What do you guys think is the best CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Joe,
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on the PRISM/Meg WOB thing, having dived both side by side over multiple dives on the same day the PRISM rates better in the WOB stakes between the two, from what I felt anyway.

The PRISM is defiantly WAY better then either the YBOD, Evo or any of the rear mounted counter lung units, as you would expect.

Cheers
Chris

I dive a Vision equipped Inspo...and this WOB thing is interesting......it is like an argument that one car is lame because it only has 500 horsepower and 800ft/lbs of torque, whereas car B has 580 h.p. and 875 ft/lbs of torque....

I am still waiting to be tired from breathing or have any labor to breathe whatsoever manifest itself......

padiscubapro:
For overall breathing confort on an OTS design the location of the scrubber really has little effect on the overall breathing resistance.. The dead spaces have no effect on the WOB, the path through a scrubber does..

On an OTS design your getting your gas from the inhale counterlung and as long as sufficiend volume is present you arent going to notice any problems taking a breath (remember its at a greater pressure (normally) than your mouth so there should be little effort inhaling).. for what we perceive as easy breathing its the inhale that it important, we really dont notice small changes exhale breathing resistance, but inhale resistance we do feel..

Believe it or not the BIGGEST contributor to WOB in general is the DSV..

If length of gas path was that critical a radial design would actually be a bad thing since that would mean that the furthest points wouldnt be getting the same shot at the gas and the shortest portion of the scrubber would be geting all the work, therby a short duraction, which isnt the case.. The part inside the fixed container is all at the same potential..

The big thing to remember about the meg esespecially is that there is alot of open space for the gas to freely flow to the scrubber opening.. The resistance to flow is going to be much smaller than having to supply the scrubber from a small tube..

Hi Joe, thanks for the detailed post. I am aware that DSV is a big part of the overall WOB, however, barring a really badly sized one relative to the rest of the design or too thick mushroom valves, I'm not sure it's as big a factor as other things combined. And I think I agree with you that what happens inside the scrubber all has the same hydrostatic potential, but I was actually trying to point out something else having to do with how the gas enters and leaves it, and how this relates to the asymetry of the tidal cycle. Sorry if it was confusing, I couldn't get a hold of anybody from SMI to confirm this, so I have to go by my memory of the explanation of loop dynamics. Please bare with me as I try to put the the thought into words...

Yes, the path inside the scrubber is a big issue. But that's exactly why I would have hard time believing that an axial scrubbber, which has a longer-6 to 7 inch-path through the sorb, would breathe easier than a similar sized radial, which has a shorter-2 to 3 inch-grain boundry. If I'm not misremebering, the scrubber itself is a kind of boundry btw the inhale and exhale cycles, which are not equally forceful. And this would then be very important to the loop layout...

Both the axial Meg and the Prism have spaces all around the scrubber that the gas flows through. In the axial Meg, the gas enters through the scrim in the bottom of the scrubber, which in the breathing cycle, would be powered mostly by the exhale, the stronger part of the tidal flow. It then exits through a tube/restriction at the top, which would be drawn out mostly by the inhale part of the tidal cylcle, the weaker part. This is still an improvement over the Inspo, in which the inhale has to pull the scrubbed gas out the bottom of the scrubber, down through the restictive, lower elbow and pipe, up to the inhale CL. I still think that there is additional, if slight, hydrostatic loading anytime gas winds up going lower than your lungs as surely the down pipe/elbow on the Inspo does, in a normal slightly head up dive position...

But in the Prism, the gas enters the scrubber through the radial center tube during the stronger exhale cycle and has only to travel through the shorter, radial grain boundry, before hitting the large outer space around the scubber, where it is drawn up into the inhale CL on the inhale cycle. In the Prism the gas path is, I think, better matched to the asymetical tidal cycle-stronger exhale pushes the gas through the front smaller, more restrictive part of the loop, weeker inhale draws from larger, scrubbed resivoir around the scrubber. If this is true, then it means that a radial with an outside to in flow would not bbreathe as easy as the into out, as the inhale would be drawing from the the most restrictive part of the loop-the center radial tube...

I hope this makes more sense, -Andy

Sydney_Diver:
Well Joe,
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on the PRISM/Meg WOB thing, having dived both side by side over multiple dives on the same day the PRISM rates better in the WOB stakes between the two, from what I felt anyway.

The PRISM is defiantly WAY better then either the YBOD, Evo or any of the rear mounted counter lung units, as you would expect.

Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris, did the Meg you dove have a radial or axial scrubber?

silent running:
Hey Chris, did the Meg you dove have a radial or axial scrubber?

Axial. The Radial is due any week now eyebrow
Hey Steve just showed up at the door with 4 Brand New Megs. Wonder if he would miss one :D

Cheers
Chris

silent running:
Hi Mverick, the test results are on the SMI site under "news and testing", And yes it appears they test inhale/exhale and combine them. NEDU measured the hydrostatic loads, resistive levels and peak to peak mouth pressures at an RMV of 75 lpm. The tests seem pretty comprehensive and I imagine that the USN has been testing UBAs-dive gear-for a long time, probably longer than anybody else.

As for independance, I don't see why the USN would not be independant on this issue. After all, if their combat swimmers can't perform at their peak during a demanding operation, who would benefit from that?

For me WOB is as big deal as any because it's the one of only 2 factors that we as divers have any control over in the production of CO2, the other being scrubber design. And don't forget, WOB increases with depth, as does stress. So frankly, I want all the help I can get when I find myself in demanding situations... -Andy

I won't dive Navy tables straight. I won't dive a Lar5 to the depths the Navy does. Why on earth would I follow there guidelines for there gear?

And, you actually believe that a test now on a Meg on a different machine is going to be reliable to compare to a Machine tested years ago by the Navy?

I don't. It would be a waste of time to compare the 2 figures.

BOTH the Meg and Prism have great WOB. Wanting to nit pick on little things. And you want a 6year old test against a new test? Exactly what do you think you'd get? It would be unreliable info. I want reliable info.

I agree. I'd like to see comprehensive tests. But unlike you. I think all units need to be tested at the same time. For it to be worth much.

Test them both now on a machine the same way. Only way to get good info.

If they do test both inhale and exhale effort. Do they weight one? Because, if you have a hard exhale and a easy inhale. While another unit is the opposite. Which would you think would seem like it had better WOB in the real world?

Like I said. I have a Meg I'll send in. Anybody know someone with a machine?

I've heard some saying that this is the best CCr right now. Unfortunately the web page is only in Chech's
http://www.mentes.cz/

I know nothing about CCR so this maybe a wrong translation of the shor descritpion:

It's called Mentes and is produced by IqSub. It has differen absorbent, can use radial CisLunar one. It has Jurgersen stearing system but the version that is not yet on the market with digital depth sensors. Countelungs are BI, but mouthpiece is of a new construction although based on CisLunar with some elements from apeks and interspiro.

Here is some technical data in English
http://www.mentes.cz/odkazy/tech_data.htm

Mania

Why is it that you would believe this is the best CCR on the market?

Let me just go through a few points on that page.

2.7hours on a 2.3kg of sofnolime at 1.5L/M i get 5hours on my Meg with similar proportions.
Why use 300Bar O2, who is going to fill that for you?
Just because it says radial scrubber it does not mean it is a Cis scrubber, no where on the page you refer to says there is a Cis Lunar scrubber.
Again it does not say Cis lunar mouth piece, it says Bob Howels moutpiece, very good piece of equipment though. Where do you see it saying it has a new Hammerhead controller not released to the market? All i see is a controller calledd MK1-Mike, which has a crappy set point controller. Only 0.7 and 1.3? What is that? i have Manual, 0.4, 0.7, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 on my Meg. And almost all the ECCRs on the market have the oportunity to have many different setpoints.

/Jonny

mania:
I've heard some saying that this is the best CCr right now. Unfortunately the web page is only in Chech's
http://www.mentes.cz/

I know nothing about CCR so this maybe a wrong translation of the shor descritpion:

It's called Mentes and is produced by IqSub. It has differen absorbent, can use radial CisLunar one. It has Jurgersen stearing system but the version that is not yet on the market with digital depth sensors. Countelungs are BI, but mouthpiece is of a new construction although based on CisLunar with some elements from apeks and interspiro.

Here is some technical data in English
http://www.mentes.cz/odkazy/tech_data.htm

Mania

The true test is by the end user. If you like it you dive it if you don't, sell it and buy a meg:D

Back
Top Bottom