What can I learn from PADI Tec 40 course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way too much chest thumping / agency evangelizing / elitism evident here for anyone to would want to do the Tec 40 course to get a clear answer to the original question:

I have about 10 different spec and a PADI Master Diver. Looking to learn more about Deco and Dbl's. Not looking to get deep into Tech but just some simple basics. Is the the right course for me?

Just an opinion, YMMV.

Way too much chest thumping / agency evangelizing / elitism evident here for anyone to would want to do the Tec 40 course to get a clear answer to the original question:

Just an opinion, YMMV.

Totally agree, which is why I stated that this has now gone so far off topic. For someone looking for basic introduction to tec, the Tec 40 course is ideal.

Ok, didn't get an answer to how many dives, so had a quick look and it seems that for AN/DP (6 dives if done together, 8 dives if done as separate courses), Ex Range (could only find 100 minutes bottom time required over 4 days so guessing 3 dives), entry level normoxic (again, no number of dives stated nor any bottom time details, so will hazard a guess at 4 dives). That could amount to at least 15 dives, qualifying a diver to 60m using normoxic Tmx and up to 100% deco gas with no time limit stated on the deco.

Hmmm, let's see, what does TecRec progression look like..................what do you know, after 16 dives, a diver is qualified to 65m, using normoxic Tmx (presuming we agree 18% is normoxic), up to 100% deco gas with no time limit stated on the deco. Not to mention that a Tmx add-on is available at the Tec 50 stage.

Wow, remarkable.

Found info here, so if it is incorrect, blame TDI, not me. TDI basic and advanced nitrox, decompression procedures, entry level and advanced trimix courses with instructor Mark Powell

It would also help if you compared apples to apples. What is a person, following your suggested route, qualified to, after the same number of dives as the Tec 40 (4 dives)?
Close. TDI AN/DECO is 6 dives, Ext Range is 4 dives (not 3), Normoxic (18%+) Tmx is 4...so the total is 14-16, depending on the sequencing. Adv Tmx is another 4 dives. Note that Ext Range is not needed to get into Tmx.....so you can train/cert to 60m Tmx with 10 dives. These are stated *minimums* so you and/or your instructor might decide on more dives than these minimums.

Close. TDI AN/DECO is 6 dives, Ext Range is 4 dives (not 3), Normoxic (18%+) Tmx is 4...so the total is 14-16, depending on the sequencing. Adv Tmx is another 4 dives. Note that Ext Range is not needed to get into Tmx.....so you can train/cert to 60m Tmx with 10 dives. These are stated *minimums* so you and/or your instructor might decide on more dives than these minimums.

I don't have the TDI inst manuals in front of me to reference right now... but I'm sure they (and every agency?) also have a minimum dive experience prerequisite between levels?

You can't become a 60m Trimix diver with 10 dives... those are just the training dives. The prerequisite experience/logged dives requirement is just as important a consideration.

I don't have the TDI inst manuals in front of me to reference right now... but I'm sure they (and every agency?) also have a minimum dive experience prerequisite between levels?

You can't become a 60m Trimix diver with 10 dives... those are just the training dives. The prerequisite experience/logged dives requirement is just as important a consideration.
Yes, of course, good point to clarify. The prereq for TDI normoxic trimix is 100 logged dives. For Adv trimix and Extended Range it is 100 logged dives of which 25 need to be deeper than 30m.

Well I signed up to do the Padi Tec 40. Want to get my feet wet with that and will look towards Advanced Nitrox after that. For now this is what I feel comfortable with and will see where it leads. Thanks for everyones comments.

Well I signed up to do the Padi Tec 40. Want to get my feet wet with that and will look towards Advanced Nitrox after that. For now this is what I feel comfortable with and will see where it leads. Thanks for everyones comments.
Very Good! Learn things & have fun . . .and be advised that it gets a lot more expensive as you start getting into the tech realm.

Also recommend this book:
Deco for Divers: Decompression Theory and Physiology: Mark Powell: 9781905492077: Amazon.com: Books

Gets more expensive? Now that is an understatement :D

+1 on Deco for Divers

I really don't think that tech 'has' to be that expensive. Diving within the 30-50m range, assuming trimix is not needed, can be quite affordable. For sure, it's a little more expensive than recreational diving, but you don't HAVE to speed a small fortune on it. That's just an option for people with money to burn or an unquestioning desire to follow certain agency dogmatics that demand the most expensive equipment and approach.

I dive sidemount-technical nowadays. My rig cost $250 to make. I had to buy an extra regulator second stage ($300), an extra bottom timer ($80) and a copy of Multideco ($80). I already had DSMBs, reels, torches etc... I don't need expensive canister lights, tech computers and 'Blue-H' taxed equipment. I needed some new hoses, for the right routing ($120) and a workhorse deco regulator ($160) plus O2 clean.

For a warm-water, open-circuit technical extended-range dive, run-times ~80min, I'll pay $30 per dive for the boat and tanks (air). I use 50% deco gas (works fine in that range with VPM) at $10 for an AL80 that'll do 2 dives. (Philippines prices)

For sure, the cost goes up when you want to do dives below 50m, or with extensively longer bottom times, or overhead environment where helium might be necessary at shallower depths... but those are things you progress to. The point being, that you can gradually progress your tech diving and off-set significant costs over a longer time-span.

You'll be a better technical diver with 000's of progressively advanced dives under you belt than if you spent that money on flash gear. I see very 'trendy' tech/DIR divers all the time. They do most of their diving in swimming pools practicing looking good and have spent 10 or 20x more on their kit than I have. They 'look' the part, but can they walk-the-walk? Not from what I've seen....

I think it's admirable to 'begin with the end in mind'... but think there is ample scope for a progressive approach within that philosophy. You don't need to be equipped as per an elite tech diver when you first take your baby steps and develop your initial experience.

If you insist on draping yourself in Halcyon gear and expensive novelties, then you might need a second mortgage. You're better to spend your budget on excellent training and more diving...

A fool and their money is easily parted... and the scuba industry is well geared to cause that parting.... especially the tech diving industry...and even more so the 'DIR agency fringe'...

+1 on Deco for Divers. I consider it mandatory reading for anyone considering technical training.

I really don't think that tech 'has' to be that expensive. Diving within the 30-50m range, assuming trimix is not needed, can be quite affordable. For sure, it's a little more expensive than recreational diving, but you don't HAVE to speed a small fortune on it. That's just an option for people with money to burn or an unquestioning desire to follow certain agency dogmatics that demand the most expensive equipment and approach.

I dive sidemount-technical nowadays. My rig cost $250 to make. I had to buy an extra regulator second stage ($300), an extra bottom timer ($80) and a copy of Multideco ($80). I already had DSMBs, reels, torches etc... I don't need expensive canister lights, tech computers and 'Blue-H' taxed equipment. I needed some new hoses, for the right routing ($120) and a workhorse deco regulator ($160) plus O2 clean.

For a warm-water, open-circuit technical extended-range dive, run-times ~80min, I'll pay $30 per dive for the boat and tanks (air). I use 50% deco gas (works fine in that range with VPM) at $10 for an AL80 that'll do 2 dives. (Philippines prices)

For sure, the cost goes up when you want to do dives below 50m, or with extensively longer bottom times, or overhead environment where helium might be necessary at shallower depths... but those are things you progress to. The point being, that you can gradually progress your tech diving and off-set significant costs over a longer time-span.

You'll be a better technical diver with 000's of progressively advanced dives under you belt than if you spent that money on flash gear. I see very 'trendy' tech/DIR divers all the time. They do most of their diving in swimming pools practicing looking good and have spent 10 or 20x more on their kit than I have. They 'look' the part, but can they walk-the-walk? Not from what I've seen....

I think it's admirable to 'begin with the end in mind'... but think there is ample scope for a progressive approach within that philosophy. You don't need to be equipped as per an elite tech diver when you first take your baby steps and develop your initial experience.

If you insist on draping yourself in Halcyon gear and expensive novelties, then you might need a second mortgage. You're better to spend your budget on excellent training and more diving...

A fool and their money is easily parted... and the scuba industry is well geared to cause that parting.... especially the tech diving industry...and even more so the 'DIR agency fringe'...

+1 on Deco for Divers. I consider it mandatory reading for anyone considering technical training.
"A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion."

"When men are full of envy they disparage everything, whether it be good or bad."

"Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind."

Let go Andy . . .just let it go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom