What do you guys think is the best CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove an Inspiration several times but I do not own one. It was a wonderful experience and if I ever get to move back to tropical waters I will then own that unit for certain.

My choice would be the Meg. I own/dive an Inspiration. Having seen all the major readily available CCR's I like the meg. It's a robust unit that is modular, breaks down and packs well. You can also order it with or without many options. Your choice of regs, wing, etc.. It's in the same price range as the Prism and Inspiration,. Looks to me like you get the most bang for the buck with a meg.
YBOD Pilot

Has any of you guys tried the Ouroborous? (Think that's the spelling)

I have heard a lot of good things about it, and now that it's come down in price a bit, I'm thinking of signing up to get the ticket.

Input anybody?

E:)

espenskogen:

I have heard a lot of good things about it, and now that it's come down in price a bit, I'm thinking of signing up to get the ticket.

Input anybody?

It is a great unit. But, it's twice the price as the others. Very well made. You do get what you pay for though.

espenskogen:

Input anybody?

If you have the spare cash and are wanting to do Ultra Deep and Ultra Long dives then the Boris is the king of CCR's, however you can almost buy two of any other type for the same price.

I dive a PRISM at the moment and love it the Work Of Breathing it is the best of any unit I have been on, I do like the simplicity of its electronics as well.

My next unit would be a Meg, built like tanks, build quality is the best of any unit and once Leon finishes the next generation Apecs 3 then I shall most likley buy one.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like the Meg, may be a good contender. Any issues with getting parts for them or other quirks?

I would be using it for extending bottom time on deep dives. Open water or wrecks mostly.

Any idea how much bottom time you can get on them and what are the things to look for?

I don't know much about these things other than the basic theory and that I don't have enough time on open circuit beyond 250fsw.

-Gary

Aqua Marine:
Thanks for the help!

Sounds like the Meg, may be a good contender. Any issues with getting parts for them or other quirks?

I would be using it for extending bottom time on deep dives. Open water or wrecks mostly.

Any idea how much bottom time you can get on them and what are the things to look for?

I don't know much about these things other than the basic theory and that I don't have enough time on open circuit beyond 250fsw.

-Gary

The meg factory (hatchery) is located in Centralia Wa so parts are available in your country. The unit, like has been mentioned are tough and well built. They claim the lowest WOB of any RB around but rigdiver's post above really says a lot. I am also inspiration trained but don't own one. I did have a kiss but sold it to buy my meg.
I can't comment on ourobourus as I have never seen one in person.

wedivebc:
The meg factory (hatchery) is located in Centralia Wa so parts are available in your country. The unit, like has been mentioned are tough and well built. They claim the lowest WOB of any RB around but rigdiver's post above really says a lot. I am also inspiration trained but don't own one. I did have a kiss but sold it to buy my meg.

Hello Dave, while I'm sure the Meg has good WOB, a Meg with an axial scrubber will probably not breathe as well as it would with a radial, like the Prism. If my understanding is correct, the gas path in the meg axial is gas in at top, down the sides of the scrubber housing and in at the bottom of the stack, where it travels up through the stack to the inhale side. This is probably better and less restrictive than the Inspo axial, which has an elbow and pipe at the bottom of the scrubber. Any time your gas has to travel all the way down your back before coming back to the mouth pc, you increase the hydroststic load and the WOB. The Meg with the radial scrubber should breathe better because the gas is flowing through the sides of the scrubber canister, all the way up and down, and thus minimizing the hydrostatic load.

In this configuration, it would be more like the Prism, except I think the Meg radial is an outside to in, which may affect the WOB, due to the pressure differential being slightly higher on the inhale/narrower, center side-not sure about this. But it will affect the dwell time. It will not be as long as inside to out like a Prism radial, due to the increasing cross sectional area, as the gas moves from the center, out.

In otherwords, the Meg may have a low WOB, but the Prism will breathe better than a Meg with an axial and a Meg with a radial may a have WOB close to the Prism. But I really doubt it would be better... -Andy

silent running:
In otherwords, the Meg may have a low WOB, but the Prism will breathe better than a Meg with an axial and a Meg with a radial may a have WOB close to the Prism. But I really doubt it would be better... -Andy
Thanks for the info Andy. So far I will have to take your word for it because I have never dove a prism and my meg is still at the hatchery. :D

silent running:
Hello Dave, while I'm sure the Meg has good WOB, a Meg with an axial scrubber will probably not breathe as well as it would with a radial, like the Prism. If my understanding is correct, the gas path in the meg axial is gas in at top, down the sides of the scrubber housing and in at the bottom of the stack, where it travels up through the stack to the inhale side. This is probably better and less restrictive than the Inspo axial, which has an elbow and pipe at the bottom of the scrubber. Any time your gas has to travel all the way down your back before coming back to the mouth pc, you increase the hydroststic load and the WOB. The Meg with the radial scrubber should breathe better because the gas is flowing through the sides of the scrubber canister, all the way up and down, and thus minimizing the hydrostatic load.

In this configuration, it would be more like the Prism, except I think the Meg radial is an outside to in, which may affect the WOB, due to the pressure differential being slightly higher on the inhale/narrower, center side-not sure about this. But it will affect the dwell time. It will not be as long as inside to out like a Prism radial, due to the increasing cross sectional area, as the gas moves from the center, out.

Hey Andy, having doved a fwe different rb, not the prism though, i can tell you the Meg has the by far best WOB of any of the units i have tried, which are KISS SP & CL, Inspiration, Cis Lunar, Boris, MK15.5 and now my Meg.
Also Leon has done some testing in the UK this winter and rumour has it that the results on the WOB, was far superior to the minimum regulation for the CE and way better than any other rebreather out on the market today.
Also on my Meg i have purchsed the neopren counterlungs and i have noticed that due to the "push" effect from it when it contracts, the WOB is much better than my old cordura lungs.

just my 2C

/Jonny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom