What can I learn from PADI Tec 40 course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion."

I think that's the crux of the helium/END30m issue. One approach is to mandate a very shallow END for all occasions. Another approach is to accept wider parameters for the use of air (the old, respected, definition of 'Deep Air' beyond 55m, based on PPO2, not narcosis)... and to incorporate narcosis planning as a personal/team issue on a dive-by-dive basis, as dictated by need.

For the average 'adv rec'/'tecreational' diver, normoxic trimix wouldn't often be needed. (Need versus want...an important distinction). Hence, it'd be wasted money and contribute to grossly inflated dive costs.

It (normoxic trimix) is undoubtedly a useful tool to possess, but it's a supplement - not a core, at this very novice level of tech diving.

Adding that capability demands one of two options: doing a supplementary course (a specific 'rec trimix' course) or doing a greatly extended core course (i.e. GUE/UTD). If a beginner is looking for a relatively cheap, economical way to improve safety and skill at this adv-rec/entry-tech level (like a 2/3 day - 4 dive Tec40 course) it's a bit disingenuous to suggest a much longer, more expensive course. It's also very far from a fair and equal comparison of like-for-like...

"When men are full of envy they disparage everything, whether it be good or bad."

"Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind."

I have no idea where you think ''envy" comes into the discussion?!? I do probably 10x the technical diving you manage to achieve, and have done so for a much longer time. What am I missing?

Perhaps it's a cultural thing... I'm British... I don't take pride in having the flashiest stuff, or using the most costly gases. I take pride in achieving good value for money and I value good training and frequency of diving as a primary determination of 'a good diver' over what brand labels they choose to wear (and Trimix is definitely a 'designer brand label' for some....).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom