What can I learn from PADI Tec 40 course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have about 10 different spec and a PADI Master Diver. Looking to learn more about Deco and Dbl's. Not looking to get deep into Tech but just some simple basics. Is the the right course for me?

I don't like delaying the introduction of Trimix or two deco gas mixes (50% & 100% Oxygen) until PADI Tec50 (50m/166'): there are very real issues of Deep Air narcosis & inefficient slow tissue off-gassing resulting in type one DCS despite a seemingly normal "textbook" deco profile on Eanx50 only (i.e. excluding an additional 100% Oxygen deco stop for further more efficient slow tissue off-gassing). If you're still interested in taking this graduated approach to the depth ranges of 40 to 50m on Deep Air, go take it in clear warm tropical waters where it is easier to "acclimate" to Deep Air narcosis.

Recommend Techasia Philippines
PADI TecRec Courses | Tech Asia

But I would also reccommend their IANTD Recreational Trimix Course & GUE Fundamentals/Tech Courses as a starting base too:
Technical Diving | Puerto Galera | Philippines | Tech Asia
Diver Training Courses | Tech Asia

I agree--IANTD Rec Trimix seems like a better way to go.

Devon:

Thanks for writing & posting that article; it's a subject I've been looking into lately trying to find the answers to.

Richard.

I am an advocate of helium, early and often. TDI triox+AN/DP will set you up nicely to do techreational and tech down to 50M. It will allow you the knowledge to fully enjoy the sights without that pesky NDL hanging around your kneck like a albatross.
Eric

Pari tec40 is NOT supposed to be "let's dive all the time at exactly 40 meters totally narced all the time"

It is an introduction and transition course from vertical jacket bcd resort diver to a diver who would be ready to continue to technical diving.

The naming is stupid, it should be essentials or padi fundamentals or padi technology basics or something like that. I know that guepeople etc shout out loud that they want trimix below 30. Diving air to 40 is not recommended but is "allowed" after this.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

Since no one else has mentioned it :wink: -- there are other courses and agencies that might give you what you want. Here are a few suggestions:

a. Find a PADI instructor who is authorized to teach the "TecReational Diver" Distinctive Specialty (I think there are 3 so far!) and then take the course. It won't teach you about doubles (unless you want it) but it will help strengthen your skills to prepare you for the next level

b. Find a GUE instructor and take Fundamentals of Diving

c. Find a UTD instructor and take Essentials of Diving

d. Find a GUE/UTD/Cave trained tech instructor and take Intro to Tech

e. Since you live in Georgia (if I'm reading the info correctly) maybe go to N. Florida and take a Cavern course

It is my experience (and belief) that the jump from a solid "recreational" diver to the "technical" level is one that is quite high (or at least it should be). Most "recreational" divers need to have their foundational skills buffed up (or installed) and the courses identified above do that.

YMMV

Since no one else has mentioned it :wink: -- there are other courses and agencies that might give you what you want. Here are a few suggestions:

a. Find a PADI instructor who is authorized to teach the "TecReational Diver" Distinctive Specialty (I think there are 3 so far!) and then take the course. It won't teach you about doubles (unless you want it) but it will help strengthen your skills to prepare you for the next level

b. Find a GUE instructor and take Fundamentals of Diving

c. Find a UTD instructor and take Essentials of Diving

d. Find a GUE/UTD/Cave trained tech instructor and take Intro to Tech

e. Since you live in Georgia (if I'm reading the info correctly) maybe go to N. Florida and take a Cavern course

It is my experience (and belief) that the jump from a solid "recreational" diver to the "technical" level is one that is quite high (or at least it should be). Most "recreational" divers need to have their foundational skills buffed up (or installed) and the courses identified above do that.

YMMV

The tec40 is also supposed to fill this same void. However most of the instructors are bad :) . Some of the instructors teaching the courses above are as well but the odds for finding a good one might be quite a lot higher.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom