOT designed for deco dive, read the small print.

This is not a criticism of the OP.

But what are diver training agencies teaching about decompression, if divers don't understand that dive computers will calculate the decompression requirements if the NDL limit is exceeded. My PADI Instructor, decades ago, when dive computers where very expensive, explained how they functioned, and that they would give you a decompression profile to the surface.
The complication is that manufacturers have here own, or customised tables. Which means that different computers will give you different NDL times, and profiles dependent on their own decompression rules. Add to this the ability for the user to switch in differing levels of conservatism.

Granted some of the very old computers used to just give you a stop depth and no decompression time (very off putting - Aladdin Sport).

ive dove my manta past ndl and had it recover from its panick (alarms and flashing) when i spent some time checking out a shallower area. i have been told however that some recreational computers will get you safely to the surface if ndl is exceeded, but then lock you out for 24 hours..

I worn my Manta as a backup on tech dives. I will admit I've never paid any attention to what it shows as far as deco profile, but it always recovers by the time I surface, and it's never locked me out.
Recreational computers in general will come up with something that sort of vaguely resembles a deco schedule. But it should go without saying that if you're in the position of relying on your computer to plan your deco on the fly, quite a bit must have gone wrong with your dive.

Don't people read the manual for their computer before they dive with it? Sorry OP, but really ... I can't believe that this isn't covered in your computer manual. It's a bit dangerous to just jump into using a piece of unfamiliar technical equipment without at least reading the manual.

For example my manual for the Icon says clearly ":

"If you remain at depth beyond a no deco time of zero minutes, you will enter into decompression: you can no longer make a direct ascent to the surface and IconHD displays a MANDATORY decompressionstop. Instead of a no deco time, it shows youthe depth of the deepest stop, the time at the deepest stop, and the total ascent time (ASC), which includes each decompression stop and the time required to travel the vertical distance to the surface at a rate of 10m/min / 33ft/min. ASC includes the duration of deep stops as well."

On the first day on the Truk Odyssey the dive staff usually says something to the affect of: "If you see a screen on your computer that you have never seen before you are probably in deco." On the second day you see people sitting around the table reading their dive manual.

For the OP if you exceed the NDL for any depth dive computers will switch over and give decompression stops. Remember, there are NDL starting after 35ft (i.e. 2 atm). Also, it is entirely possible to clear one's decompression obligation without going to the shallow stop. For instance, you are at 100 ft (4 atm) and incur a small decompression obligation < 5 minutes). If you ascend to say 50 ft (2.5 atm) and continue the dive the decompression obligation will most likely be avoided because you have out gassed enough. You will still be very near the NDL but at least have no decompression obligation. And still being near the NDL you will need to continue to ascend to a shallower depth to avoid going back into decompression.

Don't people read the manual for their computer before they dive with it? Sorry OP, but really ... I can't believe that this isn't covered in your computer manual.

It's pretty safe to say it does. The manual for my Oceanic has a full page or so on what happens when the PC enters deco, then several pages showing the various displays, then even more pages describing the PC's response to deco stop violations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom