What are your buddy "requirements"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have minimum "requirements" that must be met before diving with someone? For example, I have seen over a period of time several posts in which people state they will not dive with someone unless they have at least a Rescue diver certification.

So . . . do you have requirements in certification level? Equipment used? Type of snacks brought for the SI? :)

Also, what is your reasoning behind your requirements - at least in simple recreational diving. It's understood that certain dives require certain training and experience.

I dive with brand newbies as well as experienced divers and their level of experience determines the site/conditions/dive parameters.

Obviously I am talking about certified divers with appropriate equipment for OW diving.

Certification level does not mean squat. I've seen PLENTY of instructor certified folks that I wouldnt dive w/with.

The only certification that IMHO means anything is DIR Fundamentals (let the flame wars begin)... At least you are ensured of some level of competant bouyancy control and ability to do a proper air share. Thats very hit or miss w/ other dive organizations.

Outside of DIR schooled buddies I only have about 2 people who I dive with and trust, thats it.

I apologize for the war of words that will ensue but as I said... this is MY opinion. :)

I'll dive with anybody.
It may be a very short dive.
Rick :)

I will dive with anyone that exhibits a safe attitude.

Chad

I will dive with anyone that wants to go for a splash.

If I am doing demanding or Technical dives I will be a little picky and only dive with those I have first done a checkout dive with.

But within recreational depth limits I will dive with anyone. If they want hand with skills I am also more than happy to help them out.

IMHO guerosd you are a goose, and by your post a typical example of why people shun DIR

Anybody who has a backup reg or octo and agrees to my "keep an eye on your buddy all the time" rule :)

Nothing formal, just meet at a quarry and dive with each other a couple times before doing any deep ocean stuff. Our thinking is that they are probably just as nervous about diving with someone new as we are, so we do a mutual quarry checkout dive to quell any suspicions of idiocy/incompetency.

IMHO guerosd you are a goose, and by your post a typical example of why people shun DIR
This may be true, but it is pretty nice doing a mutual checkout with someone who has taken a DIRF...boy, those air share drills sure go much more smoothly :)

I agree on the cert stuff...they mean absolutely nothing given the standards that were met to receive them. A trained monkey could at least pass DM/DC..

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
He's not a goose. He just has an easy way to qualify potential dive buddies... and that is his perogative... you shouldn't be so judgemental.

And GUErosd I agree that when someone who has been GUE trained wants to do a dive with me I know what I am getting in a dive buddy and we can skip the introductory shore dive.

But I will dive with just about anybody... at least once...

Shoot.... I'd even do a shore dive with Sydney_Diver! :wink:

See... folks are soooo touchy.... No where in my post did I say that everyone non-DIR is incompetant, or that any diver worth his salt has to be DIR. All I did was state my personal observation, that I find it alot easier to find safe buddy concious divers when I know they have gone through a GUE class. Thats it. Sheeeez. :rolleyes:

What the heck is "goose" translate to in english (US)? :confused: Aw forget it... I dont much care anyway :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom