Tipping / Gratuity on LDS Organized Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have searched a bit and am unable to find suitable guidance. My local dive shop is organizing a trip to Roatan. We will be staying at Turquoise Bay and diving with Subway. How do you handling tipping? Do I tip the local dive shop "tour guide" or just the Roatan divemaster? The boat captain? Local currency or USD? Flyer states that 3 meals are included daily - would I tip the server? How much? Sorry for being such a noob.

This is my first trip (hopefully one of many) and would like to show appropriate appreciation. Thanks to all for your help.

Take a look at this thread for comments on the part of your question about whether to tip your local dive shop's representative who accompanies the group: Do you tip the liveaboard trip organizers? The question was asked in the context of a liveaboard rather than a land-based dive operator, but I believe the principle is the same.

Take a look at this thread for comments on the part of your question about whether to tip your local dive shop's representative who accompanies the group: Do you tip the liveaboard trip organizers? The question was asked in the context of a liveaboard rather than a land-based dive operator, but I believe the principle is the same.
Thank you.

each operation may do things differently. but our shop typically would gather tips from the group and present it to the local dive operator.
i would suggest you ask your LDS organizing the trip how they prefer to do it.
the group i was with was caught off guard when told by the organizer at the end of the trip that they were expected to provide a tip of X amount. many people were no too happy about finding this out at the last minute. some did not even have enough cash to be able to contribute (even though they wanted to) and others felt they were being forced into paying a cost they were not previously made aware of.
as far as general tipping at the resort you will be at.....i always say "it is up to you". i dont agree with pressuring people into tipping simply because that is what they are told is the norm.
paying the cost of the trip is your obligation.
maybe check to see if a gratuity is built into the cost of the trip. if not, then decide for yourself if the service you receive warrants something extra for any of the staff.
if you do tip, my personal default answer as to which currency to use is always to use the local currency. unless it is cuba. but thats a whole different conversation. lol

Been on a few with our LDS. They always provide a trip packet with some helpful tips regarding what to bring, what not to bring, local customs, rules, etc. Part of that involves tipping, they'll provide a range, indicate currency, and any other info we need to know. For example for our last Maldives trip, the tip had to be in $, and they wanted crisp, new bills for some reason....

Your LDS should be able to help...

The local DM and the Boat Captain, too.

Your LDS trip leader’s utility ended when you got off the bus at the resort.

If you’re lucky, you’ll have one of the sharpest DMs on all of Roatan, Osman Gomez. The stuff he’ll show you! Follow HIM, not your shop DM. Tip well.

Attachments

• IMG_8902.jpeg
    IMG_8902.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 29
I would go directly to the operator website and see if there is any guidance on tipping. I personally prefer to tip individually, daily and person to person rather than having a group leader just hand over an envelope at the end of the trip.

For example, I'm headed to LCBR for 8 nights at the end of April. I always bring plenty of cash in multiple denominations so I can tip as I go and as deserved.

Plus, here's a tip....... Always tip the bartender at the beginning of the night rather than at the end!!

Here's some language pasted right from the LCBR website.

Classic Cayman 7-Night Dive Package​

Valid for travel January 13, 2024–January 11, 2025
  • 7 nights’ accommodation
  • Breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily (dinner arrival day through breakfast departure day)
  • Drink package – 21 included drinks**
  • 6 X 2-tank AM + 5 x 1-tank PM boat dives (17 boat dives total for 7-night package)
  • Morning dive trip to Cayman Brac to dive the Tibbetts’ wreck and another great site included as one of the AM dives at no additional charge (weather permitting)
  • Complimentary use of dive computer (we require them)
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Welcome rum punch
  • Manager’s cocktail reception
  • Airport ground transfers
  • Resort fees, taxes, & gratuities – except dive gratuities which are not included

I've never done a liveaboard but on charter boats I just tipped the DM, figuring he/she was the only one who probably didn't get paid.

I have yet to find a liveaboard where tipping is not expected by the local crew.

The LDS always makes it clear what is included in the price and what is extra, which includes tips and how much is expected.

Then in the last day there are always surprised people who were not aware or forgot that it is expected. I know, some countries are not used to used to tipping at all (because they have honest salaries) or ones that are tipping everything and then some.

Now, regardless whether one is European or American, the local crew on LOBs work really hard, it is not a honeymoon vacation for them. Dinghy/Zodiac, skipper, cook, compressor guys etc. all worn hard so we can enjoy great diving, most of these countries their wages are extremely low.

So, when the time of tipping comes you see the excitement on crew's faces, I get an envelope and gather tips from whoever wants to. If some were not tipping at all, or just giving half otr a quarter of what is expected- I don't ask questions nor tell them anything, I just add their part from my pocket. Many years ago- feels like a lifetime- was on the other side of the industry and knowing how hard it was, I can appreciate how they need those tips. I will not go bankrupt because of paying extra 100-200 $ for tips, consider it a donation to Neptune so next safari he will show gratitude by letting us calm seas and lots of stuff to see.

Cheers, good diving!

Every boat I've been on has a tip jar. Generally, if it's a pita to tip, I dont.

No way I'm giving a week's tips to the club organizer. That's going to get skimmed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom