What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't regret any gear purchases yet, but I've only had my gear for ~5 months. I am really glad that I found Scubaboard and read a lot before buying gear. I am definitely glad that I didn't get an integrated inflator/octopus.

The Citizen Aqualand NX was just messed up. Even taking it in the pool with students, we have a 13 foot pool I was getting a reading of 16 feet. Also, I didn't like the fact it does not keep track of your o2 levels over a 24 hour period.

A dive knife, where the pins holding the stainless steel blade to the plastic handle was not stainless steel and rusted out in 6 months.

all the copies of SportDIVER i've ever bought. Why did i bother when i've got the internet and get better advise for free, from DIVERS not clerks.

Not really a regret but i'd like a better dry suit. My current one is back zippered and has badly placed pockets. But then it was only 400 sterling. So it wasn't an amazingly expensive suit.

My suunto stinger, i lost after 15 dives. Well wasn't that bothered as i had decided to dive with only bottom timer.

3mm gloves my dive shop suggested. IT WAS FREEZING. actually anything my local dive shop has suggested, they are CRAP.

My PADI AOW class, i thought was way to cold in a rented dry suit, and i learnt absolutely nothing.

My PADI deep diver course i did in the Caribbean. I dive in a wet suit. Why the hell did i learn to deep dive in warm water....

Other than that, all the other stuff i've bought was after i had discovered DIR, so am quite happy with it :]. Maybe not need the 2 s600 regs mind.

gear i'm really happy with:-

weezle compact socks. i suffer from terribly colod feet
deep sea supply boots from bottom timer and compass
dirzone knife
heser back-up light
eclipse 30

Most of all i'm happy i didn't have any money to buy gear when i first started diver, so that everything bought took along time, limiting the mistakes :p

(edit: this post seems barely readable, but then it's 4:30 am so let me off) :p

My Ice Diver class:D

No more excuses when asked to going diving in the cold months...

Paul in VT

I don't regret any dive purchases that I have made, because even if I eventually thought they sucked it was a learning experience and in some way I am a better diver for them. However there are some purchases I would not make again.

No more big dive knifes, I have found that james bond has apparantly killed off all the evil scuba villans, and that best 'defense' against sharks is to stay out of their way and don't chum the area.

And while I am sure to be flamed by the DIR defenders, I regreted purchase of long hoses for primary(5' & 7') as they were a pita to deal with, went to 36" for primary and found it works much better for me.

Other than that, some things have worked a little better or worse than others, I usually try to figure out why and see if it is something I am doing wrong(amazing how enlightening reading a manual can be :wink: )

1. My Snorkel - Used on one dive, after a 200m surface swim told myself never again will I bring a snorkel again. Couldn't stash it on my oversize bcd pockets, couldnt convieniently let it sink to the bottom since it floats.

2. Mares Mission Compass. Should of saved some $$$ and got myself an Sk-7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom