What happened to AAAdiving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mongodives

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
When I've been on Oahu in the past I dove with Alex and his staff with AAA diving. Checked the website and it just says changing management.
I was just curious because of all the charters on Oahu over the years I had my best charter experiences with him.

I know! I was disappointed too. I visit Oahu 2-3 times a year and would always dive with Alex. I was just there in December and asked around a little. Seems that he sold his boat and is laying low for a while. I have no idea why. I hopped around and tried a few dive shops looking to find my next regular operation. I tried Captain Bruce and Dive Oahu and was not exceptionally pleased with either. I eventually settled on Ocean Concepts. They are very friendly and professional, but you don't get that "personal touch" that I used to enjoy with AAA and you certainly don't get Alex's entertaining sense of humor and sarcasm. The nice thing about Ocean Concepts is that they dive the west side. It was refreshing to see some different sites as Alex always kept the boat near Waikiki when I was aboard. I will miss Alex and AAA, but Ocean Concepts does do a very nice job. Jo seems to be an excellent dive master/instructor/first mate who really knows her stuff. Also they have a nice boat with a generous lunch served between dives and if you want them to, they will set up and break down your equipment. I have found that most companies on Oahu will not if you bring your own gear. They owner also seems very nice and enthusiastic about running a top notch business which is nice. So, I would recommend Ocean Concepts as an alternative if you are willing to trade a little personal attention and personality for excellent professionalism and service.

Found this on another thread....

Looks like Alex is coming back!

alexsaquaticadventures.com/index.php

Captain Scotty,

Phlegm?, that's not very nice. Are you a competing operator like the 2 folks from Honolulu Scuba Complany that ended up making such fools of themselves on the other AAA thread or is it just personal? ScubaBoard doesn't seem like the right forum for this kind of activity.

Good diving, Craig

Alex use to advertise at one point that he was the only operator that owned his own boat while the rest treated you to a cattle boat experience. I think its fair to understand why others might resent that a little.

Last edited:
don't believe EVERYTHING you hear (or read) in any case he was never any competition to me,,, anyone that goes diving with someone that says and I quote, "the divings free,, you pay for the abuse!" is not someone i wanna deal with

ps
deep ecology has their own boat
ocean concepts may as well own their own boat (they have exclusive use)
waikiki diving has their own boat
aqua zone has 2 boats
breeze has 3 boats on this island
divehawaii has their own boat
dive oahu has their own boat
honolulu scuba company has their own boat
so as you can see as i earlier stated, (don't believe everything you hear/ read)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom