What do you bring on the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My own personal favorite "gotta have it" is antacid tablets. I always seem to get heartburn after changes in altitude/depth, no matter how much I hydrate beforehand.

Congrats on the upcoming certification!
Gosh, I think everyone has covered this but here is my $.02 worth:

Regular beach towels take too long to dry and can be heavy if soaked, I use the quick drying microfiber ones previously mentioned. When traveling, these towels can be washed in the sink. They are worth the money.

I always wear a pair of shorts and T-shirt over a bathing suit, flip-flops and hat to the boat. I recommend taking a couple of sarongs. After the dive, peel off the wetsuit and tie a sarong around you. It allows more "airflow" to let the bathing suit dry faster. Sarongs also can be used as a towel and sink-washed later.

If it is going to be a longer boat ride, remember wearing watershoes or dive booties the whole time tend to make feet hot and won't dry out. If you do, it's a good idea to bring Waterproof band-aids since dive booties can sometimes rub on soft, pruny feet.

Also bring Swim Ear or something like it. You don't want someone bumping your elbow while you've got a Q-tip your ear. Trust me on that one.

Good luck, give us a trip report when you get back!

-Em

Hello fellow scubagirl,

You need to take a dry bag that has your sunglasses, towel, water, sunscreen, camera and all you dive table and log book. I dont think you will need all the hair products. My husband and I where there in Dec. 2005. You do not want to take to much and clutter up the boat. Take a small bag of skittles they work well for salt water taste.

Most importantly, bring a smile and a good sense of humor!

Hey, and don't forget Swim Ear for after the dives. And some good lip balm!
Get a dry bag for sure - you won't regret it. Have a great time!

If you're going to be sitting around in a wet bathing suit for a week or so, I'd take Diflucan tablets. But maybe that's just me. (Sorry if this is TMI for the menfolk.)

I also always take a run of mild antibiotics (it's soooo easy to catch the cold of whoever's on the boat, given the confined spaces and shared eating utensils...don't want that turning into bronchitis)...earplugs, since I'm a light sleeper and may be bunking next to the head; an IPod (useful for backing up photos, also music); about as many 1- and 2-gallon Ziplocs as I can carry (keeps stuff dry, also you can see it); some plastic alligator clips for hanging stuff from the rigging to dry; my own insulated mug, since I'm a wimp about drinking hot beverage; spray conditioner (I like the John Frieda anti-frizz stuff) for putting on right after leaving the water, so the salt water doesn't make my head into a rat's nest; a couple bandannas (useful for all kinds of stuff); a fistful of change in various nationalities (good for screwing stuff together in my camera housing); and last but not least several packages of Wet Ones (usually the antibacterial kind). They're good for cleaning your hands and getting the salt off your face.

I also usually go to the Goodwill before the trip and buy t-shirts and a white long sleeve shirt for a couple bucks. That way I can spill stuff all over them and it won't matter. Believe me, everyone will look awful and nobody will even notice, cause you'll be having so much fun. :10:

On towels: If you buy big nice beach towels, they will not dry. Remember if you're on a liveaboard, you'll be relying on Mother Nature to dry your laundry. You can buy cheapo beach towels for $3 or so at Walgreens that are good sized and dry quickly. Since they're inexpensive you can leave 'em behind if you buy a bunch of souvenirs you need to take home.

Oh, and from a ways back? I'm finally going to make Divemaster this weekend, and I can't imagine anyone getting angry if you take a small waterproof camera on a training dive. Just don't take a big, huge heavy SLR housing or anything, the kind with huge lights and stuff!

Have fun and good luck!!!!!!

Oooh, I got c-ed in the Keys too last November! I took minimal stuff. But I did bring a towel (to wrap up in for the ride back) and Aussie three minute miracle to put in my hair. I often bopped around town right afterwards and walking around with dreads when you just can't pull them off sucks. And I got comments on how nice my hair smelled from the other divers. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom