What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marineboy65:
But worse than that, I had never experienced dry mouth until 10 minutes into my first dive with this reg. It's not just a slight case of dry mouth, it's absolutely chronic!. After 2 dives, in one day, with this reg, i was peeing orange for 2 days, drinking as much water as humanly possible took 2 days to totally rehydrate. I'd hate to think what would happen if i was to do a liveaboard with this reg. Doing 3 to 4 dives a day, for 3 or 4 days or more. I'm sure i would end up so dehydrated that I'd undoubtedly end up with the bends.

I doubt if the dry mouth you experienced was caused by the regulator. Except for a couple of regulators that injected moisture into the air, all regulators provide the same amount of dryness. Dry is good because the only source of wetness is sea water and you don't want that inside your regulator.

Sherwood Magnums were known to be "wet breathers" leaking sea water with every breath. Maybe you got used to that and felt that the Aqualung was dry by comparison. But, when it comes to regulators, most people believe that dry is good, wet is bad...

Hydration is a whole different issue. We recommend to all our divers that they consume several bottles of water during a days diving. You lose water through the dry-air (from the tank, not the reg), from sweating (yes, even underwater) and from the sun.

Regards
Peter

Hmmm....really the only thing I would change that I've purchased so far is the huge hunk of plastic I call a snorkel! Not that I'm against snorkels, or one of the people that don't wear one, I just think the one I bought (Ocean Master Dry) is a bit overkill for regular everyday diving. I would get something a little lighter in composition or a flex/folding snorkel for diving.

Other than that, I think I've made pretty good decisions and have received good guidance from my LDS, friends, and on SB!

Bought 2 of the USD Aluminum 72's (floaters) back in 1970. They were + boyant when empty so you were clawing to stay down near the end of a dive.

'Slogger

I just wanted to chime in and say that, as a new diver who is getting ready to make a significant initial equipment purchase, I have found this thread to be immensely useful.

Thank you!

Besides this, search for the threads that talk about the particular piece of gear you are going to purchase...when I was thinking about buying my regs, I went to that area, and just noodled around, then when I was going for the BC, I went there...lot's of good and bad comments about everything!

Divin'Hoosier:
I just wanted to chime in and say that, as a new diver who is getting ready to make a significant initial equipment purchase, I have found this thread to be immensely useful.

Thank you!

Well... I was so lucky not to list that many regret items thanks to many SB members.
I have bought many gears and kept buying the gear though. I used to sell unused stuff immediately.. So, it wasn't bad so far.... Recently, I sold out all SP BCDs and only keep the triple_L BC for the occational use.... I sitll like Air 2 for the rec diving with my GF (it is the simple set up)...

My list:

Suunto D9. I had better get VR3 or other tech oriented computers.
Canon HID. Canister light is way to go for my diving.
50lb lift bag
100ft spool
Wrist slate Wet note is much better
PST tanks

My husband bought a Zeagle BC, and while he likes it, he'd rather have a Dive Rite or Halcyon BC. Since he became a dive master, he likes the streamlined approach of Dive Rite & Halcyon -- he thinks it's safer.

This whole discussion started when someone accidentally pulled his integrated weight release on a dive boat. Thankfully, it was on the boat, so there was not an accident. However, this got us all into a discussion about what would happen if an inexperienced diver freaked out underwater due to lack of air -- and pulled his weight release. This kicked off a long discussion of pros & cons of integrated weights.

My husband now wears a weight belt, as do I. It just seems like less can go wrong.

Excellent point Heather. You can get rid of them quicker but they hurt like H*** if they hit you coming down.

Happy Diving

HeatherFougnier:
My husband bought a Zeagle BC, and while he likes it, he'd rather have a Dive Rite or Halcyon BC. Since he became a dive master, he likes the streamlined approach of Dive Rite & Halcyon -- he thinks it's safer.

This whole discussion started when someone accidentally pulled his integrated weight release on a dive boat. Thankfully, it was on the boat, so there was not an accident. However, this got us all into a discussion about what would happen if an inexperienced diver freaked out underwater due to lack of air -- and pulled his weight release. This kicked off a long discussion of pros & cons of integrated weights.

My husband now wears a weight belt, as do I. It just seems like less can go wrong.

Actually the same thing can happen if they freak out and drop their weight belt. It's designed to be dropped easily in case of emergency. I've seen weight belts dropped on boats by accident as well if it is not done up properly.

Scubapro SONIC regulator, bought in '72. It had a low pressure alert, below 900psi which was very irritating. It made a loud noise and vibrated. My buddy got a laugh, sold it after two dives to a guy on a boat who thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Back
Top Bottom