Etymology of the word 'Stroke'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the spirit of keeping it friendly and on topic let me say that I recoil when I hear people being called names, even if they deserve it. Referring to another diver as a stroke simply because they don’t fall lock-step into a particulair way of thinking lowers my level of respect for them. HOWEVER -

If I choose to engage in a clearly dangerous activity, like cave diving, I would certainly seek out those who have a proven successful method and start out in lock step with them up right up to the point where I believe they are endangering me.

Diving evolves, methods are refined and as we gain experience, we offer up new ideas. That's just human nature and it is how things continue to improve.

I'm not DIR but I do have a great of respect for those who chose to dive in a DIR manner. It's just not my cup of tea as I dive with my wife for fun. Our recreational diving limits our exposure to danger as I would not want to put her in a position of unnecessary risk. Calling me a stroke would however, would in my view, reflect on your character more than it would describe my diving style.

An interesting read and I can see where NudeDiver is coming from. I don't know anything about this guy Parker (or what ever his name) but he actually comes across, if some of these post are accurate, as being a bit of a stroke himself.

Of course, this is based on crap you come across on the internet, untill/unless I actually talk to the guy I will withhold judgment.

Of course, this is based on crap you come across on the internet, untill/unless I actually talk to the guy I will withhold judgment.

Unfortunately, he's dead. But you can read about him and accounts of the accident and form a judgment from that.

Unfortunately, he's dead. But you can read about him and accounts of the accident and form a judgment from that.

Sad...

and I don't wish to speak ill of the dead or cast judgment in ignorance. I'll look him up. Have a Merry Christmas, festivous , or just Happy Holidays, etc, etc.

Thanks Thalassamania for confirming the origin of the word. Makes sense. I'll keep an eye out ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom