Oahu boat dive sites for frequent Oahu diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poifromthebag

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For a long time I had family on Oahu so we would visit Oahu every year or so. No one in my family does scuba, so that meant I could go do 1 dive for the week long visit. Over the years, I dove most of the main wrecks multiple times off the south shore (YO257, San Pedro, Corsair, Seatiger, LCU, airplane) and the shallower sites. I've also done Waianae sites as well (love Makaha, Mahi)

I'm visiting once again, again under the same parameters. I always go by myself with a boat charter so I'm looking for suggestions where to ask to go to.

I don't care about deep; prefer more bottom time in 30-60'.
AOW, 50+ dives.

Will you be chartering your own boat or going on a regular charter? Different dive ops can be more or less flexible when it comes to letting a solo diver choose the sites (as you’ve probably experienced)

It seems like you’ve done a lot of the usual suspects, including many of the best sites, but here are some others to consider:

1. “Sea Cave”, “Spitting Caves”, and “China Walls” on the outskirts of Maunalua bay (south side). As the name implies, the first site consists of a large and impressive cavern at around 50’ that extends probably 160’ back into the cliff and is usually full of interesting wildlife (including sharks and the occasional monk seal) - this is one of my favorite dives on Oahu and only requires AOW. China Walls and Spitting Caves are right next door and are often done as drift dives. You don’t say when you will be visiting, but these sites are challenging to schedule during the summer (due to the south swell) - you’ll have to pick a calm day for a dive op to contemplate sea cave. Around the same area, you can dive the outer parts of Hanauma bay.
  2. “Navy Tug” (i.e. YTB-774). This is a large navy tug boat sitting up right in 60’ of water - some minor swim throughs but a very impressive wreck to swim around, especially along the bow. It’s an hour boat ride from Kewalo’s Harbor so is usually a special charter, but it’s shallow enough that you can get some long bottom times.
  3. There are also some nice easy shore dives, especially in the summer, that you could do! Most of these are of nice beaches so maybe you could convince the family to join you on the beach! Checkout “Sharks Cove”, and “Makaha Caverns” in the summer and “Cockroach Cove” in the winter (or whenever the south swell is super flat).
  4. Several dive ops have also started/resumed their pelagic night dives - one off the west side, and another out of Kewalo’s with a dusk dive on the Seatiger beforehand.
Let me know if you’ve done all of these, and if so, I can think up some more obscure recommendations!

Thanks for the info!
I'd be joining a regular charter, visiting in July. Since I'm by myself, this is the least resistance way to dive non-solo (so I don't die) and minimize time away from family (which is both spousal debt and missing out on family moments)

Navy Tug sounds great.. and I'm sure I haven't been out there if it takes an hour from Kewalo Harbor.

Spitting Caves and China Walls sound great... I've never done a true drift dive before; so I'd be up for it if it's not a strong currant.

Shark's Cove sounds great. I did Makaha Caverns a few times and LOVE it there.

Ooo night dives... I'll have to ask about that.

Glad I could help! Let me know if you need any more info or pointers for dive ops that may be able to take you out to the various sites.

If you want a buddy, send me a DM and I may be able to join you on one of these charters!

West Side Option is Oahu Dolphin Divers only (no other boats since 2023). The problem is that the way the website is set up there is a two-diver minimum (the boat also does privates and snorkel charters). So if you want a dive out there as a solo you need to call 808 478 1104 and get a manager to find another dive group in your date range.

Island Divers Hawaii Is currently running 3 tankers on Friday and Sunday. Any day the NE trades our down the charter invariably ends up at Rabbit Island near Makapuu Lighthouse. As far as I know, we are the only ones that ever run that site, but it is like a 10% chance that the winds are right for it. Locals should keep an eye out for those conditions (you know, when it gets hot and mugged cause there is no wind).

Otherwise veryfastfourier gave a great summary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom