what happened with George Irvine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He is still mentioned in the GUE materials too as a pioneer :)

"One time I did a dive with Gavin, and at 120 feet after a few stops he asked me for the schedule. I asked him to show me his. He did not have one. I told him I did not have one. He then frisked me and looked through everything in my pockets and my books. He wrote me back and asked if I had a "New York Times" he could read. I told him to get out and get it out of the van and bring it back, or I would get out and read the schedule and come back to tell him what it was. This went through my head, only I remembered taking the deco tables out of my van, and throwing them in the trash a long time ago."

Can someone explain the origin of the word stroke? I know slang is regional but how did he come up with stroke?

Reactions: OTF
(OK, OK, I know it's probably not an appropriate reply these days but I know those that are missing the bad old days of techdiver, etc are loving it)
The old Aquanaut Techdiver mailing list archives are still online if anyone wants to dig through the original sources. Probably hundreds of messages from George Irvine in there. But there's no real user interface so it's hard to find anything. And a lot of it was trolling or inside jokes (sometimes with sock puppet accounts) so if you don't know the historical context then you might get the wrong impression.

If someone takes issue with one of his statements or wants clarification on a particular point then contact him directly and ask. In my experience he was usually willing to answer. I'm not here to defend him or explain anything, just saying that if you want accurate information then go straight to the source rather than relying on biased secondhand online comments.

The old Aquanaut Techdiver mailing list archives are still online if anyone wants to dig through the original sources. Probably hundreds of messages from George Irvine in there. But there's no real user interface so it's hard to find anything. And a lot of it was trolling or inside jokes (sometimes with sock puppet accounts) so if you don't know the historical context then you might get the wrong impression.
^^^ This. Also people changed names, used their wife's email account for a while (remember Kirvine?) and would switch the subject line mid-convo (e.g. "BONDAGE WINGS WAS: Marguerite's Monkey was: Rebreather Safety Question").

Nobody cares that your feelings are still hurt.
I too find the idea hard to comprehend. I am not well versed in history, but I am sure there are many, many historical figures who were important and many of them could probably be described as both pioneers as well as tyrants. I'm not saying Irvine was (or wasn't) a tyrant (or an arrogant prick or any other derogatory term someone may throw at him), but this IS entirely irrelevant to his potential classification as a "pioneer".

I think it interesting that some people now seem to think that one of the required attributes of a pioneer is actually "political correctness". I bet if he had a statue, somebody would be tearing it down...LOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom