Etymology of the word 'Stroke'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I understand, broadly, that a 'stroke' is considered a dangerous diver (in the DIR world at least)

However, I'm interested in why the word 'stroke'. The word stroke in and of itself normally doesn't have any obvious negative connotations. It is a verb, and in the context of water, generally defining an particular method of using one's body to make forward progress. Therefore I'm guessing there must be a story behind this, perhaps like there was the story behind the climbing cam's 'Friend'.

Anyone know the story?

stroke (n.)
"act of striking," c.1297, probably from O.E. *strac, from P.Gmc. *straikaz (cf. M.L.G. strek, Ger. streich, Goth. striks "stroke"), related to the verb stracian (see stroke (v.)). The meaning "mark of a pen" is from 1567; that of "a striking of a clock" is from 1436. Sense of "feat, achievement" (e.g. stroke of luck, 1853) first found 1672; the meaning "single pull of an oar or single movement of machinery" is from 1731. Meaning "apoplectic seizure" is from 1599 (originally the Stroke of God's Hand). Swimming sense is from 1800. Definition from here.

stroke (v.)
"pass the hand gently over," O.E. stracian, related to strican "pass over lightly," from P.Gmc. *straikojanan, which is related to the root of strike, from PIE base *streig- (see strigil). Fig. sense of "soothe, flatter" is recorded from 1513. The noun meaning "a stroking movement of the hand" is recorded from 1631. Definition from here.

As I understand the politically correct version, the term comes from "ego stroker", supposedly coined by Parker Turner. I've seen varying accounts of what it means.

I could be wrong, though. I think there's a more colorful meaning behind the term.

I've always thought that "stroke" is an insult that is modification of "stroker", which has a "street" context that is not suitable for a PG rated forum. Think of the biblical "Onan" (sp?), or (hope I don't get in trouble here0 "autoeroticism".

I've always thought that "stroke" is an insult that is modification of "stroker", which has a "street" context that is not suitable for a PG rated forum. Think of the biblical "Onan" (sp?), or (hope I don't get in trouble here0 "autoeroticism".
No, that would be a "stroker" rather than a "stroke".

As I understand the politically correct version, the term comes from "ego stroker", supposedly coined by Parker Turner. <snip>

This is exactly my understanding as well.

All the best, James

According to the gospel of GI3:

"Very simply put, a "stroke" is somebody you don't want to dive with. It is somebody who will cause you problems, or not be any use to you if you have problems. Usually, this is a reflection of the attitude of a stroke, but that can be inherent in the personality of the individual, or others can teach it.

For instance, if somebody is taught that diving is an "every man for himself" sport, that you "can't help somebody deep," that "my gas is my gas," or "know when to leave your buddy," then that is somebody you do not want to be in the water with. Some people are natural strokes, but all too many are created. Unfortunately, people believe best what they hear first, and given the low-level food chain structure of dive instruction, most strokes are man-made, and are then hard to fix.

Obvious strokes are not so bad - you can see them and you know to avoid them. Frequently they will give it away with their choice of gear and gear configuration. If you see something that is a complete mess, makes no sense, is less than optimal, or is designed to accommodate some phobia while ignoring all else, you are dealing with a stroke. If the stroke is pontificating about how he can "handle" deep air diving, or obsessing about depth, or appears to be trying to compensate for internal fears, this is an obvious stroke and you merely avoid them.

The really insidious strokes are those who pretend to be squared away, but are in this game for all the wrong reasons. Usually they wish to prove something to themselves or others, or to overcome some internal fears. These tend to try to do things that they are not ready to do, and when something goes wrong, they flee for their lives.

Diving is not an intuitive thing. It is not a natural thing. Natural reactions of human beings on dry land do not work underwater. To be a good diver, you have to control your natural responses, and know that they can only hurt you, not help you. A stroke cannot do that. A stroke is driven by fear, ego, and self-concern. "

"The term *stroke* was coined by Parker Turner, the original project director of the WKPP. Parker, much like Irvine, had a no-nonsense approach to diving and running the WKPP. Parker had his rules as to the team and one either followed them or they weren't on the team. It was as plain and simple as that. But what Parker found over the years that there were so many people trying to get on the team without the willingness to put in the requisite work. Instead they would come up to Parker and tell him how they had done this dive or that dive, blah, blah, blah and Parker said that he was sick of these guys *stroking* him to get on the team.. That's the evolution of the word.It has since been expanded to include diver's that approach diving with an unsafe and/or cavalier attitude towards diving.. "

Excerpt from....

Re: If a stroke is one with an unsafe attitude, what is DIR?

Parker had his rules as to the team and one either followed them or they weren't on the team. It was as plain and simple as that.
I think rather than diving with someone who is unwilling to listen to someone elses' ideas, or at the least, describe the rationale behind one's own ideas, I'd rather dive with the stroke.

But hey - maybe I AM the stroke. :)

Back
Top Bottom