What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it seemed like a good idea at the time. A fully integrated computer with most features needed including nitrox. A bit difficult set up at first, and the manual was not great ... but certainly adequate.

Within one year - the battery compartment leaked, and it was downhill from there. Each time that I have dived in the past year - I go through the cycle - check battery compartment o ring - seal and lock. With a new battery, replace the O ring. Once the compartment leaks, I have to have it cleaned out and a new o ring installed. Then, it leaks again. When I sent back to Dacor/Mares, it was returned with a new o ring, still a corroded battery compartment that leaked under pressure at the dive shop. I am no 'DiverWithoutComputer", and Dacor was very irresponsible sending it back to me in the same condition.

Would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem and how they were able to get Dacor/Mares to stand up and take care of their defective design on this product.

Cheers,,,and happy diving.

Yes, it seemed like a good idea at the time. A fully integrated computer with most features needed including nitrox. A bit difficult set up at first, and the manual was not great ... but certainly adequate.

Within one year - the battery compartment leaked, and it was downhill from there. Each time that I have dived in the past year - I go through the cycle - check battery compartment o ring - seal and lock. With a new battery, replace the O ring. Once the compartment leaks, I have to have it cleaned out and a new o ring installed. Then, it leaks again. When I sent back to Dacor/Mares, it was returned with a new o ring, still a corroded battery compartment that leaked under pressure at the dive shop. I am no 'DiverWithoutComputer", and Dacor was very irresponsible sending it back to me in the same condition.

Would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem and how they were able to get Dacor/Mares to stand up and take care of their defective design on this product.

Cheers,,,and happy diving.

I have this computer. No problems with leakage, KOW!
Mine just reads air pressure slightly low. Not an issue.

So what gear-buying decisions did other people make that they regretted later?

Tanks. I've found tank rental to be only marginally more expensive than tank fills. Also, when I was actively diving I was first an assistant instructor (could always get tanks for free) and later a university research diver (could also get free tanks).

WOW, I actually read through the 56 pages of this thread! I guess the time would have been better spent reading the DM manual for my course which starts in a week, but oh well :(

My main regret is my snorkel. I'm not against snorkels, as I have found most people are because I use mine quite a bit while waiting on the surface for other divers to enter the water. If it were up to me, and on the occasions that it is; I take a giant stride into the water and start dumping my air as soon as I hit. I then surface right under the ladder so I don't have to spend any time at all floating on the surface. So back to my point, I regret my snorkel cause it is one of those big Mares ones with the 360 degree rotation attachment for the mask. It just ends up spinning around underwater and the damn thing is too big to store in my BC pocket!

Other than that everything is fine. I have a console computer (Suunto Cobra) and I think I prefer knowing that is is attached to me with no risk of slipping off and being claimed by the ocean as has happened with a lot of other divers.

My father on the other hand has enough regrets to put together a second kit including a shortie wetsuit and split fins that weigh probably more than all my dive gear combined.

P.S. Great thread. Waaaaaaaaaay too long though :wink:

Thanks for all the great info in this loooooonnnnngggggg thread. My regrets are:

*Snorkle, I actually like using mine on the surface, especially if there are any waves present. I just wish I had got the cheapest most flexible one made that'd stow out of the way in a pocket, not the "dry" one for $40.

*Mask, high volume with side windows for increased peripheral vision. Great forward vision, poor up or down vision, couldn't see my feet or any gear. Got a low volume to replace it. Now I can see my chest and I only lost about 3-4 degrees side visibility.

*Big @ss Knife, all I need to go with it is long wavy hair, GI fatigues, and a small town sheriff to draw first blood... at least it's titanium.

*Tank banger, great idea, pain to change with each tank. Easier to use something else.

*UK light set, works fine - just would have prefered the brighter eled set.

*Snorkeling gear bag, works great - my exroomates ex girfriend still uses it to take up closet space.

*Misc bs clip-on gear keepers.

*I don't regret buying a BC, but I am starting to think a BP/W might have been a better choice. More options with it.

For people with the wrist slate troubles try pushing it up past your elbow and wearing over your upper arm. Mine has never slid down on its own since I put it there. When I need it I just slide it down to my forearm and replace when done.

Jack

I purchased a pre made reg necklace for $12. I have used it twice and didn't like how low it hung and my octo came out to easy. So I made my own out of $.50 worth of bungi cord. hind-site is 20/20

Aladin sport console
Smart Z
Smart Com
Semi-dry X 2
OMS - some kind of tech harness garbage with plate
Zeagle aluminum plate
zeagle steel plate
ebay steel plate
dive rite aluminum plate
OMS steel plate
Luxfer neutral 80
catalina 80 X 2
Zeagle Ranger LTD X 2
tank banger X 2
underwater titanium leg sword
underwater titanium bc sword
Dacor fins
Atomic Z1
tank strobe
two sets of 7.25 in bands
Dive rite pockets X 4
Snorkel X 2
Sunlight C8 light
Some kind if Ike light for backup, not sure what it was
Some other kind of UK backup light that was halogyn
Dive Rite delux harness
6" inflator hose
Dive rite "cavern reel" X2
suicide clips X several
18 watt sartek - regret the better canister type
21 watt salvo - as soon as i bought it 35 hit the market
Underwater notepads of varios make and model X lots - halcyon is the best
DUI 50/50 - shoulda got TLS 350
UK light cannon
Mask with purge
mask with "wide angle viewing" side windows

and tons of other stuff I can't remember, I'm on my 6th dive computer and 6th dive light.

Aladin sport console

Zeagle aluminum plate
zeagle steel plate
dive rite aluminum plate
OMS steel plate

Atomic Z1

18 watt sartek - regret the better canister type

DUI 50/50 - shoulda got TLS 350

May I ask why, one by one?

May I ask why, one by one?

Dont' remember the exact order I purchased stuff but here it is

Aladin Sport Console - new diver following any advice he could get, wrong tool, console and air only, wet contact buttons to navigate - dont' like those, didn't know any better.

Zeagle Aluminum plate - turned out I needed steel for weight

Zeagle Steel plate - shape of the plate dug into my back

Dive Rite Aluminum plate - needed steel

OMS steel plate - nice plate, just was new and OMS likes their gear too much, it was a waste of money because I could get plates that were just as good a lot cheaper

Atomic Z1 - didn't hold up to the abuse I gave it, it was the wrong tool for the job needed sealed diaphram regs, atomic is good reg, just not for me I regret the money I plunked down

18 watt sartek - again following any advice I could get, the mounting of the canister sucked, I've since switched to DIR method

DUI 50/50 I HATE the crushed material, it GRABS at my undergarments when I put it on - to this day I cuss the suit every time I put it on - and takes FOREVER to dry out.

Was a lot of the equipment BAD equipment? no, Zeagle BC's are awsome, was it what I needed to have purchased? no, I regret the thousands I"ve burned in gear that I did not need or did not want.

I'm not DIR, but when I got my hands on the DIR III video it opened up a new world to me and set me on the path I needed to be on for the right tools for the job - again note I am NOT DIR

Back
Top Bottom