Is the Deep cert really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned diving from the book "The silent world".
Cousteau , Emile Gagnan , Dumas were my heroes .
But were they giants ?
I was soon able to reach her freediving limits. Gigants have much other limits .
In terms of technology, Cousteau did not come up with the simple and logical solution of the one way valve on the diver for the Fernez aparatus and Emile Gagnan's first protptype had the diaphragm in the wrong position and the exhalation valve far away from it . Gigant's ? shure no .
But they showed you a way to dive and that's why they were my hero's
This sounds like comparing the Wright brothers and all the early pioneers of aviation with today's pilots and flying standards. If you've got the money, you would easily get your pilots licence by progressing through a standardised set of courses. All of that training was simply not available to the early aviators.

Similarly the flying machines nowadays have very little in common with the early wooden aircraft aside from the basic physics. Contemporary aircraft and technology is type-approved with no modifications allowed. Navigation is no longer an issue with the advent of GPS and advanced mapping. Similarly the cockpit equipment available on the most basic of modern aircraft wasn't available to the pioneers.

Diving's like that. Roll up, roll up, pay a dollar in and take a course. It's pretty safe and well controlled. Similarly the equipment which is type approved, even if it is a CE approval. Tanks, regulators and even BCDs are tested. Computers work out your deco obligation as you go. Reliable decompression and oxygen toxicity planners are available.

Moving to deeper+longer+overheads is a simple progression. Courses are available, so many people want to sell you suitable equipment too. You don't need to be an explorer, just commit a few hundred hours and you're sorted. Not forgetting to pay the $$$$$s for the kit and caboodle.

Why are cavediving, technical diving and wreck diving so popular today?
Doesn't that also have to do with the challenge ?
One likes a 6 hour cave dive with 4 hours deco, another gets high on a short air deep.
Neither is really safe.

Cave diving is pretty safe if you follow the rules and use your learned skills and experience. Similarly deep diving using CCR with mixed gases. Main thing for both is the money required to acquire the skills and equipment, then practice to develop the knowledge and experience.

It's pretty safe, although when things go wrong, it may well result in injury and death. However, this will be proportionately considerably lower than that of the time of the pioneers.

Diving uses the same valves combined with diving the ocean is as challenging as it ever will be just as before

Perhaps todays system and its gear, has been modified, to more embrace the peoples of the day capabilities

So, I accidentally ran across this PADI blog regarding diving "restrictions". Interesting.

1723554702515.png

The Deep Diver specialty is briefly mentioned at the end of the blog.

So, I accidentally ran across this PADI blog regarding diving "restrictions". Interesting.
I would be interested in knowing if the blog is an official policy statement by PADI, or are thes blog articles unvetted by PADI? The same author of this blog article has penned such tomes as "Can You Fart While Diving." Andrew Keaveny, Author at

The Deep Diver specialty is briefly mentioned at the end of the blog.

Does not matter what PADI says their recommendations have no legal authority.

The Blue Hole is Not a Beginner Dive. It’s dark, deep and – if you don’t have the appropriate training and experience – dangerous.

Your dive guide may take you down to 40 metres/131 feet.

If you don’t have the training and experience to dive this deep, complete your PADI® Advanced Open Water certification or take the Deep Diver Specialty course before you dive the Blue Hole. Experienced divers should pay close attention during the briefing and ensure they never lose sight of the dive guide.

I would be interested in knowing if the blog is an official policy statement by PADI, or are thes blog articles unvetted by PADI? The same author of this blog article has penned such tomes as "Can You Fart While Diving." Andrew Keaveny, Author at
Definitely at deco.

Lesson: keep your nose out when someone asks for their back dryzip to be undone!

The blog is linked off the main PADI website. Official?
1723563243774.png

Common myths:
- Open Water divers can't go past 60 feet
- Advanced Divers can't go past 100 feet
- Deep Diver required to go to 130 feet

Once you are certified as an Open Water Scuba Diver, you are a certified recreational diver. What is the max depth of recreational diving? 130 feet.

Therefore, an Open Water diver can go to 130 feet.

The reality is all these dive certifications out there (advanced, deep, etc..) aren't so much to say you're certified to do that type of dive, but more so for dive operations to be able to enforce a standard and have proof that you (might) have done that type of dive with an instructor already.

There are plenty of people out there who dive dry suits but aren't certified. There are also plenty of divers that go to mexico post Open Water certifications and do 90+ foot dives.

At the end of the day, you should ask yourself if you truly know what you're doing. The deeper you go, the more risk there is. If you understand your gas consumption, stay on top of your air and pay attention to you NDL, there's really no problem. However, officially, I would always recommend doing those dives "beyond your training limits" with a professional/instructor before going to some dive charter in a remote destination and conducting it on your own for the first time.

Common myths:
- Open Water divers can't go past 60 feet
- Advanced Divers can't go past 100 feet
- Deep Diver required to go to 130 feet

Once you are certified as an Open Water Scuba Diver, you are a certified recreational diver. What is the max depth of recreational diving? 130 feet.

Therefore, an Open Water diver can go to 130 feet.

The reality is all these dive certifications out there (advanced, deep, etc..) aren't so much to say you're certified to do that type of dive, but more so for dive operations to be able to enforce a standard and have proof that you (might) have done that type of dive with an instructor already.

There are plenty of people out there who dive dry suits but aren't certified. There are also plenty of divers that go to mexico post Open Water certifications and do 90+ foot dives.

At the end of the day, you should ask yourself if you truly know what you're doing. The deeper you go, the more risk there is. If you understand your gas consumption, stay on top of your air and pay attention to you NDL, there's really no problem. However, officially, I would always recommend doing those dives "beyond your training limits" with a professional/instructor before going to some dive charter in a remote destination and conducting it on your own for the first time.
An open water qualified diver can dive as deep as they like.

However, if they'd like to come back up alive...

The issue is a beginner in any skill doesn't know what the issues are when doing advanced "things". They might get away with it. Maybe they won't.

Doing a deep diving course should cover many of the issues they've not experienced before. Like planning :)

An open water qualified diver can dive as deep as they like.

However, if they'd like to come back up alive...

The issue is a beginner in any skill doesn't know what the issues are when doing advanced "things". They might get away with it. Maybe they won't.

Doing a deep diving course should cover many of the issues they've not experienced before. Like planning :)

We are saying the same thing. I am only saying there is no official enforcement of what your depth limit it is given your certification level (up to 130 feet).

Obviously, if you are an open water diver and chose to go to 130 feet, you are not only putting yourself at great risk but also your buddy. I would advise divers who are wanting to go deep to either take the applicable courses (advanced/deep) or get a vast amount of dives under your belt and slowly work up towards your target depth.

As long as the diver has a complete understanding of NDL, how pressure impacts us at depth and how gas consumption can be impacted, they should have the necessary foundation to conduct a deep dive (with a buddy) safely.

Keep in mind, (at least PADI) considers anything over 60 feet to be "deep." It is highly likely and common for certified "Deep Divers" to never have gone past 100 feet due to instruction quality or environment. This is why I personally never take any certification as proof that they are "Advanced" divers or "Deep" divers. It's very possible to get certified completing bare minimum course requirements. A 60 foot dive and a 130 foot dive a very, very different.

Back
Top Bottom