What are your buddy "requirements"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahhhg

almost had you, got of the line at the last minute.

well i know how to win our next DIR vs non DIR debate don't I

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
I'll dive with anybody.
It may be a very short dive.
Rick :)

I agree with Rick. The exception would be some one who starts talking s*^t about everyone else they see. They may be safe in the water, but diving with a buddy is most fun on the surface.

Cheers and safe diving with new people,
Sherpa

I dive with everyone, if I dont know the buddy, most probably our firs dive together will be a swallow dive...

I'll dive with anyone cause I'm a pretty new diver myself. I feel more confident with more experienced divers but everyone starts somewhere so it goes with the territory. If we didn't dive with newbies the sport would be pretty dead.

O-ring, come on now, we know you've got a girl, send Aquatec a picture of "Inflatable Irene".

To the point of the thread, I'll dive in confined water (quarry/lake/pond/calm river/potenially a shore dive in the ocean) with anyone who has gear. I'll make suggestions about gear configuration, buddy procedures and dive planning. If I am comfortable with them I'll do more.

Dave D

I was certified in 1994 and spent the first years of my diving as the odd man out on the dive boat. I travelled with my wife and kids who do not dive and had to buddy up with strangers all the time. I learned to ask questions. The two most important were: "When is the last time you dived?" and "How many dives do you have?" I learned to adapt my profile and attitude based upon the answers to those questions. My experiences ranged from being buddied with a divemaster from Scapa Flow with over 4,000 dives to being paired with a seasick newbie who puked her reg a couple of times (interesting to watch). It was an interesting way to learn to dive. The biggest drawback is that you didn't really feel comfortable asking those stupid questions you can ask your buddy/friend. I've learned a lot more since I started travelling with two close friends.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
paired with a seasick newbie who puked her reg a couple of times

I've never seen that before. You'd think the seasickness would go away after she got in the water. That'd be scary if you were in deep water

What’d do with a diver that abandons his buddy on a dive and his buddy doesn’t come back?
I didn’t see it, but I was there to hear the report after the diver was reporter missing. Quote from assigned dive buddy: “The last time I saw him he was at 70 ft. with 700 lbs and I think he was headed towards the anchor line.”
The missing diver had approximately 5 hours total bottom time and was a long time friend of his assigned dive buddy who had abandoned him. This alleged friend shows no signs of remorse for his misdeeds to this day. I get physically sick every time I see him.
:(

chepar once bubbled...
Do you have minimum "requirements" that must be met before diving with someone?
Need more info. Male or female?

If male, he just needs to be competent and know where to keep the muzzle of his speargun pointed. He also needs to learn where the scrub brushes are and start cleaning on the way back to port, if seas permit, and show a willingness to buy the beer and chip in for gas and oil.

If female, what size breasts are we talking about here? :D

well i know how to win our next DIR vs non DIR debate don't I
I can't have any more of those...I have a quota of one DIR debate per month and I am over my limit until 2004. We can argue then, though :D

O-ring, come on now, we know you've got a girl, send Aquatec a picture of "Inflatable Irene".
I can't send it...she doubles as my SMB and she is properly stowed, DIR style, in my backplate MC pack. The next time I get the "urge" to deploy her, I will snap a quick photo for Aquatec. BTW, she is open circuit...for obvious reasons :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom