Tiger Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandDiversHI

Contributor
Reaction score
I just told a client there is really no way to book a dive that has a decent chance of seeing Tiger Sharks in Hawaii. But now I'm second guessing myself. I have done the shore dive out of Honokohau harbor where I was told you might see the Tiger that goes in and out of the harbor to eat fisherman scraps (didn't see it). I've personally only seen a juvenile tiger one time at Baby Barge years ago, and I've easily a few thousand dives in Hawaii. My staff occasional (yearly) reports sightings at Koko Craters (our 38ft training and snorkeling site) in Maunalua Bay. I'm sure there are other places where sightings may be common if not frequent. But I'm I correct is saying there is nothing reliable? I'm really just a tourist when I'm off Oahu.

No, it's not not common to my knowledge. The issue with tiger sharks is they tend to frequent places where the vis is bad.

No, it's not not common to my knowledge. The issue with tiger sharks is they tend to frequent places where the vis is bad.
A buddy I dove with has seen them at the bottom of the reef at 2 step around 115 fsw.

I heard from a local dive guide in Kona that her coworker saw 4 tigers on one dive outside Honokohau Harbor just a few days ago. No reason to believe she was pulling my leg.

Saw a rather large tiger shark at Sharks Cove on the north shore a few years back. In all the dives I did in Hawaii its the only one I ever saw. Circled my dive buddy and I once, then departed.

Saw one the past May at the Honokohau Harbor about a 10 footer. I have about 200 dives on the Big Island and that was the first time.

I was diving Kona the year all the attacks happened in the area, it was around Memorial Day and they said it was baby season I think. At any rate a film crew had seen a few and we just missed them, but I did sense they were in the area if that makes sense. I think it was 2011.

I was diving Kona the year all the attacks happened in the area, it was around Memorial Day and they said it was baby season I think. At any rate a film crew had seen a few and we just missed them, but I did sense they were in the area if that makes sense. I think it was 2011.
They did have an attack last week, a swimmer was bit off of Waikoloa.

I have done the shore dive out of Honokohau harbor where I was told you might see the Tiger that goes in and out of the harbor to eat fisherman scraps (didn't see it).
I’ve heard many times that the ledge just out side of Honokohau Harbor (Big Island) is the best place to see them. I’ve seen tiger sharks on two out of six dives that I’ve done there.

Aside from Honokohau, I’ve only seen tiger sharks twice during my 600+ dives in Hawaii: once at the Sea Tiger in 2022 and once off of E-Beach/Tracks in 2021.

My staff occasional (yearly) reports sightings at Koko Craters (our 38ft training and snorkeling site) in Maunalua Bay.
I was on one of your Sea Fox charters in 2020 when a guy on the same boat got a video of one at Koko Craters, but I was probably distracted by an octopus or something, because I totally missed it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was on one of your Sea Fox charters in 2020 when a guy on the same boat got a video of one at Koko Craters, but I was probably distracted by an octopus or something, because I totally missed it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh, that's rough. Lol. I lead a dive the other day around Fish Curtain (the area between Spitting and Sea Cave) and one of the divers Ed came up at the end with a picture of a huge dragon moray. I was like "damn!". Lol.

• Funny
Reactions: CCS

Back
Top Bottom