What are your buddy "requirements"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
I'll dive with anybody.
It may be a very short dive.
Rick :)

Makes the most sense......:boom:

guerosd..find another thread..this crap has been done to death............:boom:

I'll talk to someone first and get a feel for who they are and what they can do. It's very true that a good part of the fun is on the surface. I'll dive with anybody who I "click" with, but it depends what I'm doing. If I'm doing something more challenging, I won't dive with a newbie. If the person is obnoxious, I won't dive with them at all. _B-o

It's been my impression that the majority of divers are pretty cool people. However, I've run into a few real wienies (but I don't know if I'd consider some of them "real" divers). The wienies are the braggarts, the liars, the people who have no respect for the environment or the sport.

AquaTec once bubbled...

My dive buddies are my best friends, we get drunk together, we fight together, we trust our lives to each other. we share naked pictures of our girlfriends.

Dang, glad I ain't dating you! If you break up, do you sell their photos on the net?

jiveturkey once bubbled...

I've never seen that before. You'd think the seasickness would go away after she got in the water. That'd be scary if you were in deep water

I've been seasick while in the water myself. I've had it go away once I left the boat, but one time it lingered while I was UW. Boy, did that suck. It was a shallow, relatively non-challenging dive so I stuck it out but had to abort after 20 minutes so I could go back on the boat and feed the fish. :upset:

Now I take Bonine every time.

Well, one thing I recently learned is to not accept certification level or agency as proof of anything as regards buddy team practices.

I had a really bad day last week. Tried to do a wreck dive, unsuccessfully, but did learn a couple things in the process. This is quite embarrassing but I'll tell the story anyway. Names, other than mine, are omitted.

Seas were bumpy, 2-4 plus, day was hot, close to 90. The dive was to be 225' for 30 minutes. Due to this I decided to wear my 104s and, for various reasons, my drysuit. That was my first mistake, it was just too damn hot to be dressed like that carrying so much weight on my back.

Standing on the platform, Gavin in one hand, holding on with the other, waiting for the captain to get the boat to the float ball I was so hot that I gave serious thought to passing out and/or puking. I was facing forward, my back to the ocean, as I had no method of supporting myself if I were to turn around.

When we got the signal I just sorta fell backwards. That, it turned out, was my second mistake. more on that in a minute...

I hit the water, got myself turned around and oriented, got my scooter out in front and hit the trigger. Nothing happened.

OK, with that not working its time for plan B as I am now sinking fairly quickly. Time to kick, huh? Ooops, that's not working right either.... Determined to figure out why I take a look around and notice a fin sinking below me. Now where have I seen that particular fin before?

A quick glance at my gauge, 120? Hmmmm.... time to change the scenario here I think. Up we go, yep, using my wing to lift myself (I know, its terrible but it beats kicking with one leg).

Mr. Boat Capt, please come fetch me out the water?

After the dive, both of my two buddies said something very similar to "I thought about swimming after that fin but....".

During the whole time that I was floating around out there, trying to figure out why so many things were off the wire at the same time, did either of my buddies touch me? Nope. Did either attempt to catch my fin? Nope. Did either even ask if I was OK? Nope.

As it turns out the little wire had come off the pulley in the handle of my scooter, probably from banging around on the boat ride and when I did my less than gracefull entry the impact of the water apparently just flipped my spring strap off of my heel. The fault for the CF was mine but I was, and still am, considerably less than pleased with the assistance I got from my 2 buddies, both of whom are GUE Tech 1 divers.

Tom

You didn't share the secret handshake before the dive... they therefore knew you were not GUE trained and hence had no obligation to save you whatsoever.

Just kidding... of course...

I don't blame you for being peeved.

guerosd once bubbled...
Certification level does not mean squat. I've seen PLENTY of instructor certified folks that I wouldnt dive w/with.

The only certification that IMHO means anything is DIR Fundamentals (let the flame wars begin)... At least you are ensured of some level of competant bouyancy control and ability to do a proper air share. Thats very hit or miss w/ other dive organizations.

Outside of DIR schooled buddies I only have about 2 people who I dive with and trust, thats it.

I apologize for the war of words that will ensue but as I said... this is MY opinion. :)

I know this is from page one but I got here late and will type fast to catch up.

You are entitled to your opinion but my opinion is that your opinion shows your lack of experience. Having only run into two non-GUE trained divers who can dive proves my point. Try getting out more.

I dive with lots of different folks with different backgrounds. The dive must be chosen to mach the ability of the team. Experienced divers rarely present any course history as proof of experience because they have plenty of the real thing. The best divers I know were mapping caves when JJ was saving to buy his first snorkel (ok, I made that up)

As I prefer to travel alone and normally end up being buddied with strangers, I've learned to appreciate some buddies more than others. I try my best to be a good buddy and hope to obtain the same. General criteria for me:

Safety-consciousness

Certification level appropriate for depth and type of dive. Beyond that, cert cards mean little (I've had exceptional guides who were only open water and also been with divemasters who shouldn't have been given an open water card)

Confidence and the ability to handle emergencies (panickers can make for scary dives)

A basic level of courtesy and consideration

Similar objectives in diving (it really is no fun when you want to observe and enjoy the sealife but the buddy wants to break a swimming speed record).

Male, 25 to 40 years of age and very good looking (optional)

guerosd once bubbled...
Certification level does not mean squat. I've seen PLENTY of instructor certified folks that I wouldnt dive w/with.

The only certification that IMHO means anything is DIR Fundamentals (let the flame wars begin)... At least you are ensured of some level of competant bouyancy control and ability to do a proper air share. Thats very hit or miss w/ other dive organizations.

Outside of DIR schooled buddies I only have about 2 people who I dive with and trust, thats it.

I apologize for the war of words that will ensue but as I said... this is MY opinion. :)

Boy i would love to get into that with you , but i don't want to turn this into a DIR vs non DIR issue. but if someone else does then I have you in the cross hairs

I get him first, see my post above.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I get him first, see my post above.
Heck, I'd jump in there too but he really doesn't sound like much fun at a dive anyway. Since I don't want to dive with him, I guess ya'll can have 'em ta yerselves! :D

(My apologies for the slang for those of you who are not familiar with "american hick talkin.") :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom