what happened with George Irvine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amongst Scubaboard rules are no name calling and that includes calling someone a stroke or even referring to someone that way. In more sensitive times, a couple of recent posts in this thread would/could still be deleted.

The old Aquanaut Techdiver mailing list archives are still online if anyone wants to dig through the original sources. Probably hundreds of messages from George Irvine in there. But there's no real user interface so it's hard to find anything. And a lot of it was trolling or inside jokes (sometimes with sock puppet accounts) so if you don't know the historical context then you might get the wrong impression.

If someone takes issue with one of his statements or wants clarification on a particular point then contact him directly and ask. In my experience he was usually willing to answer. I'm not here to defend him or explain anything, just saying that if you want accurate information then go straight to the source rather than relying on biased secondhand online comments.
That’s awesome

I too find the idea hard to comprehend. I am not well versed in history, but I am sure there are many, many historical figures who were important and many of them could probably be described as both pioneers as well as tyrants. I'm not saying Irvine was (or wasn't) a tyrant (or an arrogant prick or any other derogatory term someone may throw at him), but this IS entirely irrelevant to his potential classification as a "pioneer".

I think it interesting that some people now seem to think that one of the required attributes of a pioneer is actually "political correctness". I bet if he had a statue, somebody would be tearing it down...LOL.
I wouldn’t even say political correctness. I think he obviously needs the credit for his pioneering. But also you know, you could be just a more moral and kind person to other people. Sets a great example

I think he obviously needs the credit for his pioneering.
And Genghis Khan deserves credit for the environmental benefits of slaughtering millions of people.

I wouldn’t even say political correctness. I think he obviously needs the credit for his pioneering. But also you know, you could be just a more moral and kind person to other people. Sets a great example
Yes, yes morality and kindness are the appropriate topics of discussion to concentrate upon in a scuba diving discussion forum. What is this sunday school?

George and many of the WKPP pioneers were far different to experience in person vs. the internet. Never heard anything but encouragement from sny of them.
Along with Dick Rutkowski, Tom Mount and the rest of the mixed gas early adopters changed diving as we know it.
It wasn't until they found a way to get people to put another dollar in that the recreational agencies started to acknowledge mixed gas diving. After trash talking it for a couple decades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom