Question What to look for or what to ask when buying used Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@thesaltyfins

What type of photography are you planning to do?

If you are leaning towards macro, you may consider the BackScatter MiniStrobes.

Inon have a new version of the S2000; it it quite nice as is the AOI.
Bill

@thesaltyfins

What type of photography are you planning to do?

If you are leaning towards macro, you may consider the BackScatter MiniStrobes.
@Searcaigh
For sure i am more inclined towards macro stuff, but once in a while do like to do schooling stuff like mantas , sharks etc since i have a wide angle wet lens.
As i have mentioned in my introductory posts, we do no have distributors for lights /strobes, nor a large/active used gear forum so whatever purchases are to made, need to be well informed. IMO.

Thanks

D2 is GN32, where as the S2000 is GN20. The inon's are quite a bit less powerful. Whether that matters on a TG6 sensor size, I do not know.

IMO, if you want to shoot WA, you need more powerful strobes. Either Inon Z330's, S&S D2j's, Retras, etc.

I shoot with a pair of older S&S YS110a's, but they sometimes lack for power on my APS-C system when shooting wide.

As i am new to all this strobe abbrevations, UW photography using external lights in general , it will take some time to learn and then see what fits the bill.
Btw all the future purchases as and when in this regard will be towards general photography.

@Lewis88
Thanks for stopping buy and giving that small insight comparing two strobes.

Here are some recent shots of my #2 YS-D2 in action:

IMG_5305.jpeg

IMG_5306.jpeg

When it needs a little bit more oomph, I put some dead batteries in to make sure the papers stay put or the door stays open.

#1 never made it back from service, but #3 is a J model that is somehow still firing up. I paired it with a new Retra so it knows there’s competition when it starts feeling like a quitter too.

Lance

Hello again
Once again there are some used strobes up for sale. This time its Inon D200.

Although the sale post mentions that the diver intends to sell his entire UW camera kit along with many other stuff, there is no mention that he would not sell items separately, so if Inon D200 is a worthy strobe (though discontinued), should i go ahead and ask for the price separately?

Used for 6 dive trips- so going as per @bvanant suggestion, it would be 600 times fired.

Looks like purchased in 2018-2019.

Condition mentioned: excellent.
So any suggestions / advice on the above would be helpful

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom