What did I just buy? UGH!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has your "new" film camera arrived? Just wondering what you think of it.

If you do decide to keep and use it, please, please, please clean, inspect and lube the oring before every outing. Use a Q-tip dipped in alchohol to clean the o-ring channels. These are the places that will kill a camera if you don't watch them very closely.

Maybe I will try it out. Any user tips? Film type?

Ill have a look at the manual too.
Shoot close to your subject. 3 feet or less.
try it out with an inexpensive film 100 ASA, then when your comfortable with it use Fuji Slide film I like 64 ASA for bright clear water.

Like others have said. remove and clean the O rings, then apply a thin film of silicone O ring grease (sea & sea yellow tube with blue cap).

Oh yeah, don't forget the battery's, the camera doesn't have an on off switch, so to prevent running the batteries dead when your not using them, remove them from the camera.

So, RJP, I take it you knew what TTL stands for ever since you were born, huh? Please keep in mind that this is a forum for people to have their questions answered and not so much for folks to show off how much of a smart ass they are. :wink:

C'mon, you gotta admit that someone buying something and THEN asking what it is...is funny. (eg: smart ass or not, when I didn't know what TTL meant, I would not have bought something described thusly.)

So, the camera arrived today. It seems to be in very good/clean condition. I have put it all together and must say that its a handsome "rig" with what seems to be many shooting options. As you would expect I have a slew of questions. So, if there are any users of this rig please feel free to share some advice!

I plan to use this on Sunday for a trial. If I like the results Ill probably keep it as my first UW camera.

How do you use yours? What are your most often used techniques/settings/lens?

There is simply too much info to try to teach you everything about the camera.

Feel free to ask whatever questions about it comes to your mind. I have been been using this same model and extras for years, and I have the book on how to get the most out of it..

MOst used techniques? Decide before the dive how you want to shoot (standard, macro, WA) and set-up the camera first. I shoot 400 speed film only. I've never found water clear enough to use anything slower. EVen carribean waters will give an almost black background to 100 speed film if you have a lot of water behind the subject. Get close, get low, shoot up. Set your strobe wide to reduce backscatter, always use your strobe.

The HUGE drawback to this camera is the film. You only get a few shots and them you are done. It's also a PITA to change over from macro to WA settings and back while underwater. I was interested inbuying yours if you didn't want it so that I could dive with 2. One set for macro (and the only time I would use a slower film), one set for wide.

I understand that I may have stepped in too deep with photography, but thats what I do with things from time to time. I know a lot more concerning operating the camera and what everything does. My thing is that I am going to try and shoot a whole roll of film with various settings in one dive. If Im gonna sell it I want to reduce the chances of anything breaking.

I guess my only concerns are with the settings. Im a fully auto kind of guy. When you living in this world everything is done for you and you accept what you get. Now, Im having to actually learn a bit about photography. I guess there isnt a "default" or "general use" setting.

One more question:

I understand macro and WA shooting. What is no lens is attached to this camera. Is that like shooting "normal"? I would imagine so. Maybe Ill find examples online of pictures people have taken with this camera and its different lenses.

Yes, shooting without one of the optional lenses is shooting it normal. What you have to watch out for with the lenses is how it changes the f-stop, and focal lengths. You really need to practice a lot. Shooting in macro makes the view-finder almost useless. MAke sure you use the bracketing arm on those.

I'm no master of UW photos, but here are a few of mine: fire diver's Images - Scuba Toys Photo Gallery @ http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery

I used to have them loaded here, but they disappeared somewhere over the last couple years. Ignore the ones labeled as pull from my video. The films ones have much better color and detail. Again, not great, but it gives you an idea of what it can do, and some of it's limitations. These shots were from my very first time out with the camera. I got to go find my last ones I took. They are filed away somewhere.

Don't need much more than the basics. The lenses should have the new values printed on them.

This shot was taken with the same camera you bought. no add on lenses, and with strobe.
If memory serves I used 200 ASA film. I tend to stay away from the faster films due to the grain inherent in fast film. You can do well with slower ASA film if your close and remember to use the strobe.

and

Back
Top Bottom