What do you love besides diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) working OT to pay for diving
2) spending time with wife/kids
3) figuring out ways to better find the camouflaged critters in cold low vis water
4) bugging son about diving and when he's going to stop passing up my offers to get him trained
5) outdoors things (sports, camping, hiking, snow sports, water sports, etc)
6) figuring out correct proportions of food/exercise so I don't grow out of my dry or wet suits
7) pestering the wife to show me her lady bits

Spending time with my wife and dogs, traveling (sometimes with diving involved, sometimes hiking, cruises, etc.), seeing the kids when we can, exercising, guns, some hobby metalworking on the lathe. Thinking about and planning for retirement.

Reading, wines, fine eating, cooking, movies, traveling, spending time with family and friends, my dog, museums, dabbling with computers, strong spirits, mixing cocktails, practicing foreign languages, discovering and learning...

Diving has taken not only a back seat, but like a 3rd or 4th row seat behind cycling, flatwater kayaking, photography, restoring old bicycles to donate to charity, my cats, reloading pistol ammo, and a few others things that are not as expensive, time consuming, logistically intense and can be done closer to home.

1. Being a first responder (Volunteer Firefighter / EMT)
2. Adventuring
3 Kayaking (in service of adventuring)
4 Photography / video production (in service of adventuring)
5 Hiking (in service of adventuring)
6 Making things
Being part of the kink / sex positive community

-clarinet playing of course.
-shell collecting (on the beach as well as diving).
-basketball (too old to play anymore as of about 1988).
-throwing messages in bottles.
-taking pictures (not photography, just taking pictures...).
-fishing (not as much as when we lived in northern Manitoba).
-travel (been to every state except HI, Can. province, territory & some overseas-- crossed USSR in 1984).

P.S.-- I would have put time with wife & family on top but I read it as meaning what's your favourite hobbies.

Spending time with my fiancé
Hiking
Collecting records
Traveling
Surfing
Surf trips with the guys
German shepherd dogs
Synthesizers and ableton
Boating
Fishing
Theme parks and roller coasters
House plants

1. Questioning my choice of diving as a hobby
2. Reading books about diving
3. Writing software to afford diving
4. Buying small diving tools on a-zone
5. Traveling mindlessly around the world with no other goal than to keep traveling
6. Thinking that parkour cost me zero money and I could do it anywhere
7. Binge watching scary diving stories on youtube

Way back during my impressionable yoof days, I visited Mexico and was told by a middle aged mystery man that true happiness for my gender could be found by concentrating upon the following four areas:

1. women
2. cars
3. guns
4. guitars

It's not a personal philosophy, but it has proven a source of enjoyment in the intervening decades.

Because of all the time and money spent on diving, dive training, traveling to go dive or train, buying and maintaining diving gear, and so forth, it often feels like all I can manage to love outside of all that is my wife, food, and sleep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom