What do you love besides diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since your ob scubaboard I assume you love diving. What else. Besides diving, do you love?
I'm not sure how to make it any clearer.
A7DEEF68-7F9D-4228-80CF-0A0C102A71B9.jpeg

OK number 1 (by a HUGE margin) is being thankful that although I was diagnosed with skin cancer last fall, it was caught early and since my surgery, the doc says that I will have to get periodic check ups, but for all practical purposes, I am now cancer free. (The surgeon was very cool & scheduled the surgery for a few days after I got home from a dive trip to Cayman Brac so that it wouldn't conflict with my first dive trip in over 3 years.)

As an aside, I also have a pretty gnarly scar that is about 6 inches long on my back and a great story of how I got it.

Now as for the "simple joys in life" that I still enjoy...

2. Photography - mostly landscape, but also some astrophotography, aviation, birds in flight, (and of course underwater photography).

3. Travel - this (perhaps obviously) goes somewhat hand in hand with photography. I am drawn like a moth to a flame to spectacular scenic vistas or dark starlit skies.

4. Being thankful (yes I am listing it again, but for something else). I come from a family with a very short life expectancy. I have already out-lived the age in which my parents died by more than 20 years. (They both died in their early 40s and I am now in my 60s). I have outlived my entire family, and I am quite literally the "last man standing" when I do die, the family name dies with me, so I am thankful that I have lived a long life. As they say, "Any day above ground is a good one."

Things I have enjoyed, but no longer participate in:

5. Skiing. I was fortunate to ski some amazing "hills" from the ice-covered slopes of the east to the powder of the Rockies - including the I-70 corridor through Coloado (Keystone, Copper Mountain, Breckinridge, Vail & Aspen) not to mention through Utah & California near Lake Tahoe. I have even skied in both the French and Italian Alps (Mont Blanc & Courmayeur) . Unfortunately, my knees are no longer 20 (or even 40) years old anymore and I don't bend the way I used to, so I have moved away from skiing.

6. Shooting. I found medium to long range (200+ yards) to be very relaxing. Control my breathing, slow my heart rate feel the trigger break in that brief instant between heartbeats and watch the target get a new hole exactly where I was aiming. By contrast, I found competitive pistol shooting (IDPA) to be very exhilarating. Unfortunately a number of factors happened nearly simultaneously that meant it was probably best if I give this sport up.

7. My service. This one might sound a bit cliche, but I had the honour of serving my country for more than 30 years in the RCAF. I had a very cool job and to be blunt, although I barely got through my training, through hard work, I became very good at it. I miss the sense of belonging to something bigger than myself, but I am proud to have made a difference.

FWIW, here are some of my (non-dive related) pics:

Owens Valley Work Shop 03.jpg

Milky Way at the Mobius Arch in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine California.

Owens Valley Work Shop 41.jpg

Sunrise at Convict lake California

Jedi Transition 010.jpg

Royal Airforce Eurofighter Typhoon in the "Jedi Transition"

Road Trip-13.jpg

Lightbeam in Upper Antelope Canyon near Page AZ

DSC_0028.jpg

From inside the crater at the WTC "Ground Zero" roughly a year after the attacks.

090819007.jpg

An Osprey bring home some sushi take out.

Raptors-146.jpg

Snowy Owl

Posting on scubaboard :)

Since your ob scubaboard I assume you love diving. What else. Besides diving, do you love?
I'm not sure how to make it any clearer.
I’m pretty sure that was sarcasm

Love besides diving?

LOVE is a pretty big word. I love my husband but if he was to interfere with my diving for no good reason I could see that love diminishing.

My kids are grown and have their lives. Husband and i agreed that diving was OUR thing and have plan our lives around it. I realize a time will come when diving may not be possible but as long as we can get in the ocean regularly it will be worth to stay alive.

I like listening to music, boating and drinking, having a clean house and staying away from people. Not sure I love those things, maybe music, if i'm not close enough to hear the ocean.

Love besides diving?

LOVE is a pretty big word. I love my husband but if he was to interfere with my diving for no good reason I could see that love diminishing.

My kids are grown and have their lives. Husband and i agreed that diving was OUR thing and have plan our lives around it. I realize a time will come when diving may not be possible but as long as we can get in the ocean regularly it will be worth to stay alive.

I like listening to music, boating and drinking, having a clean house and staying away from people. Not sure I love those things, maybe music, if i'm not close enough to hear the ocean.
Great music near the ocean is awesome. If you ever get to st. Petersburg, Fl go to sunset Beach and Ka tiki. Live music 7 nites on the Be
ach in a tiki hut. I miss that place a lot......
Another good one is happy hour at the point bar in Puerto Galara, Philippines. Mango margaritas and sunsets!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom