What do you use your LDS for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing. I stay away as far as possible. After they minted a new instructor group about a year ago of divers that could barely maintain buoyancy (but could manage payments), I saw the light.

pretty much nothing. gear from buddies or in nfl, fills usually in nfl (many many quarry dives can be done from cave-filled double 95s!), trips on my own, companionship online, servicing by my buddies or now my lovely boyfriend... i do go in once in a while, like once a year or so, and say 'hey', but eh.

The idea of local LDS is cool but after a while you can outgrow them. Don't feel guilty about it. It is a natural evolution I think.

Over time I have figured out how to service everything myself. I am an (electrical) engineer so I have no special aptitude for it but I bought rebuild manuals on ebay.

The only problem is parts. Many brands of scuba gear do not allow sales directly to the end user.

I mentioned to my LDS owner that I wanted to buy a different brand of regulator from him next time because parts are available directly to the end user (for that brand). At that point he threw a tantrum because I wanted to be able to buy parts and do my own maintenance.

It is a shame because I liked doing business with the gentleman but I guess that is finished. I won't be made to feel guilty about enjoying my sport the way I want.

Thank you ScubaBoard for providing this forum for sharing experiences. I felt lonely out there.

Use of pool, socializing, sharing my baked goods so no one passes their drug test.

Use of pool, socializing, sharing my baked goods so no one passes their drug test.
what's in them?

What would you as a diver most like to see out of your LDS or what value does the LDS have to you?
Hmm. How do I value it? Let me count the ways, in no particular order: 1) Dive club, with interesting and informative monthly meetings, cookouts during the summer months, a Christmas Party with speakers like Gary Gentile and Ned Deloatch; trips organized by the shop to more distant places like Roatan, Bonaire, etc. as well as domestic charters to the Carolina Coast, trips to FL, to the Gulf to dive the Oriskany, etc; 2) Camaraderie and diving fellowship - a social experience. I periodically will drop by the shop, go next door to the Chinese restuarant and buy lunch, and bring it back to the shop to eat, with staff, and with fellow divers who drop by on their lunch hour, or to get fills, or gear service; I met my current dive buddy through the shop, a large number of good friends and diving colleagues through the shop, etc. We have informally created something of a birthday club, with a group of divers who dive through the LDS. Virtually every month we go out to dinner, ostensibly to celebrate a birthday, and talk about diving, politics, and business. 3) Training, including OW, AOW, DM, AI, IDC, plus Tec, Trimix, Gas Blender, etc. Actually, I didn't do regulator technician training there (rather, I did it through a 'competing' shop in town, with whom my LDS has an excellent relationship), but I attend seminars at DEMA as a shop 'staff member'. Oh, and I have a LDS owner who is happy to call PADI and expedite credentials applications at those rare times when that is required. 4) Service. Yes, I can service my own gear, but I am free to use the bench and instruments at the LDS, and get my parts at a discounted rate. I am free to blend my own nitrox and trimix fills, paying only for the gas, at a cost-based rate. (And I am more than happy to do gas fills for them on a busy Friday afternoon in the summer, if they are swamped and I am free. I enjoy the practice and the break from my 'real' work.); 5) Specialty needs, such as oxygen cleaning. I do some of the oxygen cleaning for the shop, and pay only a very discounted rate to do my own tanks, valves and regulators - with their equipment, reagents and supplies - because I am happy to also do cleaning on customer tanks at the same time; 6) Expanded contacts with the diving community. I have met a variety of people, at DAN, in PADI, divers with interesting credentials, etc, through the LDS and the shop owner, who is happy to introduce me and others associated with the shop whenever he runs into someone he knows.
It seems many of you hardcore divers don't really need or use your LDS except for airfills and even then many of you own compressors or use your club's compressor. Many of you have learned to service your own gear so even the repair shop is unnecessary.
Maybe, I don't really need them. But it is great to use their IP gauge, their Magnahelic, their ultrasonic cleaning equipment, their eddycurrent testing equipment, their (rather sophisicated) gas management apparatus. They have the equipment. They have the regulator parts kits. They have helium, oxygen, OCA, nitrox premix, a great blending system. And, I can use it - because I have made an active point over the past 8 years, since my OW certification, of becoming a part of the LDS family through my patronage, participation in training, and involvement.
But, alas, there is certainly a downside. I am sure I must have obscenely overspent on gear, and my LDS is obviously taking advantage of me. I envy the really clever people, the ones who save a lot more money than I do. The ones who make the rounds of dive shops to get free consultation, perhaps even get free advice from SBers like Tobin at DSS, then boast about how MUCH they saved by going to LeisurePro or ScubaToys. I am sure they are saving lots of money, far more than I am.
So the question is what value or purpose does the LDS serve you? Me personally, I just get my air filled since I already have my gear and I have a friend that does most of my servicing in exchange for me buying the beer and steaks.
I get diving insights, service advice, and techincal information (as well as political observations, economic consultation, and social commentary). It is provided willingly and enthusiatically, possibly because I am a shop 'loyalist'. But, shops are in business to sell gear. So, what have I bought there? Wetsuits, drysuits, hoods, vests, regulators, fins, lights, computers (including my new X1), masks, two BCDs, gaiters, tanks, valves, tank bands, reels, weights, clips, and a bunch of other stuff. I have also been able to borrow and try out a lot of gear, Dive Rite and Halcyon backplates and harneses, different wings, tanks, fins, masks, etc. Through the LDS I have a directly available network of diving friends who loan me equipment, and to whom I loan equipment, readily and without hesitation. The LDS is even a drop point at times. Heck, the owner has even transported the gear at times, to facilitate transfer. Yes, I have also purchased a bit of used equipment on eBay, because of some of the knowledge I acquired through the shop (which doesn't sell used gear). Through the LDS, I have even been introduced to people outside the shop who have been kind enough to allow me to audit their courses at no charge.

Deluded as I must be, I have this strange and persistent sense that I just may have benefited tremendously from the relationship.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom