What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you say I have already long accepted this as a "learning experience." I just thought that since I am in the market for new equipment that maybe the store would be interested in my business. As such I couldn't see myself buying anything from them with the situation as it sat so I offered them a chance to make amens before purchasing from another store.

I think you are preaching to the chior.

Peace,
Brandon.

Well let's see here......

What did I buy that I regret???????????

Oh, yeah! It was that damned wedding ring!!:D

A retractor.

N

My Dacor Metal Viper regulator. When I started diving I did not like the bubbles blowing in my face. Now they blow in my ear. When I can afford it I will get something else.

peterbkk:
I reckon there has to be a "statute of limitations" on a suspect transaction. After 7 years, I suggest that you call it a "learning experience" and move on... :)

It is quite likely that, even if that LDS is still in business (unlikely if they treated other customers like they treated you), they have probably changed ownership or at least lifted their game.

Regards
Peter

That is what I call "stupid tax".

GTRio:
Hi, this is Brandon from Vancouver BC. I'm new here and an just getting back into diving since 2000ish when I did my advanced. I recently dove in Key Largo and think I'm hooked again.

After doing my open water in 97 I was sold on a used diving gear package from a LDS that consisted of an ill fitting wet suit, 1970s Al tank with a J valve, a chlorine bleached ex-rental Oceanic BDC and a Aqualung Conshelf 14 reg set up. All this for the bargain price of $1100.

First time out both the regs free flowed like mad and the BCD leaked from the seams and the shoulder vent. After returning to the store I quickly found out that my gear was nonrefundable, even only after a week. Little surprise that I could get a store credit but that was the only used gear they had and the next thing up was more than double what I paid.

They re-serviced my regs and told me the BCD leaks were minor enough to dive with still. The next time out both regs still free flowed like mad. This is 2 dives lost to this equipment now, and the store tells me the regs are "unserviceable." I started to wonder if this set of equipment might be solely for getting unsuspecting victims to buy into the store; meaning its never meant to work, just to get someone locked into a store credit where they have to spend double to get something that works. I wonder how many other owners this equipment had :confused:

I couldn’t dive with my equipment and I couldn’t bring myself to rent since I just dropped all this cash on my own stuff so I ended up not diving again for 7 years.

On the bright side though, maybe I can sell off my stuff on ebay for about $37.

I also recall buying some non HID lights that I was never happy with and I just recently found out that giant Rambo knives aren't cool anymore.

I just bought a Cressi BCD for a great price and am looking at buying a Mares Proton reg/octo set up. Anyone thing these are the next things I will regret? Maybe thats a different thread, lol.

B
Brandon;
If this were more recent, I would have you go to the Attourney Generals office. they took major advantage of you, and your naivite'. did you ever do business with them again?

No, I never went back.

There was one other fishy thing that I never understood. The high pressure port on the first stage was on the wrong side so I had to have my gages on the right and octo on the left. Also the hose on my primary second stage was too short so I couldn't turn my head to the left. They told me to just mount the tank higher on the BC to get some extra length, but then I'd hit my head on the first stage.

I swear, this whole deal was crooked as they come and I had already put the money down based on the 'You need your own equipment if you're gonna get serious about diving' sales pitch before I got into the water to find out all the stuff was junk. He actually told me the J valve on the tank was an "important safety feature."

GTRio:
He actually told me the J valve on the tank was an "important safety feature."

It's astounding that, 7 years ago, someone was selling tanks with J valves. It must have been very old. I wonder when the last ones were made.

Actually, even in the days before SPGs, J valves were more of a safety hazard than a safety feature. The original idea was that you dived until your reg would deliver no more air, then you reached behind you and pulled down the J Valve to use the last few hundred PSI to surface. But, the J Valve could be easily knocked down during the dive or the diver simply forgot to set it in the "up" position. Then the "last breath" really was the last breath of air in the tank. Killed quite a few divers in the early days...

Surely this LDS can not still be in business...

Regards
Peter

Yikes!

The first hydro on the tank was 1971. But I only paid $200 for it so its all good. Its hard to know better when you don't.

The store used to have 3 locations and now they only have one; and its like walking into a clothing store, lol.

Back
Top Bottom