What happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we gone back to the same old crap in here where everyone just comes in and throws their two cents around whether it is DIR or not?

Did you report the post?

Figures ... probably the cat's fault ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
No. I just don't play well with others. Namely Mod's.

He still has the best avatar on the internet.

Anyway, AFAIK the thought process was (a few months ago when all this was a trifle hysterical) have one forum that was opt-in where only DIR issues could be discussed, and by DIR trained or at least DIR intelligent participants - e.g. no "what is DIR" or "why do you use the long hose?" questions.

Then have a second forum - not opt in - where a brand new diver to SB could come to ask fundamentally uneducated questions, not because they are unintelligent but because they are unfamiliar with DIR. This would, by design, require 'non-DIR' discussions, and I would not be shocked and dumbfounded to find others willing to jump in and stir up the silt about how DIR guys all stand in unison and receit responsive readings from the creed.

So...there are two DIR forums. If you can't stand occasional strokery, don't come to this one. Stick with the opt-in forum. If you want to get steamed occasionally, drift in here and shuck and jive with the uninitiated. Think of it as amusement.

Its basically up to you whether you hang here or not - it is NOT that "this forum serves no purpose" (although if that is your opinion you are welcome to it, and you'd likely be happier in the other DIR forum).

FWIW.

Cave 1 in mexico.

I finally found some internet access and I'm flying back today...

so ..... what's the result ? dont leave us hanging !

Internet cafes are present in Akumal and Peurto Adventuras if you have a car or are staying in those areas (both pretty close to ZG)

So...there are two DIR forums. If you can't stand occasional strokery, don't come to this one. Stick with the opt-in forum. If you want to get steamed occasionally, drift in here and shuck and jive with the uninitiated. Think of it as amusement.

FWIW.

yah, now we can have well-trained DIR divers discussing their 190 foot air dives in here :) Much better than it used to be!

Yeah, i don't think i've had to do any moderation of the DPF other than to take a couple of threads which strayed into debate of foundational stuff and move them out of it. I also wouldn't moderate any well-meaning questions in that forum as long as they weren't something like 'why are only black-skirted masks DIR?'

For the DIR forum I'm mostly watching for completely non-DIR threads and any of the endless debates that are never settled. The youtube thread I left in because the second video dragged it back onto a DIR keel. The regulator swapping thread I was about 49% in favor of moving, but it seemed to fizzle out pretty quick. I don't have a huge amount of time to take something like the youtube thread and clean it up to erase non-DIR content, so since it ended better than it started the whole thing stays in...

Those are my thoughts on moderation so far anyway...

Welcome to ScubaBoard where EVERY user is invited to be a moderator... of sorts! If you see a post or thread that seems to be off topic for a particular zone, please report it! Don't wait for the mods to find it, help them out. Be specific how it violates the ToS or is off topic and someone will take a look at it. They may not agree, but they will indeed take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom