NEED ADVICE buying a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A drysuit is a big commitment for a beginner who’s not even done any diving in the UK where water temperatures range from 18 degrees C in the summer to 7 degrees in winter. It is possible to dive in the UK using a wetsuit in the summer months which many people do. A frequent diver will virtually always dive a drysuit in the UK all season long.

New drysuit prices range from ~£600 to many thousands depending upon the type, accessories and the underclothes.

Second hand drysuits are considerably less. If you’re lucky you can grab a bargain. Some sellers have unrealistic expectations for selling old drysuits — they do not hold their price like other diving equipment.

As a buyer you need to:
  • Ensure the drysuit fits you. Length is critical as a tight or baggy fitting drysuit simply doesn’t work in the water. Torso length (tight/baggy crotch when crouched into a ball), arms and legs the right length. Boots mustn’t be loose.
  • Ensure that the drysuit is dry. This means a test dive AND money back guarantee if it leaks. A second hand teabag is worthless!
  • Repairs cost money. Replacing a zipper is a couple of hundred quid. A neck seal, boots/socks and wrist seals around a hundred each. Fixing leaks is time consuming as holes are hard to find. Pressure testing also costs money. Look up the prices for the repair services at Hammond Drysuits (I highly recommend their service)
  • The drysuit must look like it’s in a pretty good condition, inside and out. Drysuits don’t age well.
  • The seller must be helpful and understanding. A money back guarantee is required. A take it or leave it attitude means walk away.
  • Don’t be pressurised — second hand drysuits sell slowly.
  • Why are they selling is a good question. Old drysuits are often kept as spares for when the main suit breaks — drysuits need periodic repairs. An old shagged out and leaking drysuit is worthless. If someone is giving up diving then that may be a good deal if it’s low use and been looked after.
  • Get an experienced person to help you with buying a drysuit. Clubs are good for this.
  • If you’re an average size it’s easier to find a suit that will fit. If not then a custom made-to-fit suit might be your only option.
My first drysuit was a £550 Northern Diver Voyager suit (now £680) that worked well and was quite cheap. Until I added another pocket, a fly zip, pee valve and dry gloves.

This was replaced by a custom made Predator membrane drysuit at around £1800. Lasted 8 years and hundreds of dives. Worked really well and is now my backup drysuit— sent to Hammond's for replacement socks and leak repairs before storing it.

Most recent was a £2800 Santi custom made suit plus another £800 on a custom made undersuit plus heating at another £1000. I dive all year round around the UK and normally dive at least two hours per dive with extensive decompression obligations. My life literally depends upon a reliable drysuit, so that massive outlay isn’t an extravagance.

My advice to you would be to rent a drysuit or wetsuit for your initial training. If you’re hooked and want to dive in the UK — we’re blessed with some of the best wreck diving in the world— then look at the lower cost options, probably buying new AND trying it on in the shop!

Final word. One of the guys I regularly dive with is highly addicted to diving and has dived beyond 100m on his rebreather and has spent huge sums on his sport. He still dives a Northern Diver DiveMaster suit.
Firstly, thanks to everyone for the advice. Thanks in particular to you Wibble!

I am going to hold off til Monday at the earliest, if it's possible to hire from Stoney Cove (UK) then I will try to do my open water dives renting from them, only concern with this is that I will have absolutely 0 drysuit exp in the pool. Otherwise, I may bite the bullet and spend around 500 on a drysuit with the plan to resell it for around a 100quid loss at the end of my training.

Have considered a wetsuit but it is looking likely that my OW dives will be carried out in Nov (10c ISH water temp) and the biggest "scare" factor for me at the moment it feeling very cold.... So a drysuit is only the real option for the dives, especially considering BSAC give drysuit certification as a part of ocean diver (as long as you do your checkout dives with one).

Apart from Stoney, I don't have anywhere local (within about a 1hr 30min range of me) so renting isn't an option from other dive shops. If I have to buy a drysuit I will, but I will make sure it's second hand and has some re-sell value. If I'm mistaken in anything I've said in this comment let me know, but these are my current thoughts.

If you can get a good deal on a drysuit from the closing dive shop,I’d jump on it. It’ll give you a good incentive to follow through on your diving endeavors.
You’re in the UK so make that “endeavours” whilst I’m at it.
Good luck with your training.

I am going to hold off til Monday at the earliest, if it's possible to hire from Stoney Cove (UK) then I will try to do my open water dives renting from them, only concern with this is that I will have absolutely 0 drysuit exp in the pool. Otherwise, I may bite the bullet and spend around 500 on a drysuit with the plan to resell it for around a 100quid loss at the end of my training.

Have considered a wetsuit but it is looking likely that my OW dives will be carried out in Nov (10c ISH water temp) and the biggest "scare" factor for me at the moment it feeling very cold.... So a drysuit is only the real option for the dives, especially considering BSAC give drysuit certification as a part of ocean diver (as long as you do your checkout dives with one).

Apart from Stoney, I don't have anywhere local (within about a 1hr 30min range of me) so renting isn't an option from other dive shops. If I have to buy a drysuit I will, but I will make sure it's second hand and has some re-sell value. If I'm mistaken in anything I've said in this comment let me know, but these are my current thoughts.

If you haven't already, you need to have a good discussion with your instructor. I don't know too many instructors that would take a diver with zero drysuit experience in open water without some orientation time in a pool or a very confined water area...that you are "a complete beginner", not yet certified, and have little to no experience on SCUBA, I would be extremely surprised if your instructor would be ok with you showing with a drysuit you have never used. I would also be scared of any instructor who is cool with it.

There is nothing wrong with doing OW certification training in a drysuit, but that includes pool time and the accompanying skills assessments in the pool using the drysuit along with a primer/instruction on drysuit use and safety before heading to do skills/checkout dives in open water.

-Z

If you are thinking of renting from Stoney. Probably worth giving them a call and explaining your situation with regards to training. See what they require to rent you a suit. It may require some kind words/paperwork from your instructor. It’s a long time since I rented a drysuit, and a time when drysuit qualifications either didn’t exist or weren’t required.

==
TLDR: Get certified first and take a drysuit class so you know what to look for. Used deals will come and go if you are trying to save a few bucks. But if buying used you need some experience to know what to look for.
==

I don't see much point in buying gear before you are even certified, beyond your mask, fin, snorkel, and booties. You may find that there's an issue preventing you from diving unless addressed, such as an ear thing. Admittedly rare, but it happens.

Take the time to talk to other divers in your area about what works for them, what shops are good in standing behind products and supporting customers, etc.

If you have the opportunity to dive the used drysuit first, do it. There's a number of things to look out for in a used drysuit that may not be apparent unless you have experience with them. If you find yourself diving regularly, get involved in a local club. Quite often others will be selling used gear that you can pick up for cheap, and you get to know the person and how they likely would have treated it. Or they can assist you in assessing your prospective purchase. Much like here on the forum, but in person.

I was checking out drysuit fit one time when I found that one seemed like it fit ok when going through range of motion movements. I thought it was going to work, despite being on the upper edge of the size for the suit. However, when I arranged a couple of stools in the shop so I could lie on top of them in a face down diving position, I found that the legs were tight when it came to doing some fining techniques. I was probably quite the sight there in the shop, laying across a couple stools with a drysuit, fins and backplate on doing various kicks. But if dropping a few thousand bucks on a suit, it better fit right. A couple folks probably just rolled their eyes with a, "that's just Miami for you." But since it was my money and not theirs that I was spending, I was going to make sure I could reasonably test it out.

That having been said, drysuit diving is great and my only regret was having waited so long to try it out. But it is an expensive addition in an activity that already drains a bank account faster than an Indian phone scammer.

In the UK there's basically two ways of learning the basics.

A member's "club" such as BSAC tends to have a more community spirit and they'll do regular pool nights and training sessions run by the members. The training generally takes longer but there's more than just the training as you'll meet many other people who are going through their training. These clubs typically have their own RIB (large inflatable boat) and will do regular sea trips during the season. Clubs tend to have spare kit for new divers which can be lent/rented.

The other way of training is via a commercial operation such as PADI (other agencies are available). These are normaly through the "local dive shop" (LDS) who'll sell you the training course, rent the kit, service the kit, flog shiny shiny new kit (DON'T be tempted -- we all have here and ended up throwing money at inappropriate crap!). The LDS will probably organise diving trips and diving holidays. Some dive shops, primarily on the coast, will run their own boats.

Dive shops tend to run a "club" that may offer discounts and other benefits such as access to a pool night. These are often little more than a loyalty scheme (apologies for being cynical!). My LDS's club costs £90/year and gives free air and half price nitrox and also a pool night (they have a small 4m pool) with a bar. I used to save a small fortune with this deal, but nowadays with the rebreather it just about breaks even if that. The drawback with a LDS is it is a commercial operation. Courses are income just like kit sales. They often invent speciality courses for standard techniques -- putting up an SMB.

A member's club is run for the benefit of the members and should be focussed on actually diving. Often there's a weekly pool session -- vital for a beginner -- where instructors and other people are around. It may finish in a bar/pub for a drink.

The problem with member's clubs is they're frequently staid, run by a few tired old salts as membership dwindles and it seems more like a drinking club than a well run outfit.

You want to find an active members club. There should be a lot of members and a lot of activity. They should be doing regular trips to the coast; lots of training going on; lots of trainees and instructors. A pool night is essential as is a compressor and "Nitrox" (this is air with a bit of added oxygen). If possible, there should be lots going on and regular trips to the quarries such as Stoney Cove, Vobster, Capenwray, etc. Large clubs tend to have lots of loan kit available for trainees including drysuits. These clubs will also rent dive boats for a weekend for more interesting trips.

Cannot stress how important it is in the early days to have an active club helping drive you forwards. Once you have done your basic training, you must go diving. This means trips to quarries and easy sea diving with the club as you practice and gain experience.

Bottom lines:
  • Literally shop around for the right dive "club" for you. Bluntly, the bigger the better as they'll have more activity.
  • Don't just look at the first club you come across. A club must "feel" right: fun and lots of diving!
  • You absolutely must have access to pool nights.
  • You must have access to "mentors".
  • You must be able to go and dive once qualified, e.g. regular sea trips or quarries even.
  • Skills only develop in the water

(Where are you in relation to Stoney? north/south/east/west? Might be able to recommend some clubs)

If you are thinking of renting from Stoney. Probably worth giving them a call and explaining your situation with regards to training. See what they require to rent you a suit. It may require some kind words/paperwork from your instructor. It’s a long time since I rented a drysuit, and a time when drysuit qualifications either didn’t exist or weren’t required.
Second ^^. @Jfinch Ask them about hiring one for use in your club’s pool before you do the first Ocean Diver lesson in SC. For me, why will it be November? If you’re club hasn’t started your course yet, find another. The more progressive BSAC clubs are using the School Partnership Scheme (Members’ area) to fast track new members to Ocean Diver & Advanced Ocean Diver.

If you haven't already, you need to have a good discussion with your instructor. I don't know too many instructors that would take a diver with zero drysuit experience in open water without some orientation time in a pool or a very confined water area...that you are "a complete beginner", not yet certified, and have little to no experience on SCUBA, I would be extremely surprised if your instructor would be ok with you showing with a drysuit you have never used. I would also be scared of any instructor who is cool with it.

There is nothing wrong with doing OW certification training in a drysuit, but that includes pool time and the accompanying skills assessments in the pool using the drysuit along with a primer/instruction on drysuit use and safety before heading to do skills/checkout dives in open water.

-Z
It’s not unusual for U.K. students to have their first drysuit experience in open water. The BSAC syllabus is written that the first dive includes drysuit skills. Yes, it’s nice if students get the opportunity to try one in a pool, but it’s not essential.

I recently took a student for their first open water dive in their new drysuit (delivered two days earlier). I spent nearly an hour going over their configuration, including hose routing, and weighting before we got to 2m In horizontal trim.

In the UK there's basically two ways of learning the basics.

A member's "club" such as BSAC tends to have a more community spirit and they'll do regular pool nights and training sessions run by the members. The training generally takes longer but there's more than just the training as you'll meet many other people who are going through their training. These clubs typically have their own RIB (large inflatable boat) and will do regular sea trips during the season. Clubs tend to have spare kit for new divers which can be lent/rented.

The other way of training is via a commercial operation such as PADI (other agencies are available). These are normaly through the "local dive shop" (LDS) who'll sell you the training course, rent the kit, service the kit, flog shiny shiny new kit (DON'T be tempted -- we all have here and ended up throwing money at inappropriate crap!). The LDS will probably organise diving trips and diving holidays. Some dive shops, primarily on the coast, will run their own boats.

Dive shops tend to run a "club" that may offer discounts and other benefits such as access to a pool night. These are often little more than a loyalty scheme (apologies for being cynical!). My LDS's club costs £90/year and gives free air and half price nitrox and also a pool night (they have a small 4m pool) with a bar. I used to save a small fortune with this deal, but nowadays with the rebreather it just about breaks even if that. The drawback with a LDS is it is a commercial operation. Courses are income just like kit sales. They often invent speciality courses for standard techniques -- putting up an SMB.

A member's club is run for the benefit of the members and should be focussed on actually diving. Often there's a weekly pool session -- vital for a beginner -- where instructors and other people are around. It may finish in a bar/pub for a drink.

The problem with member's clubs is they're frequently staid, run by a few tired old salts as membership dwindles and it seems more like a drinking club than a well run outfit.

You want to find an active members club. There should be a lot of members and a lot of activity. They should be doing regular trips to the coast; lots of training going on; lots of trainees and instructors. A pool night is essential as is a compressor and "Nitrox" (this is air with a bit of added oxygen). If possible, there should be lots going on and regular trips to the quarries such as Stoney Cove, Vobster, Capenwray, etc. Large clubs tend to have lots of loan kit available for trainees including drysuits. These clubs will also rent dive boats for a weekend for more interesting trips.

Cannot stress how important it is in the early days to have an active club helping drive you forwards. Once you have done your basic training, you must go diving. This means trips to quarries and easy sea diving with the club as you practice and gain experience.

Bottom lines:
  • Literally shop around for the right dive "club" for you. Bluntly, the bigger the better as they'll have more activity.
  • Don't just look at the first club you come across. A club must "feel" right: fun and lots of diving!
  • You absolutely must have access to pool nights.
  • You must have access to "mentors".
  • You must be able to go and dive once qualified, e.g. regular sea trips or quarries even.
  • Skills only develop in the water

(Where are you in relation to Stoney? north/south/east/west? Might be able to recommend some clubs)
Second ^^. Ask them about hiring one for use in your club’s pool before you do the first Ocean Diver lesson in SC. For me, why will it be November? If you’re (@Jfinch) club hasn’t started your course yet, find another. The more progressive BSAC clubs are using the School Partnership Scheme (Members’ area) to fast track new members to Ocean Diver & Advanced Ocean Diver.
Thanks both, already part of a club at the moment, and they are VERY active (trips to the south/east coast nearly every weekend, weather permitting, since April time). We've got a lot of loan kit apart from drysuits, which at the moment is all I need lol. Currently 4 OD trainees at the moment as well as a couple SD and one DL I believe, so pretty active I think...

About to finish up my final pool session tomorrow and will probably be at Stoney late sept, the only issue I have is finding somewhere to rent a drysuit for pool use before going into open water. Looking more likely that I will just have to buy one, and probably resell/replace it soon after I've finished. Also @Edward3c , I am in no rush really to get qualified - i think November was a bit of a stretch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom