What do you bring on the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meekal, that is just nasty...now I am even more set on my plunging of the mask over the side of the boat method that I have hooned. Also, I don't know if any of you have tried the dish detergent they sell in Central America...it comes in round little butter-type containers...It is the BEST defogger I have ever found.

I get cold so I would bring a non-cotton t-shirt on the trip..I usually bring a polypro or capaline long sleeved shirt. It can be 95 degrees and I am freezing after a 50 minute dive. I don't bother with cotton anymore. It is going to get wet immediately.

Aren't you supposed to take the seasick pills the night before the dive?

In any case, I think that she'll find the keys very calm, unless she plans to go in the middle of a hurricane.. :D

I have the McNett Microfiber towel and love it. It's even big enough to make it into a wrap skirt and it dries quickly. Make sure you follow the washing instructions--line dry only.

I actually got mine at the dive shop at Stuart Coves in the Bahamas.
Ber :lilbunny:

On the boats we've been on in Hawaii, they won't let you wear any shoes, anyway.

I wear a one piece bathing suit under my wetsuit. When we get off the boat, I throw on a microfiber shirt I bought for our camping trip down the Grand Canyon (REI) and a pair of light nylon pants, the kind that zip down to shorts if you want (also REI). They dry almost instantly, although the suit beneath does not :(

In Hawaii, I have found a windbreaker over the wetsuit to be very helpful. Although the air temperature is high, when the boat is moving, the evaporation can get chilly, and this is especially true if you're doing mutiple dives.

I have to admit that I like a beach-sized towel -- can double as windbreaker if necessary.

My husband and I take on a gear bag each (the mesh kind that you can fold up and put away) and one bag to go forward which has the dry clothes and towel in it. That seems to be acceptable -- everything is soft and easily stowed.

ItsBruce:
Not that *you* really need it, but I don't go on anything that floats (other than a kayak) without my own GPS and VHF radio.

i wouldn't get 'caught' with a GPS over here in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico.... the Capt finds out and either you or the GPS is going overboard.... folks tend to be very *protective* of the 'sites'

VHF radio? where do you store the 8' antennae? with VHF being line of sight, the pocket version usually only have 5 mile range which is within sight of land which.....

As I said, I don't go without them. It always gets worked out at the dock. If my electronics can't go, I won't go. ... But, I've never had a problem as its a matter of "professional courtesy." BTW: I also always bring the wax part from a toilet ring. I've saved two boats from flooding.

so, Bruce, what do you do with that wax, patch the boat? Well, not too long ago, my friend had divers on a night dive and the stuffing came out of the shaft. So...he raced back to the dock, fixed the boat, and then went back to find the divers...they had been picked up by someone else.

you never really consider that the boat might be giving you a one way trip.

ItsBruce:
As I said, I don't go without them. It always gets worked out at the dock. If my electronics can't go, I won't go. ... But, I've never had a problem as its a matter of "professional courtesy." BTW: I also always bring the wax part from a toilet ring. I've saved two boats from flooding.

dang.... how BIG *IS* your save a dive kit? - hehehehe - just joshing withYA.....

but what exactly -do- you do with the GPS? so you can get back to the same site or so you can get back home? "as a matter of 'professional courtesy'" ???? i'm even more confused now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom