What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Scubapro Air2 inflator/alternate air source(Don't know what I was thinking)
My new disappointment seems to also be a piece of their gear
A digital programable compass.Although not really sure with this piece yet, because the problems I'm having might be operator error. (new gear) lol

I'll admit I did not read all 19 pages of this thread. I wish I had bought a weight-integrated bc from the start. As a new diver I wasn't sure how much diving I was going to do, but I did want my own equipment, so I kept costs low and bought good stuff, but saved some money on the bc. Shouldn't have. Now I have two and don't use one.

The list is too long:

- Suunto Favor dive computer ... hated the darn thing, the instructions were gobbeldygook, and I eventually gave it away to a new diver.
- Two AL80 tanks ... switched to Steel 80's with DIN and have loved it.
- Two of those stupid tank carrier handles with the velcro straps.
- Steel 100 tank ... pretty stupid for the beach diving I do and, once I learned how to dive properly, waaaayyyyy too much air.
- Big honkin' knife ... the BS knife & shears are much more practical
- Spare Air ... do the math; spare air won't give much help at 100', especially if the *** hits the fan and your SAC rate jumps to 1.5. Got a 19' pony bottle for solo and deep dives and am glad I did, although I've never needed it.
- TUSA jet fins .. too stiff compared to the Apollo Bio fins.
- A dedicated Nitrox tank...the only time I use Nitrox is on dive trips.

Thank god my wife has a sense of humor about this. Having six tanks in the garage, I'll admit, was a bit ridiculous! Besides, I have to give myself credit for NOT buying one of the fancy Suunto D9 dive computers with the digital compass when all my buddies were doing it....and they all now concede that a digital compass is pretty goofy.

It's too funny what gear some people like and others hate. Like many, I have a garage full of stuff I just had to have and never used or did not like.

Things I wished I had not bought.
HP 80 steel tank. Used once then found that my pony would not fit on it because of my bc lower strap.

4 masks. Why does a rental mask work well, then you buy one and they leak. Murphy must follow me around LDS'.

Tusa Expert splits. Should of just stuck with my Scuba Pro's

A US Divers"Mike Nelson" size dive knife. But you must admit you look like a real diver with that pig sticker on your leg. Now have two other smaller ones on my leg and bcd.

Wet Suit. Bought right away not knowing that staying warm in a raft shooting rapids is not the same as being under water for 1 hr+. Went dry within 25 dives.

Harveys Dry suit. Finally got a DUI Cf200

6 cuft, 13 cuft pony. [both sold now] As mentioned when the sh** hits the fan at 100' you can't have to much air. Now use a 19 or a 30.

This is just a few of the items. Heck I have a tub in the garage full of stuff.

I bought a Citizen Aqualand NX, and had nothing but problems with it. Luckily on my first dive trip with that watch/computer I was using it as a back up, but it was a major disappointment. I still have the thing, but never use it. Replaced it with the Suunto D9 and I love it.

what problems do you have with the NX?

careerdiver:
I bought a Citizen Aqualand NX, and had nothing but problems with it. Luckily on my first dive trip with that watch/computer I was using it as a back up, but it was a major disappointment. I still have the thing, but never use it. Replaced it with the Suunto D9 and I love it.

The Aqualand NX has very very conservative numbers. It uses the algorithm that is by far the most conservative. It was also miscalibrated when I first bought it, snet it back and they reprogrammed it. Even after that, about 3 dives into its use it was showing incorrect numbers. At one point in my dive, my Datamax Pro Plus II was showing 64 feet and my wife's Sherwood Wisdom had 65 feet and my Citizen Aqualand NX was showing 73 feet. That was the final straw. Now it sits in the case it came in. (The case is the best thing about it). Also, when diving with it you cannot switch between air and nitrox. This is a minor inconvience because you just have to set it to 21% when diving with air in nitrox mode.

ah it seems it was showing you some EAD then in reverse.

careerdiver:
The Aqualand NX has very very conservative numbers. It uses the algorithm that is by far the most conservative. It was also miscalibrated when I first bought it, snet it back and they reprogrammed it. Even after that, about 3 dives into its use it was showing incorrect numbers. At one point in my dive, my Datamax Pro Plus II was showing 64 feet and my wife's Sherwood Wisdom had 65 feet and my Citizen Aqualand NX was showing 73 feet. That was the final straw. Now it sits in the case it came in. (The case is the best thing about it). Also, when diving with it you cannot switch between air and nitrox. This is a minor inconvience because you just have to set it to 21% when diving with air in nitrox mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom