• Navy Seal

Votes: 9 1.1%
  • Blue Reef

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • other

Votes: 353 45.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I typcially use the cheapest watch available that is waterproof to over 150'. My computer has a watch/day/date function so a watch is actually duplicate technology. Besides, it is typically under the wet suit on my wrist and harder to access under water. I just got back from a week long liveaboard in Belize and at least 3 divers onboard had their higher priced dive watches flood. I realize that this was probably a freek coincidence since the watches made specifically for diving are generally better made than the cheapies ...but still it happened. Just prior to this last trip I bought a simple generic (no name) digital watch for $7 at Walmart that was rated "water resistant" to 265 feet. I figured for that level of investment I could afford the risk. I work the watch on all dives and hit depths in excess of 90 feet. The watch performed fine and it still ticking.

As a young diver back in the 70's I had Seiko and Citizen dive watches but over the years they all failed. They were sort of "trophies" on my wrist and a message to others that I WAS A SCUBA DIVER. But these days I'd rather spend my money on a new BCD, regulator, fins or mask.

Just my $ .02

'Slogger

Tag Heuer 2000 Professional
... Proceeded by acouple of Casio's that didn't wear out. Just got too scuffed up to wear daily...

One Day.....DOXA SUB750T

Citizen Aqualand.

bought for £20 what a bargain.

Omega Seamaster 300m on either a rubber strap or steel bracelet. IWC makes the best dive watch imo. The Aquatimer chronograph. You can do bottom time and decompression stops at the same time.

kgdiver:
Omega Seamaster 300m on either a rubber strap or steel bracelet. IWC makes the best dive watch imo. The Aquatimer chronograph. You can do bottom time and decompression stops at the same time.

Word of caution to Omega Seamaster users. When using heavy gloves and rotating your wrist, the screw down crown of the Seamaster can become unscrewed, for example when doing valve shutdown drills in doubles. The first time this happened to me it was an easy repair because I was timing my shutdown drill and was only in 20ft freshwater training. Omega inspected the watch, lubed and serviced and said it was fine. The second time, it happened was in saltwater, a good bit deeper. That time, Omega wanted 200 less than a new one would have been. Thankfully I ended the dive safely since the Seamaster was my backup timer. It was a great, reliable watch for recreational diving for many, many years and I enjoyed it on several hundred dives, but I now dive with a Suunto D9 and a VR3.

~Marlinspike

Just a simple Swiss Army watch rated to 300'. I have seen too many divers with nice dive watches get lost, flooded or stolen.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

PhotoTJ:
I like Citizen a lot; I have two Promaster Divers... I think Citizen makes the best Value/Dollar watches out there.:D

I'm with you on this TJ!
I have two Promasters (one for me, and one for the son to use).

Everyday wear - Casio GShock (cheap and water proof).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom