What did you learn about CCR selection after ___X___hours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I learned is I got very lucky on my first unit. I bought a fathom without trying any other units. I actually had no interest in rebreathers at the time. I got lucky that I love the unit as much as I do. About 2 years after getting the fathom I did the sidewinder course and hated almost everything about it. It made me appreciate the fathom. I have since tried other units as well. Some I liked some I didn't. But the most important thing is I could only make that distinction due to having ccr experience. I say if you can rent a unit and take the course, do that. Try dives are a waste of time.

I've started witn an inspiration classic, then upgraded it, always have heard comments about switch to other, Megs, Prisms and Optimas are the most used backmount in Brazil.
Got a sidewinder, and started using it for most, but then, after 3 or 4 years, i've just noticed that i felt more secure on the Inspo, that i got more gas leaking issues with the SW, and far less tweaks, and, there wasn't any diving my pals do that i can't do with my Inspo, except maybe some passage restrictions.
Só the inspiration works quite well for me, and take me where i want to, so don't see a point in getting on other backmount unit right now, and even just became Inspiration Instructor.
Now, about the sidewinder i am really wondering about if its pros supersseed its cons, Sidewinders have a strong following people here (after all, everyone must justify the money spent)
Maybe i'll try a CM to use at caves.
But what i've learned is if it suits me well, has a good quality material, i can maintain it without headaches, and, speccially, is safe, and makes me feel safe, will be a nice unity

I’ve seen no shortage of suggestions for new CCR divers to buy a used unit and to get experience up to __X__ hours so that an educated decision can be made about a long term unit.

I went into CCR blind with a chop and ~2.5 years later I don’t regret it. I didn’t have the benefit of other CCR divers to affect my decision. I went with the Chop because of its modular nature which appeals to my inclination to tinker. I certainly have my opinions about its strengths and weaknesses but am genuinely curious what the more experienced here think. FWIW, I now have buddies which dive BM optimas, Liberty SM, Liberty BM, JJs, Prisms, and Megs.

Serious questions: what do you expect newbies to learn? What did you learn? What did I miss?

my suspicions that units of a similar form factor are effectively the same so you should choose a form factor that works for you and then whittle down based on other criteria. I think the buy used, get experience, then buy the one you want is much less critical when looking at a non-traditional form factor like the O2ptima CM, Sidewinder, Sidekick, etc. vs. a backmounted unit where the real differences on a dive between a Meg, X-CCR, Hammerhead, Defender, or Fathom are really negligible since they are functionally the same rebreather but the decision on which one to buy is going to be largely dependent on fringe factors.

Things have changed a lot since I started with a Drager Dolphin SCR about 25 years ago, I could tell that a mCCR wasn't for me so I waited patiently for a "safer" eCCR to come along and eventually it did in the form of the Poseidon Discovery/Mk6 about 12 years ago as I wasn't satisfied with the safety of the voting logic system employed by most rebreathers given the unreliability of cells at the time.

I'm now diving a Poseidon Se7en with the solid state cells and they are another step forward for rebreather safety. Now that the solid state cells are freely available for all manufacturers to incorporate into their rebreathers I hope to see a much wider range of manufacturers modifying their heads to incorporate solid state cells which might entice me to look at other rebreathers - the main difference from a manufacturer point of view is that the solid state cells require a power source.

The only other thing that I would say is be prepared to customise and try things, there are only a few wrong answers.

My first unit was a v2.06 Meg. The secondary handset died after my first year and was replaced with a fisher cable and the motherboard was upgraded to a v2.7 which I am still diving today.

Things I discovered I disliked:
Over the shoulder CLs
Radial scrubbers
DSVs
Single LED HUDs
SPG's behind the CLs
CLs held down by bungies through the crotch strap

Things I learned I liked:
TOS CLs
Axial scrubbers
BOVs
Batteries and on-off switches in the head
Solenoids
Live ppO2 and deco monitoring with a standalone backup
SS plate and a DR butt plate below

Is the term "piloting" a rebreather not appropriate? A pilot safely guides ships into ports. A rebreather needs a person to continually monitor them and resolve any issues that arise; like a pilot.
Airplanes are piloted. In the air.

Like submarines, RBs are dove, dived, etc. In the water.

My first unit was a v2.06 Meg. The secondary handset died after my first year and was replaced with a fisher cable and the motherboard was upgraded to a v2.7 which I am still diving today.

Things I discovered I disliked:
Over the shoulder CLs
Radial scrubbers
DSVs
Single LED HUDs
SPG's behind the CLs
CLs held down by bungies through the crotch strap

Things I learned I liked:
TOS CLs
Axial scrubbers
BOVs
Batteries and on-off switches in the head
Solenoids
Live ppO2 and deco monitoring with a standalone backup
SS plate and a DR butt plate below
I started with FMCL on the Poseidon, went to BMCL and didn't like them so went back to FMCL again.
Haven't tried any other scrubbers
BOV is a must in my opinion, and must have a breathable gas feeding it at all times - no use having a BOV with a hypoxic gas feeding it when things go tits up just under the surface.
I'm about to add a Shearwater Nerd2 with PPO2 reading off a solid state cell - this is going to be a big leap from the useless Poseidon HUD

I'm about to add a Shearwater Nerd2 with PPO2 reading off a solid state cell - this is going to be a big leap from the useless Poseidon HUD
Nerds are great. Learned that from my Revo.

They really come into their own when using the compass.

Nerds are great. Learned that from my Revo.

They really come into their own when using the compass.
Yes I can't wait - to have all essential info available at a glance instead of having to free up a hand to look at my wrist

Now that the solid state cells are freely available for all manufacturers
Source on this? Heard the same but haven't seen concrete info on any specifics regarding the Poseidon / PyroScience exclusivity agreement or any expiration thereof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom