What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is terrible that they took such advantage of you and they should certainly never get your buisness again. It is also only 1100 dollars, hardly a life changing amount of money, get over it and move on. The Conshelf regulator is probably salavageable by an honest repair shop and it is not BACKWARDS, you put it on upside down or something.

Don't get a Mares anything.

J Valves are still avaialble and are used in certain types of rescue and commercial diving and can be had through Marvel.

You often get what yoiu pay for and sometimes a bit less, next time purchase NEW diving equipment, AquaLung or ScubaPro or such as that.

Here is what ya do:

Get you an AquaLung Legend or similar Apecks or ScubaPro regulator and matched octapus

Get a mid range back inflate BC ( I would prefer a BP/wing but I suspect you do not--I am a poodle jacket free zone) that is not overly fancy or has a dozen D rings, just something that looks simple, fuctional and durable and make sure it holds air.

Get some ScubaPro Jet Fins and a mask that fits.

Hey--large knives are cool---who told you that!.

Order a DiveRite or similar brass and glass spg and get a snap to clip it off

Get a cheap Aeries computer or such as that from ScubaToys and your in business.

Now, really, how hard can that be--oh--ship the Conshelf to me and the J valve, junk the tank to a recycle faciility and the leaking BC in the landfill.

There you go, problem solved for you by ol'Nemrod

N

Nemrod:
Don't get a Mares anything.

Here is what ya do:

Get you an AquaLung Legend or similar Apecks or ScubaPro regulator and matched octapus
Don't buy Mares anything. Say WHAT :confused:

I agree with SP AL and Apecks but Mares makes good stuff too.

Sometimes I regret the money I put in my '68 Camaro as I could have gone on more dive trips. Sometimes I don't regret it.

TSandM:
So what gear-buying decisions did other people make that they regretted later?

I bought a wetsuit from my LDS here in Victoria BC that had been a rental for who knows how long and was paper-thin. On the one hand it was cheap and I was a student with no money so I was able to get into diving. Guess what though - I did not dive very much because I got so cold. When I finally got the drysuit I realized what I had been missing and I started diving so much more.

Other regret - thin plastic slate. Not useful and snapped in half. Now I have one of those "etch-a-sketch-style" slates - much better.

Third regret - the first regulator I bought was from a manufacturer (no names but they start with a 'D' and were bought by 'M') that changed their design and discarded the old molds so that replacement parts were no longer available. Last year I opted for the manufacturer's wholesale upgrade - buy the new model for little/no markup. It's still a crappy reg. My new Titan LX Supreme is such a vast improvement - I am much happier.

The problem with Mares is as a long time, once upon a time Mares consumer--you cannot get parts and service. I am sorry if others find different, that has been my experience with them, no parts, long wait times for parts, poor service. Others opinions may vary--that is mine--once burned shame on you, twice burned shame on me, three times--lol--no way.

N

:rofl3: yep a diamond ring for my soon to be EX WIFE!!!!!

Wish I hadn't spent money on:
  • Jacket style BCD,
  • incandescent primary light (eLED was ok, but love HID),
  • slates ,
  • large-ish knife [use wetnotes],
  • Pelican 1650 [too heavy to travel with now],
  • 1mm and 3mm wetsuit for warm water [I comfortable dive a SeaQuest 3-5-3 in water up to 84f]
  • SeaQuest 6.5-5-4 wetsuit for cold water [it was my first suit and I thought it was a 7mm] now I dive dry or an Excel 9-7-6
  • Insertable diopters for mask [kept falling out]
  • Alum 80s [love my X7-100 steel tank]

I sent my regs off to Phil at divesports to get checked out.

Thanks for all the suggestions, If they are too far gone I think I will try to pick up an Apeks setup when I can afford it.

Cheers, sorry for hyjacking the thread.

Brandon.

Oh, I regret the diamond ring thing too. Anyone want to buy it, I have an appraisal to go with. HA.

First pair of fins. Didn't fit right and annoyed me on every dive. It was not a particularly sad day when they disappeared from my hotel room on vacation.

First wetsuit. I bought it last minute for a dive trip and it wasn't nearly warm enough, not to mention I lost a bunch of weight, so then it didn't fit anymore after less then 10 dives.

Non hyperstretch hood. I have hood envy when my buddies can just pull theirs down when we're done with a dive. I have to gear down completely and delicately separate it from my hair which it has tightly grabbed onto unless I want to be bald by the end of summer.

The aqualung BCD integrated safety sausage. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but it makes my BCD pretty bulky to pack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom