What are the mask preferences out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajb

Reaction score
What you guys like? probably gonna start a huge debate here... and yep, I'll go to a dive shop to try some on. looking to replace my mask, what do you all like? Medium build, normal fitting face (except area between lip and nose is a little smaller than average). Looking for excellent peripheral views (including down), easy to clear (don't really have a preference for purge or not), good seal. like photography but not so into it that I ever really considered a dark skirted mask. If you had your choice, what make and models would you go for?

Jim

Step 1: If it comfortably stays on your face without a strap if you use a tiny bit of nose suction, you have a winner.
Step 2: Rate the field of vision
Step 3: Choose a color (black is best but any color'll do)

Don't get a purge valve - It will eventually leak and clearing a mask is a basic skill.

I have a Mares Opera and it fits me like a glove. Took a while as I have a Roman nose (roamin all over my face...)

Preferences will be all over the board...I prefer to think of a good mask like a woman.

I like them in black skirts...for photography purposes
No frills...like purge valves
And wont cost you a fortune.

My choices:
AQ quartz- tuff as hell and good fit for a lip caterpillar carrier...nice small mask, hangs around the neck nicely.
Mares XS - nice over sized vis....but the side latches/ buttons are very touchy...had to do some mods.
Atomic Subframe - also good with a "stache".

Good luck
O

I really like my Atomic Sub-Frame. Did not realize how much I liked it unitl I sent it off to have readers attached. While without it I used my old Visage mask which I used to like but no longer do! I was really glad to get my Atomic back from the optician!

Gaffer

Oceanic shadow (Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Masks - Shadow Series)

Fit is first priority, but I have a mask friendly face, I haven't found too many that don't give a good seal.

I bought my first one to put in my BC pocket and it ended up as my main mask, so then I had to buy another one as a spare. My other masks are collecting dust (only have about six).

I only look at low volume masks. I then find masks that fit. I then look at comfort. Of those that pass all three tests, I look at price. I paid $18 for my current mask. I usually look at masks at tent sales so I can have a spare.

I only look at low volume masks. I then find masks that fit. I then look at comfort. Of those that pass all three tests, I look at price. I paid $18 for my current mask. I usually look at masks at tent sales so I can have a spare.

What is the great advantage of a low volume mask?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom