Question What to look for or what to ask when buying used Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thesaltyfins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All
A pair of used Sea and Sea YS D2 strobes have been listed for selling thru a dive shop site in my city (Mumbai, India).

Since i am very much new to UW photography, would like to know from you guys what to look for or what are the questions that should be asked apart from standard ''how many dives old". My current gear is Olympus TG-6 and Wet wide angle lens.

Here are some details that the seller has listed:
1. Reason for selling: Lack of use and likely to upgrade in future
2. Fibre optic cables not included. To be bought separately.
3. Excellent condition.

Price listed : ~550$ for both. Open for negotiation. Since this model has been discontinued, will it be a sensible investment?

Thanks.

Find out not how many dives, but how many times have they been fired. If they won't say, then take the number of dives and multiply by 100. Look inside to see if they had been flooded, look for corrosion or miscoloring of the electrodes at the bottom.

Ask if they are the D2 from China or the D2J from Japan. They should be labeled as such. Take some batteries to the store and see if they power up and take a TV remote and shine it on the window where the fiber cord goes. If it fires, good and see how long it takes to recharge after say a 3/4 full flash. $550 US for 2 is a pretty good price.
Bill

You need to find the articles describing the problems with this specific model. Make sure that you aren't getting the batch that had issues.
@BoltSnap
Thanks a lot for responding. Will try to find some information on D2 and also when were these particular ones purchased.

@bvanant
As per the photos posted, its D2 and not D2J. As for the number of times fired, will be difficult to get a count, but the dive store said its been used for ~50 dives, so going with what you said, firing will be around 5000 times.
Regarding other checks, will have to see if the seller is willing to handover prior purchase.
Thanks for yr suggestions.

As per other comments above, double check the connections and make sure they work before parting with your hard earned cash.

The YS-D2 is no longer made and spare parts are hard to come by according to my friend who runs the Sea&Sea shop in Singapore, who is now unable to repair both the D2 and the D2J.

As per other comments above, double check the connections and make sure they work before parting with your hard earned cash.

The YS-D2 is no longer made and spare parts are hard to come by according to my friend who runs the Sea&Sea shop in Singapore, who is now unable to repair both the D2 and the D2J.
@Searcaigh
That's a very valuable information/advice and well in time.
Thanks

Based on the above information, skip it and avoid the loss.
Yeah, better to pass it.

After your initial reply, went through some forums including scubaboard and found many users having issues with D2 strobes very quickly after purchase. Few of them got lucky with replacement etc. But i would not want to play this gamble.

Thanks again

Btw, while going through the reviews/experiences of Sea and Sea YS- D2 strobes, found that Inon S2000 was a better alternative to YS- D2 with Tg-6. But now even Inon S2000 has been discontinued as mentioned on Backscatter site.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom