What classes are most prevalent for AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdharbis1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am taking my Advanced Open Water course next month :D and the three classes that are required are:

Deep, Navigation, and Peak Performance

I will need two more. There is a a small list to choose from and I would like to know from those who have been there, what classes are the most beneficial down the road. I will not be on a boat so that is obviously not available at this location; Wreck dive probably will not be a choice for the same reason.

Altitude, Drift, Multilevel, Naturalist, Fish ID, Photographer, Propulsion,
Night, Search/Rescue, Videographer, Wreck, and Boat

Thanks....

I am taking my Advanced Open Water course next month :D and the three classes that are required are:

Thanks....

I'm surprised Night wasn't one of the required ones (and am surprised that Peak Performance Buoancy is). Also you mention Boat and Wreck are not an option and then include them in the list... which is it?

Anyways, definitely take Night Diving -- it will get you more comfortable with not panicking when you can't see crap due to silt or night diving...

The other one? From that list, none really seem THAT useful. DPV is fun (propulsion). Just see what they've got going during the time you want to dive
and do that...

Required by PADI Standards are Deep generally get them to do PPB and then because of the area I'm in Wreck. Then depending on their preference either Night or Search.

PADI requires Deep and Nav.

I try to get everybody to do PPB, night, and Nitrox. Most of our students are learning because they're going on a trip and want to dive. Those are the specialties that I think are most applicable.

PADI requires Deep and Nav.

I try to get everybody to do PPB, night, and Nitrox. Most of our students are learning because they're going on a trip and want to dive. Those are the specialties that I think are most applicable.

No H2O skills for Nitrox so I recomend that as a Specialty class so they can get the full course and get it on their own.

Since we don’t know your interests it’s hard to say. As stated before deep and nav are required by the agency. PPB could be 'required' or suggested by the LDS which is not a bad idea if done properly. I always suggest deep, nav, ppb, night and S&R or photo or video in place of S&R to my students. Sometimes it's location and season that determines what can be taught.

No H2O skills for Nitrox so I recomend that as a Specialty class so they can get the full course and get it on their own.

Can you still use nitrox specialty toward AOW even without the dives?

Can you still use nitrox specialty toward AOW even without the dives?

Well I just checked the Instructors manual and it is listed as an adventure dive, so you could use it toward AOW. But you would not be certified to dive Nitrox on your own after that. Also it must be done under direct supervision by a certified EANx Instructor, not just OWSI.
Personally I would not recomend doing it for AOW as I said do the specialty so that you are certified and get something more out of your AOW class.

Well I just checked the Instructors manual and it is listed as an adventure dive, so you could use it toward AOW. But you would not be certified to dive Nitrox on your own after that. Also it must be done under direct supervision by a certified EANx Instructor, not just OWSI.
Personally I would not recomend doing it for AOW as I said do the specialty so that you are certified and get something more out of your AOW class.
I (thought I) finished my AOW this weekend, but completed the specialty course for enriched air as one of the 5. (we did the entire specialty - and yes I definately agree with you - I would not have understood it with just limited info). We did not, however, do an enriched air dive since a dive is no longer required (we are doing it eventually, but just didnt this weekend). I just want to make sure I still qualify for my AOW without an actual dive on enriched air. the other dives I did were peak performance boyancy (completed the specialty), night, navigation, and deep.

I will need two more. There is a a small list to choose from and I would like to know from those who have been there, what classes are the most beneficial down the road. I will not be on a boat so that is obviously not available at this location; Wreck dive probably will not be a choice for the same reason.

Thanks....

Besides Deep & Nav, the thing you will need the most is Night Diving.

After that I would say Gear Maintenance (if that is offered / SSI offers it).

If you then plan on photography, that would then be next.

If you plan to dive modern "artificial" wrecks (sunk on purpose and cleaned up in advance), then Shipwrecks.

"Peak Performance" sounds like your instructor is cleaning up what he/she should have taught you in Basic Open Water 1.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom