What do you bring on the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
yup, and never accidently leave undies on the boat or they end up on the flag pole. So, if someone calls you and asks if you left some, just say no.

"deny, deny, deny" (Bill Clinton)

Now, that is funny! :lol:

how about a first-aid kit :D

Then maybe a few beers for after the dive :wink:

Always descending,
c.h.

Diving equipment :D

a cooler with fruits, vegetables, water, ice, sweets (chocolate, pastries, etc' depending on the mood).

Sunblock, tank o-rings (viton/regular), extra weights (6 pounds), extra mask, towel, q-tips, tip money, sunglasses and hooded vest (in case I get cold on the first dive).

LuvDaOcean:
<snip> a backpack towel sounds like a great idea if only I knew what one was. Ber or anyone else, can you help with this? <snip>
LDA,

I'm not sure what a backpack towel is either but this is what I use:

http://www.speedousa.com/index.cfm/...oductID/557ff8bf-c6da-4407-b627-9f7a7e98a7f2/

It's very small and light, and comes in a tube to keep it moist and away from dry items.

How much do I tip to whom? Who do I hand the money to? I'm seriously in the dark when it comes to this. help?
Great questions! I look forward to an answer as well!

And, annasea, no I don't mind at all if you piggyback on this thread. I'd like to know the answer to your question too since I was only planning on bringing flip flops myself. :)
I'm considering those Crocs-style shoes. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

LuvDaOcean, You forgot the kitchen sink. Going on the cattle boats I have been on, you might find yourself leaving 90% of that stuff on the dock! They normally tell us, if you are not taking it down with you, it ain't coming on board!

The snack cooler may be pushing it on a crowded boat but most suggestions are tiny and spot on IMO. Certainly bring a bottle of water per dive and some small snacks, cracker, tail mix stuff. They can live in a pocket of your mesh bag.

A well equipped dive boat should have the first aid kit covered but it's an excellent item for the car when diving near home.

Great idea on the hard case for eyeglasses. I'm 50-50 on remembering that one.

Tipping good DM service seems to be $5 per tank as a norm for good service. A search will find many extended threads. Hand it to whoever served you best on departure. If they pool the tips or the captain gets a cut let them manage it.

If you have return trip clothes or other stuff that wants to stay dry a water resistant duffle in the mesh bag is handy. Often there is dry space up front that is offered and if you can break away that subset then you're set to get wet on the dive deck.

Have a great trip!

Pete

i use those sport sandals with a strap on the backs, beefier than tevas but you get the idea. i like having backs so i can't accidentally kick out of them on the wet deck. another pair i use sometimes are plastic birkis, the kind with two straps across the top. they have those deep foot beds, so i'm less likely to have them come off. normal little flip-flops aren't secure enough for me, and are very slippery.

i second the chapstick, water, microfiber towel (try bed bath & beyond, a travel store, or even target), hat, hair claw (i just rinse & stick it up, i don't brush or condition or anything), and large ziplocks. i take big bulldog clips (about an inch, not the 3 inch ones) in case it's blowing and i want to secure the wetsuit while it drips. i take a book, but i take a book everywhere, so i'm weird that way.

i hope you have a blast!

I'm barefoot on the boat, the weights falling thing isn't an issue because I make everyone put the weights on the deck.

Please don't bring a cooler on a little boat, there just isn't room. If you have some stuff you'd like to put in a cooler, there's likely to be one on board already.

Tipping: Tip the boat crew independently of the instructor. $5-10 per tank is standard for the crew. If you listen to the debrief, they may tell you who to tip, if they don't hand it to the divemaster or captain with these words "This is for you two to split." or "This is for YOU." If you would like to tip your instructor, do so after the class is over and just hand it over with a thank you. I've never seen a situation where instructors and boat crew split tips.

Rachel

i almost peed myself when i read "CREME RINSE" but, then i have a buzz cut - so i couldn't really relate....

but....

remember, this is like a trip to gilligan's island, it's a "3 hour tour" - not a week long liveAboard.... cattle boats are well, like cattle boats... crowded. less is more... you'll be dried in the air in about 5 minutes.... it's freakin' 95deg down here! check out the NOAA buoy!

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=MLRF1

forget the jackets and windbreakers and such nonsense.... bring your BIG "T" and a SARONG or a pair of culottes (or whatever those 1/2 shorts - 1/2 skirts are called) for modesty's sake if you're so inclined and slather on the sunscreen AFTER diving (quite yucky IN a wetsuit)

this may be minor or it may be major... do you KNOW if you get seasick? do NOT underestimate the power of this green eyed monster. discuss options with your instructor if you're not sure

for a thorough list check out:
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/basic_skills/the_ultimate_predive_checklist/

oh yea..... and have fun!!!! use the camera topSide for pics of all the smiling faces!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom