Is the Deep cert really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You refer to yourself as a Marine Scientist and a Master Instructor and this is the **** you post. I applaud your achievements but your total lack of thinking on this issue is reprehensible. ZERO credibility and unethical - ad hominin attack on the poster and no meaningful response to the questions at hand. You (and those who parroted you) don't know the correct answers

General Rules
• Ascend from all dives at a rate not to exceed 18m (most DC's now use 9m/per minute) per minute.
• When planning a dive in cold water or under conditions that might be strenuous, plan the dive assuming the depth is 4m deeper than actual.
• Plan repetitive dives so each successive dive is to a shallower depth. Limit repetitive dives to 30m or shallower.
• Never exceed the limits of this planner and, whenever possible, avoid diving to the limits of the planner. 42m is for emergency purposes only, do not dive to this depth.

I feel my comment of old training, not updated just keeps getting more justified. That you teach is even more disturbing.

That's crazy...uncomfortably sharing air when you're practically at the surface in the least stressful conditions. I wonder what they'd be like down deep; the diver actually missed a great training opportunity. Another reason I prefer diving solo with divers like this allowed in the water.

I spoke to that diver after the dive. Apparently he was a newer diver. The guy was quite large and was doing well if he could last 30 minutes on a 60 foot dive. It was only after I spoke to him did I find out why he aborted the safety stop early. That dive was an excursion off of a cruise ship. I think that you get a different level of diver off of those in general.

CITA who I think I mentioned earlier, mandates a regulator 20 feet down under the boat. I think it is for that purpose. I was on one dive with CBBR on Cayman Brac when a diver actually needed to do just that. He got a lot of looks from the boat crew once he surfaced.

It seems to me that expecting a newer diver uncomfortable sharing air to do so just in order to complete an optional stop is asking for real trouble. Whether or not he should be allowed back in the water is a separate issue.

Why is 40m PADI's absolute maximum?
It's not. They do technical courses for diving below 40m/132ft.

If you mean "why is 40m PADI's recreational diving maximum depth" then, as you obviously know, it's where there's real danger with greatly increased risks. Also, it is wholly inappropriate to dive beyond that depth on a single ali80, due to the small amount of gas available, lack of redundancy, need for decompression, moderate to severe narcosis impairment (and gas now density).

For all diving, there's loads of maximum depths. 18m for OW, 30m for AOW, 40m for Deep Speciality.
For technical divers, there's various other maximum depths: 45m for ANDP, 52m for ART, 55m for Extended Range, 60m for normoxic trimix, 30m,40m and 45m for MOD1, 60m and 70m for MOD2.

Then there's the maximum limits for the kit and gas you've got. OC uses a max PPO2 of 1.4 and 1.6; thus nitrox 32% is 1.4/0.32=4.375=33m, etc., etc.

If anyone wants to be a dumb fool and go against those limits, fill yer boots. More deaths by ignorant and untrained people pushing it because of Dunning Kruger; those who don't know enough to know how dangerous it is.

Back
Top Bottom