Trip Report Grand Cayman (7MB) November 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Summary

I’d like to find something similar to 7MB to add to the family beach trip rotation (right now it’s FL Emerald Coast or 7MB GC) and with hopes for some fishier, more interesting diving on average. However, my wife and kids love 7MB and obviously the diving in GC is better (albeit not fishier) than the FL Panhandle diving so it’s the #1 choice currently.

Safe island, great beach, decent diving.

I previously suggested my wife research St. Croix from a beach trip perspective but that didn’t seem to meet all the criteria. I’m curious how Curacao would compare from a beach and dive stand point.

And finally, how I rank the West/North GC diving with the other diving I’ve done, best to worst:

1 - Key Largo/Tavernier (16% of total dives, fishiest by far)

2- Maui (5% of total dives, lots of turtles, pretty fishy/variety)

3- GC (20% of total dives, biggest variation in how good a dive can be)

4- FL Emerald Coast (55% of total dives, nearly as fishy as KL, not much as far as reefs, low vis, but plenty of interest fish to see, and sharks most dives)

5- Kauai (4% of total dives, such low amount of dives hard to compare really, good but would rather dive Maui if flying to HI from east coast)
Thanks for the report. I like the East end…specifically Compass Point with Ocean Frontiers. The only problem is that I am not so sure the non-divers will find enough to do over there. We love going into town to dive Eden Rock.

Again, thanks for sharing. Nice photos!

And then food, and not just restaurants, groceries are very expensive in GC.
I knew food would be pricey but even so I was shocked at the cost of groceries and lack of options, especially fresh vegetables, at least on the east end. I would say that on average the price was 50 percent more than here plus the added cost of US to CI dollars. A few examples in Cayman prices; milk 6.69, Breyer’s Ice cream 9.59, cola 3.19, Tostido chips 6.29! Now consider that the US dollar is set at .82 cents Cayman. Ouch!

I like the East end…specifically Compass Point with Ocean Frontiers.

We too love Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers. We had an oceanfront 1 bedroom that I have to say was the cleanest condo we have ever rented. But the pillows were awful and the included breakfast at Eagle Ray’s was very limited and repetitious. Early on I learned to check the chairs there before sitting, I had one of their metal chairs collaspe from rust..

The staff at Ocean Frontiers was outstanding. I have never seen a more well organized and well run dive op. Their attention to detail was obvious and they seemed genuinely interested in making our experience the best possible.

@drrich2 they do have al100’s :wink:

I knew food would be pricey but even so I was shocked at the cost of groceries and lack of options, especially fresh vegetables, at least on the east end. I would say that on average the price was 50 percent more than here plus the added cost of US to CI dollars. A few examples in Cayman prices; milk 6.69, Breyer’s Ice cream 9.59, cola 3.19, Tostido chips 6.29! Now consider that the US dollar is set at .82 cents Cayman. Ouch!

Yes, grocery prices were shocking. I didn’t recall it being that bad in 2019. The fosters in camana bay had pretty good selection at least.

Thanks for the report - I didn't notice you mentioning the shore dive at Macabuca - Turtle Reef. Based on the shore dives I have done that is the most "fishy" shore dive that is available to the public - massive schools of fish, stingrays that aren't shy, turtles, grouper, you name it - plus all the usual critters. Saw a Queen Triggerfish there too, which was quite spectacular.

If you want more selection of the dive sites try contacting an outfit like Cayman University Divers - they have a very small boat and may be more open to a more flexible site selection than the bigger operators.

I certainly agree re the shore diving at Macabuca-Turtle Reef. Interesting in both directions and if you are up for a surface swim, you can get to Hepps' Pipeline which IMO, has an even more picturesque mini wall. Lighthouse Point offers a very similar dive to Macabuca and if you want to dive the main wall, I think it is a little closer in.

Thanks for the report - I didn't notice you mentioning the shore dive at Macabuca - Turtle Reef. Based on the shore dives I have done that is the most "fishy" shore dive that is available to the public - massive schools of fish, stingrays that aren't shy, turtles, grouper, you name it - plus all the usual critters. Saw a Queen Triggerfish there too, which was quite spectacular.

If you want more selection of the dive sites try contacting an outfit like Cayman University Divers - they have a very small boat and may be more open to a more flexible site selection than the bigger operators.
Hey @Alucard As the sole diver on my GC trips I have to find a buddy/guide for the shore dives. In 2019 I tried to do macabuca/turtle reef but couldn't line up either, so instead I setup a guide with Divetech at lighthouse point, and it was a pretty good dive, so I stuck with that this time as well.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Cayman University Divers.

I certainly agree re the shore diving at Macabuca-Turtle Reef. Interesting in both directions and if you are up for a surface swim, you can get to Hepps' Pipeline which IMO, has an even more picturesque mini wall. Lighthouse Point offers a very similar dive to Macabuca and if you want to dive the main wall, I think it is a little closer in.

I've read that the 2 (turtle reef and lighthouse point) were similarly good dives thus settling on lighthouse point when I couldn't setup a buddy/guide for turtle reef. It would be nice to try some different ones along that area though in the future.

There really aren't many other easy shore dive choices at NW Point area.
Both Bonnies Arch and Coconut Condos only allow shore access for their own guests and Cobalt Coast is now closed. I personally dive Turtle Reef every afternoon +/- night dives when I am on GC. I never get tired of that dive.

I would like to try turtle reef, and the cayman university divers suggestion looks promising for my inevitable return to 7MB, wished I'd stumbled upon them back in 2019, from their website:

1672149721622.png

Not sure how I'd like the narration part, the tranquility is part of the relaxation of diving, but that sounds optional.

But this also sounds promising:

1672149866985.png

Sounds like they're at the top of my list for next time, thanks again for the suggestion @Alucard!

for my inevitable return to 7MB
If you like Grand Cayman diving, you might consider a few days in Little Cayman, and or the Brac. Plenty to do, in the retro 1985 sense. Even if just playing waurie, reading, doing crafts, riding rusty bikes, or sipping a cold drink in a hammock. It's one of the more restful vacations you can take anywhere.

Great write up, thanks!

I've been curious about doing a Western Caribbean cruise to capture GC, for a wall dive, and then Cozumel for another dive. Just casual diving.

But I've dove Key Largo for my OW, took video, and your comparison makes me wonder if a wall dive is worth keeping on the bucket list vs just scheduling more KL dives lol. (I live in Naples FL)

GC cruises seem pretty sparse, especially for May-Sept when it is said that West side weather is good for diving.

-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom